the next Beatles thread

When the anthology box set came out, there was a single disc collection that came out called wonsaponatime, which i still have. There was a version of "i'm losing you" that lennon recorded with cheap trick. It was an awesome rocking version. Jack Douglas mentioned that cheap trick session for double fantasy in an interview I heard recently. He said that John was happy about the session and enjoyed it, but the rock direction for double fantasy wasn't what he was looking for, so it was abandoned. How many songs from double fantasy were recorded with cheap trick, I have no idea, but I believe it was several songs.

I've read various things about that over the years. I think I have also read that it was just Rick and Bun at the sessions.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From an interview with Bun for Earcandy magazine:

E.C.: What was it like playing with John Lennon on the 'Double Fantasy' sessions in 1980?

Bun E. Carlos: That was real cool, he played us a tape of him doing this one song, "I'm Losing You", and we kind of whipped together an arrangement of it and did it. It was real neat, he was playing rhythm guitar and singing live along with the tracks. It was kinda like a...definitely a highlight of that decade for me! You know, sitting there, drumming by him [John Lennon]...that's cool.

E.C.: That was just you and Rick, right?

Bun E. Carlos: Yeah, me and Rick and Tony Levin and George Small on piano.

E.C.: Until, the Lennon box set came out, we had to just imagine what these original versions sounded like. But, about 5 years abo I found a bootleg that had three of the songs listed: "I'm Losing You", "Moving On" and "Beautiful Boy". Are those the only three tracks you played on?

Bun E. Carlos: Mmmhuh, "Losing You", "Moving On" and Rick maybe on "Beautiful Boy". I went home cause we were going to Japan the next day. I wanted to go home and do my laundry, so I took off before he did.

E.C.: So, is that why your session work with Lennon ended, because of your scheduled trip to Japan?

Bun E. Carlos: Yeah, we went to Japan. After the trip we got in there and John was sitting in this booth and he just said, "I've done 22 songs out of 24 and I'm done cutting tracks."

E.C.: Were you ever given a reason why the tracks you played on for Lennon weren't used? Bun E. Carlos: They really didn't fit in with the rest of the record. It was a little bit harder & that was what I figured out. And then about two years later, a couple of people that were at the sessions said, "they had the sessions guys put on some headphones and play along with your stuff". And I was like, "what, that's real weird!?" I just figured it was because they didn't fit in with the rest of the tracks. They would have stuck out or something.

He won't home early to do laundry and missed playing on Beautiful boy? WTF?

Enjoyed listening to this:

The White Album 40 Years Later

When I was younger, I was pretty obsessed with Sgt Pepper's, The White Album, and Abbey Road, but these days I can't get enough of For Sale, Help, and Rubber Soul.

No Reply, Baby's in Black, What You're Doing, Help, I Need You, It's Only Love, Run For Your Life. Whenever I listen to these songs, it makes me want to write a song and/or give up songwriting altogether. You can't top this stuff.

Yikes, I really hate how this ends the album.

I think John even said this song wasn't too great.

Hard Days Night is the best all around pre-Revolver for me.

I guess what attracts me to that song is the lyrics. They're straight gangster.

I'll have to revisit Hard Day's Night next.

nope. i don't think the "one hand clapping" dvd is complete. i read somewhere that a couple of tracks aren't on it - however it is 52 minutes long - so it's still going to be good. i still think it's a very good deal, all the same - especially when you see how much that "darkness on the edge of town" set is costing - that really is a rip off.

i watched that jools holland - i didn't really like it, but i never like seeing that kind of thing - leave the past in the past.

i can't wait to see what they do with Ram and McCartney - i can't see how they're going to do 2 discs and a dvd with them, though.

Looked on the internet …

7.1. One Hand Clapping Theme

7.2. Jet

7.3. Soily

7.4. C Moon

7.5. Little Woman Love

7.6. Maybe I'm Amazed

7.7. My Love

7.8. Bluebird

7.9. Let's Love

7.10. All Of You

7.11. I'll Give You A Ring

7.12. Band on the Run

7.13. Live and Let Die

7.14. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five

7.15. Baby Face

… and on my “One Hand Clapping CD”.

This means, no “Let Me Roll It”, “Junior’s Farm”, “Wild Life/Hi Hi Hi“, “Go Now”, “Suïcide”, “Blue Moon of Kentucky” and other takes of “Soily” and “Jet“? That’s a lot!

Jet's on there. I think a couple of those other songs - Let Me Roll It & Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five - being two examples are in audio, I think. I'll have to check.

Edit: Hang on, I'm getting all confused now. You've got Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five on the track list.

