(The Album) of the year

Well after another spin of (The Album) on my way to work this AM, I think I made it official that this is my favorite record this year (so far). It is my least favorite Wilco record, so I guess this says something about how much I like Wilco or how little I was blown away by anything else this year. Bottom line, I have recieved more enjoyment and listened to this album more than any other record this year. This by the way will be the first Wilco album that was my personal favorite of the year since YHF. I & W Endless Numbered Days beat out the boys in 2004 and Avett Brothers Emotionalism beat out SBS for me in 07. Anyway, thanks for caring about my little opinion.

Guest Speed Racer

I think W(TA) might be the only new release of the year I've heard, and I still wouldn't rank it 1st for me.

No, I've heard Girls. But neither would be my number 1.

I have listened to 22 new records this year (actually 21 1/2, I couldn't get through Beware by BPB). When it comes to music, I like most of you, can have an emotional reaction and can also listen from a music appreciation/critical standpoint. When it comes to my favorite of the year, I go with the one that truly killed me and not just the one that I know intellectually is better. (Does that make sense). Anyway, there is still a chance I will give the nod to I & W Aroung the Well, but since that is not truly a record of new music I might just go with Wilco. However, I have high hopes for The David Rawlings Machince and Devendra Banhart. This is all of course due to the Avetts not taking the top spot like I assumed they would. Oh Well. None of this matters anyway. :ermm

I think I'll have to go out and get the Califone album if everyone here is giving it high praise.

But my top albums are, in no particular order, Girls, St. Vincent, The Decemberists, Phoenix, Dirty Projectors, and the Dark Was the Night Comp.

I wouldn't put W(TA) in there. It's solid, but I was expecting something bigger and better.

I'm glad some like W(TA) so much. I wish I did. Some of it is really great, but overall it doesn't do much for me.

Of the embarrassingly limited number of discs I've heard this year, W(TA) would rank near or at the bottom.

Morrissey, Phoenix, Decemberists, Eels, Neko Case, Vic Chesnutt, Mountain Goats, Mark Olson/Gary Louris, Dinosaur Jr, Flaming Lips, Built to Spill...I prefer all these to Wilco's newest.

Guest Speed Racer

Of the embarrassingly limited number of discs I've heard this year, W(TA) would rank near or at the bottom.

Morrissey, Phoenix, Decemberists, Eels, Neko Case, Vic Chesnutt, Mountain Goats, Mark Olson/Gary Louris, Dinosaur Jr, Flaming Lips, Built to Spill...I prefer all these to Wilco's newest.

Yo, your list is greater than 2. You've got me beat by, like, a lot.

I like WTA a lot, but it's not near my top 5 this year.

SFA, Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse, Jarvis Cocker, Manic Street Preachers, Dylan (TTL, not CITH) all have it beat by a fair amount. And if Gruff Rhys releases the Seperado soundtrack this year, that'll hit the top 5 too, for sure.

There are several 2009 albums I'd still like to hear, and could very well knock Wilco even further.

I'm very old, and decidedly unhip, so it's a rare year when I can name a release that didn't come from one of my favorites. But I kept having the new Animal Collective album thrust at me, so I had to check it out. I agree that "Merriweather Post Pavilion" is a much better album than W(TA).

It might make my top ten. It's a cute, pleasant album, but I heard plenty of music I like more this year.

I'd have to take a look at everything I own before doing an official list. Off hand though, I'd say my number one spot goes to Magnolia Electric Company this year. There's lots of other good stuff (including the every popular Califone album) that I'd put above Wilco (the album).

Wilco (the album) is a top 10, but not top 5.

my list:

1. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

2. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

3. Girls - Album

4. The Flaming Lips - Embryonic

5. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

6. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

7. Passion Pit - Manners

8. Wilco (the album)

9. Dinosaur Jr. - Farm

10. Antony & the Johnsons - The Crying Light

basically.

This is tough, top 5 in no order:

1. Wilco (the album)

2. Jason Isbell - Seven Mile Island

3. Farm - Dinosaur Jr.

4. The Cribs - Ignore the ignorant

5. Son Volt - American Central Dust

I don't know, these are off the top of my head. I have not heard the new Califone (but will very soon).