the next Beatles thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ringo Starr recruits Paul McCartney on new album

Ringo Starr's forthcoming solo album will feature bass and backing vocals from an old, mop-topped pal from Liverpool. Paul McCartney appears on two tracks on Y Not, Starr's fifteenth solo record and the first he has produced himself.

"Paul was doing the Grammys, so he came over to the house and was playing bass on [new song] Peace Dream," Starr explained. "I played him this other track and Paul said, 'Give me the headphones. Give me a pair of cans'. And he went to the mic and he just invented that part where he follows on my vocal. That was all Paul McCartney, and there could be nothing better."

The song, Walk With Me, was co-written by Starr and Van Dyke Parks, the 66-year-old arranger who has worked with everyone from the Beach Boys to Joanna Newsom. McCartney's vocals "make it bigger and ... fuller", Starr said. "It makes the song like a conversation between us, and that was Paul's idea to do his part one beat behind me. That's why he's a gen-i-us and an incredible bass player."

McCartney last teamed up with Starr for his 1998 album, Vertical Man, which also featured George Harrison and George Martin. More recently, they appeared together at a transcendental meditation benefit in New York earlier this year. Besides the former Beatle, Y Not's other "gen-i-uses" include Joss Stone, Ben Harper, All Starr bandmate Richard Marx and Ringo's brother-in-law, Joe Walsh. Still, the Fab Four drummer hasn't turned this into a grotesque comedy of cameos. Starr runs the show, also making his debut as producer.

"I was the least involved in the production of the Beatles' records. And then [the same] with my solo records," he said. "Then suddenly it's another point in your life, and you say, 'I'm going to do this now'. So I'll be producing everything I make from now on. That's the good news. It's a confidence thing, I suppose. And Y Not is really another way of me saying, 'Yes I Can.'" Slogan aside, there is no sign of Barack Obama on Starr's new record.

Y Not will be released on 12 January 2010.

Vertical Man had a track with Ringo, Paul, George H and George M - or they are just all on the album on different tracks?

or further:

Has there been a post Lennon death track that featured the other 3 Beatles not including the Anthology stuff?

Vertical Man had a track with Ringo, Paul, George H and George M - or they are just all on the album on different tracks?

or further:

Has there been a post Lennon death track that featured the other 3 Beatles not including the Anthology stuff?

And when do we get to hear the mono "Freebird" (and that other song)?

Do you mean "Free As A Bird"? and the other song was "Real Love"...

I've heard these songs for years but didn't know it was the Beatles up until a month or 2 ago. that would be cool if there were more songs like this floating around in the archives. if there's not, maybe Yoko Ono could forward me some unheard Lennon vocal tracks and I can add ukulele and harmonica to them. they'll be big hits and make everyone a lot of money.

There is some pretty good information on the Wikipedia page for Free As A Bird

McCartney then asked Ono if she had any unreleased recordings by Lennon, so she sent him cassette tapes of four songs.[4][5] "Free as a Bird" was recorded by Lennon in 1977, in his and Ono's Dakota building apartment in New York City, but was not complete. Lennon introduced the song on the cassette by imitating a New York accent and saying, "Free - as a boid" (bird).[6][7][8] The other songs were Grow Old With Me, Real Love, and Now and Then.[9] Ono said: "It was all settled before then, I just used that occasion to hand over the tapes personally to Paul. I did not break up The Beatles, but I was there at the time, you know? Now I'm in a position where I could bring them back together and I would not want to hinder that. It was kind of a situation given to me by fate."[10]

Which was the one that was planned for Anthology 3 but scrapped after George Harrison didn't like the result? (At least, I think I read that that had happened...)

I think that one was called 'Now and Then' or something like that. It seems like I remember that I remember reading a long time ago that the song was an unfinished song from the Get Back sessions. I was thinking it might show up on the Beatles Rock Band as one of the hidden videos, but I guess not.

No, I said which tracks NOT including the Anthology tracks.

In other words, which tracks had 3 Beatles on it - any combination - after they broke up?

I know some of them guested on the solo records - I think George and Ringo were on some of John's early stuff, but I'm not sure there was ever a track that had John/George/Ringo all on one, etc. Paul seemed to be the odd one out at the end so I wonder if he ever had even 2 of the other 3 on any post Beatles work.

In other words, which tracks had 3 Beatles on it - any combination - after they broke up?

I know some of them guested on the solo records - I think George and Ringo were on some of John's early stuff, but I'm not sure there was ever a track that had John/George/Ringo all on one, etc. Paul seemed to be the odd one out at the end so I wonder if he ever had even 2 of the other 3 on any post Beatles work.

I think all of them did some work on some of those early Ringo solo albums. But - I don't know of a session when they were all in the studio together. I think it was by way of demos, or coming in and guesting on a song.

I believe they all played on "When We Was Fab".

And I think Paul had a song shortly after John's death that they all played on.

I believe they all played on "When We Was Fab".

And I think Paul had a song shortly after John's death that they all played on.

They showed a Paul concert on Thanksgiving and he played a song I had never heard and it was about John.

I believe "All those years ago" by George had Paul and Ringo on it.

George Harrison - All Those Years Ago

Paul and Ringo guest on the track. Ringo may have played drums as well as providing backing, but I know Paul was only backing...I'm sure George still harbored some distaste for McCartney and purposely didn't let him do more.

I believe George and John were on chunks of Ringo's 1973 Ringo record. Wikipedia says:

"I'm the Greatest" - John on keys/backing vocals, George on guitars, Ringo on lead.

George is also all over the record with his guitar-work. The only McCartney contribution is "Six O'Clock" where he has some keys and backing vocals.

Interesting to note though that Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm, Rick Danko, and Garth Hudson (the Band sans Richard Manuel) are on the "Sunshine Life For Me (Sail Away Raymond)" track, alongside George, Ringo and Voormann.

edit:

"All Those Years Ago" credits

* George Harrison on lead guitar, vocals

* Paul McCartney on backing vocals

* Linda McCartney on backing vocals

* Denny Laine on backing vocals

* Al Kooper on keyboards

* Herbie Flowers on bass

* Ringo Starr on drums