the next Beatles thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we had Rock 'n' Roll Music, The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl, and Love Songs. I don't think I ever owned 20 Greatest Hits though.

There is also The Beatles Collection, Rarities, Reel Music (I think I had a tape of this one), and The Beatles: The Collection.

One fewer stop on the Liverpool Beatles tour as Ringo's birthplace is under threat of being demolished:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-10999705

Funny they call them "Welsh streets" - my grandparents lived in a terraced street exactly the same in Cardiff (though that style of terraced house is typical housing for industrial workers 100 years ago right across the country) - and so did I for the first 4 months of my life - which is about the same as Ringo did there it seems.

Ringo isn't all that well regarded in Liverpool after a few comments in TV interviews about being glad to get out, missing nothing about the city, and rarely going back etc. Famously, and funnily, afterwards some Scouse scally once lopped his head off the topiary memorial to the Fab Four that the council had set up.

RingoHeadlessPA_468x318.jpg

how do you like the mono box set? i just checked amazon and it looks like i can get it new for as cheap as $150.

be very careful with people selling them cheap. there are loads of cheap chinese knock-offs being sold. i actually bought one, and fortunately the person gave me the money back, after i proved to him it was fake - you might not be so lucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPBHT_O2_NU

that shows the fake, and i got my fake from amazon, so it's not just ebay

apart from that - the mono box set is the best version to get. for the sound and for the packaging etc...

be very careful with people selling them cheap. there are loads of cheap chinese knock-offs being sold. i actually bought one, and fortunately the person gave me the money back, after i proved to him it was fake - you might not be so lucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPBHT_O2_NU

that shows the fake, and i got my fake from amazon, so it's not just ebay

apart from that - the mono box set is the best version to get. for the sound and for the packaging etc...

yeah, i heard about that. i see that people are selling them used for as cheap as 98 bucks...i knew something must be up.

thanks for the heads up. i'll probably just buy it from best buy.

• 2 weeks later...

LENNONNYC

Watch a clip from the AMERICAN MASTERS: LENNONYC, a new film that takes an intimate look at the time Lennon, Yoko Ono and their son, Sean, spent living in New York City during the 1970s. The film premieres nationally Monday, November 22 at 9pm on PBS (check local listings). In this clip see archival performance footage and interviews with the musicians and recording engineers who worked with Lennon – Jim Keltner, Jack Douglas, Roy Cicala, Andrew Newmark, Klaus Voorman, and Earl Slick – all discussing John Lennon’s particular genius.

This is coming out October 5th:

Double Fantasy Stripped Down

I can't say I ever cared for that album. It may be interesting to hear it without the slick production though.

And without the Ono.

The Yoko songs are still on it. According to the tracks listed on Amazon.

Track Listings

1. (Just Like) Starting Over

2. Kiss Kiss Kiss

3. Cleanup Time

4. Give Me Something

5. I'm Losing You

6. I'm Moving On

7. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)

8. Watching The Wheels

9. Yes, I'm Your Angel

10. Woman

11. Beautiful Boys

12. Dear Yoko

13. Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him

14. Hard Times Are Over

The Yoko songs are still on it. According to the tracks listed on Amazon.

Track Listings

1. (Just Like) Starting Over

2. Kiss Kiss Kiss

3. Cleanup Time

4. Give Me Something

5. I'm Losing You

6. I'm Moving On

7. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)

8. Watching The Wheels

9. Yes, I'm Your Angel

10. Woman

11. Beautiful Boys

12. Dear Yoko

13. Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him

14. Hard Times Are Over

I suppose I am in the decided minority here as I find most of Lennon's work after Mind Games to be inane.

I suppose I am in the decided minority here as I find most of Lennon's work after Mind Games to be inane.

No that sounds about right. There are a few isolated killer songs #9 Dream, Nobody Told Me, Watching The Wheels, Stand By Me, but the rest of it I could give or take, I'd even put most of Mind Games and almost all of Sometime in New York City in with that group as well.

--Mike

I'm losing you, Beautiful boy, watching the wheels, Woman, Starting over...rank up there with his best solo work in my opinion, I'm surprised by the criticism.

I'm with Moss. Sure, it's hit or miss towards the end, but when it hits, it's as good as anything he ever did, and better than almost everything anyone else ever did.

I like the following John Lennon tunes, post-Beatles:

working class hero

god

imagine

jealous guy

woman is the nigger of the world

stand by me

(just like) starting over

beautiful boy

watching the wheels

woman

real love (or whatever the one from the Imagine soundtrack is)

I find the production on almost all of Lennon's solo work so horrible as to make much of it unlistenable. I wish I were able to get past that and open up to some more of the songs...

i wasn't big on his post Beatles stuff until there was a blog that had those radio shows that played his demos. a friend had given me Lennon Legend and most of the songs on there sounded a lot a like, so i figured he was kinda one note, but after getting the albums i saw that is not the case.

I like the following John Lennon tunes, post-Beatles:

working class hero

god

imagine

jealous guy

woman is the nigger of the world

stand by me

(just like) starting over

beautiful boy

watching the wheels

woman

real love (or whatever the one from the Imagine soundtrack is)

I find the production on almost all of Lennon's solo work so horrible as to make much of it unlistenable. I wish I were able to get past that and open up to some more of the songs...

You just gotta be plum outta your mind if you don't like 'Mind Games'.