Here's what it says on Amazon/

Disc: 1 1. Band on the Run 2. Jet 3. Bluebird 4. Mrs Vandebilt 5. Let Me Roll It 6. Mamunia 7. No Words 8. Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me) 9. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five Disc: 2 1. Helen Wheels 2. Country Dreamer 3. Bluebird [from One Hand Clapping] 4. Jet [from One Hand Clapping] 5. Let Me Roll It [from One Hand Clapping] 6. Band on the Run [from One Hand Clapping] 7. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five [from One Hand Clapping] 8. Country Dreamer [from One Hand Clapping] 9. Zoo Gang Disc: 3 1. Band on the Run Music Video 2. Mamunia Music Video 3. Album Promo [Featuring Band on the Run, Mrs Vandebilt, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five, Bluebird] 4. Helen Wheels Music Video 5. Wings In Lagos 6. Osterley Park 7. One Hand Clapping

do you know what "wings in lagos" or "osterley park" are? I think it's a lot of material, myself - for the price (£11.93 - in england on amazon)

umm, Rubber Soul??

yes, i'm aware of it. i don't seem to like it as much as others do. i don't see it as solid from beginning to end, especially the end like i mentioned above. that doesn't mean i think it sucks by any margin. i just like the interesting chords and sound of HDN better. all original songs, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed listening to this:

The White Album 40 Years Later

When I was younger, I was pretty obsessed with Sgt Pepper's, The White Album, and Abbey Road, but these days I can't get enough of For Sale, Help, and Rubber Soul.

No Reply, Baby's in Black, What You're Doing, Help, I Need You, It's Only Love, Run For Your Life. Whenever I listen to these songs, it makes me want to write a song and/or give up songwriting altogether. You can't top this stuff.

I freakin' love Beatles for Sale. It's a great bridge between the moptop era and the beginnings of mid-period exploration, also where the Dylan influence really starts to shine through. The opening trio of No Reply, I'm a Loser and Baby's in Black is absolutely killer. Also dig I'll Follow the Sun and I Don't Want to Spoil the Party ("Iiiiiiiiii still / looooooooove her"). I'd even put up the single I Feel Fine + She's a Woman against some of their more popular singles.

yes, i'm aware of it. i don't seem to like it as much as others do. i don't see it as solid from beginning to end, especially the end like i mentioned above. that doesn't mean i think it sucks by any margin. i just like the interesting chords and sound of HDN better. all original songs, too.

Sometimes I'm in the same boat - I can listen to A Hard Day's Night from start to finish every time, no problem. Sometimes I find myself skipping a few tracks on Rubber Soul. By "all original songs" do you mean all Lennon/McCartney originals? Rubber Soul is all originals too...but there's a few Harrison tracks and Ringo even gets a credit.

I love the heck out of Beatles For Sale too. Even Mr. Moonlight. I think the fact that it flies under the Beatlemania radar adds to it.

Also: why do I get so I excited when the Beatles thread has a new post to read? What could I possibly be expecting to learn?

Sometimes I'm in the same boat - I can listen to A Hard Day's Night from start to finish every time, no problem. Sometimes I find myself skipping a few tracks on Rubber Soul. By "all original songs" do you mean all Lennon/McCartney originals? Rubber Soul is all originals too...but there's a few Harrison tracks and Ringo even gets a credit.

You're right. I think I was confusing it with Help.

Luckily, I remember to catch the Lennon/American Masters thing last night. Seems like I had heard a lot of it before, but was cool to see nonetheless.

Anyone getting the Best of Apple album?

The Pitchfork review made it sound kinda interesting.

I saw an add for The Beatles coming to iTunes during the NFL game last night. I thought it said something about Sgt. Pepper's...selling over 3 million albums last year (or I read that somehwere recently). Can this be true?

I love the heck out of Beatles For Sale too. Even Mr. Moonlight. I think the fact that it flies under the Beatlemania radar adds to it.

Also: why do I get so I excited when the Beatles thread has a new post to read? What could I possibly be expecting to learn?

Agreed on all points, although I did learn quite a bit by reading Geoff Emerick's book recently.

I saw an add for The Beatles coming to iTunes during the NFL game last night. I thought it said something about Sgt. Pepper's...selling over 3 million albums last year (or I read that somehwere recently). Can this be true?

Considering that a newly remastered version was released last year, yes, I imagine it could very well be true.

Like me, you're hoping for the "John and George are actually alive and the band is re-forming to record their best album yet followed by a North American small club tour" announcement.

I freakin' love Beatles for Sale. It's a great bridge between the moptop era and the beginnings of mid-period exploration, also where the Dylan influence really starts to shine through. The opening trio of No Reply, I'm a Loser and Baby's in Black is absolutely killer. Also dig I'll Follow the Sun and I Don't Want to Spoil the Party ("Iiiiiiiiii still / looooooooove her"). I'd even put up the single I Feel Fine + She's a Woman against some of their more popular singles.

I agree, love that album. I also love that picture on the cover. You can just see what the last 2 years were like for them in their faces.