The best band in the 1990s

Just thought about this a little earlier. Curious to see what others think.

Pavement?

Radiohead?

Neutral Milk Hotel?

the Flaming Lips?

My Bloody Valentine?

Nirvana?

Beastie Boys?

Wilco?

REM?

Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Uncle Tupelo?

Let's hear it, folks. I'm def forgetting some bands. I personally am voting for Pavement. But my vote could change, I guess.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's certainly not MBV..._loveless_ came out in '90 i believe, and while it's a great record you've got to have more than one to be considered the best band.

some others I would consider:

Melvins

Guided By Voices

Sonic Youth (though i do love their SST recordings)

Yo La Tengo

Hood

Nick Cave

The Jesus Lizard

Tar

Sebadoh

Grifters

Sun City Girls

Of the bands mentioned thus far, Sonic Youth is the only name that made me think, "Hmmmm...that might be correct." It doesn't really mean anything though. I think they just jumped out as being really prolific and more interesting than most. If I had to choose the catalog of only one of the bands mentioned to live on a desert island with, I'd probably go with Beastie Boys. I'm not sure I really understand the question... :lol

not sure what the criteria is, but there were a lot of bands, and some that i will list that didn't come out in the 90's, but had a strong output during the decade

anyway, for me it's pearl jam, but there were quite a few that i think should be mentioned, some have been already...

wilco

sonic youth

radiohead

nirvana

pavement

yo la tengo

crowded house

nine inch nails

black crowes

oasis

blind melon

of montreal (someone mentioned them, i will too, but i don't think they made their best work until this decade)

flaming lips

primus

the cure

The best record of the 1990's was Leatherface's Mush. They weren't the best band though. So really, I'm offering very little here...

We should be friends! I love, love,love some Leatherface, and man "Mush" is aces. I saw them a few times in the 90's and every show seemed like the best show ever. Also in the same vein, Jawbreaker. I hitchhiked to see Jawbreaker in Ohio once, something I would never do for a band today.

As for best band though. Perhaps being reared in punk, I'm biased but to me politically, musically, lyrically, hands down, no questions asked, the most important band of the decade, especially the first half, was Fugazi. They wore their morals on their sleeves, and didn't compromise their music or the culture of music one iota. Their shows were a huge event, not to be missed, and they continued to push boundaries musically with each passing album. Also, and though they may have been better in the 80's, Public Enemy was still a major force in music in the early to mid-90's.

I mean, they had to exist in some way during the 90s and have not sucked for the greater duration of the decade. Really there's not a lot of criteria besides who was the best. Your opinion, I suppose, but I mean, given the certain set of musical tastes here, it's going to revolve around a few groups. I would usually recognize that they needed a good deal of critical acclaim, but there are dudes who slip under even their keen/blind eyes (depending on your view).

I'm surprised and disappointed that there haven't been any fisticuffs thrown over this thread, though. :hmm

you're not going to find a band in history that had a more astounding run than guided by voices in the 1990s

1990 Same Place the Fly Got Smashed

1992 Propeller

1993 Vampire on Titus

1994 Bee Thousand

1995 Alien Lanes

1996 Under the Bushes Under the Stars

1996 Tonics & Twisted Chasers

1997 Mag Earwhig!

1999 Do the Collapse

not to mention the EPs:

1993 The Grand Hour

1993 Static Airplane Jive

1994 Get out of my Stations

1994 Fast Japanese Spin Cycle

1994 Clown Prince of the Menthol Trailer

1995 I Am a Scientist

1995 Tigerbomb

1996 Sunfish Holy Breakfast

1996 Plantations of Pale Pink

1997 Wish in one Hand

1999 Plugs for the Program

Were Nirvana really all that big of a deal before Cobain died? I'm not denying that they were, it's just that I didn't hear of them until after the fact. I'm sincerely curious about this. Granted, I was in junior high and listening almost exclusively to rap/hippity-hop in the early nineties so there were a lot of musical things going on that I didn't notice. It may just be that I wasn't hanging out with "Nirvana fan type people" until after 1994.

Smashing Pumpkins? No?

The Pumpkins were my band in the 90's. Gish > Siamese Dream > Mellon Collie. Let's forget that Adore was made and that's a pretty strong output.

siamese dream is definitely one of my top five favorite albums of the 90s.