Now Reading in the New New Year

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

616wQ%2BtJbCL._SS500_.jpg

I've got to promote a guy who went to my high school. This is his 3rd novel (following What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and An Ocean in Iowa - both excellent). He also directed Pieces of April and Dan in Real Life. I'm about 1/2 way through and it is very good. Thematically he's a lot like Tom Perrotta and this story seems to have elements of Election and Little Children.

I just finished the last of Y: The Last Man

51d5%2Bof4PUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Really enjoyed this one. Highly recommended for subtle humor, hint of sci-fi/supernatural, ninjas, astronauts, pirates and lesbians. The ending may leave you wanting, but you are meant enjoy the journey.

I'm on a bit of a roll with this subject matter:

9780815603986.jpg

616wQ%2BtJbCL._SS500_.jpg

I like the sound of both of these. Will add them to the list.

This one, I may recommend to my dad. :lol

51d5%2Bof4PUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Highly recommended for subtle humor, hint of sci-fi/supernatural, ninjas, astronauts, pirates and lesbians.

Still fighting my way through Ulysses. Also just read (and yes, this kind of crap is exactly why I haven't finished Ulysses yet!):

38055402.JPG

And just picked these up from the library yesterday:

33653672.jpg

8942114.jpg

Recently finished: John Adams by David McCullough. A great book. McCullough really ties the people and events together into a spellbinding read.

Now reading: Treasure Island by Bob L. Stevenson. Was looking for an easy to read adventure. Only problem is that, in my mind all the characters look like the Muppets.

Currently not reading again; Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner. This book has been sitting on my shelf for a number of years, but I can't get passed the first page; maybe the first paragraph. I've never read any Faulkner; anybody have any insight? Is it worth the effort?

And where do all of you find the URL's for the book covers? I pull up a book in Amazon, for example, but I can't get that URL to link here. Says it's not supported, or something like that. I saw the post earlier about how to attache the link here, but I can't figure out where to get the URL's themselves...

John Adams.JPG

Treasure Island.JPG

Just finished:

n296145.jpg

Pretty good read. Nothing earth shattering.

Just picked up:

ryan.jpg

I'm a huge fan but am wary. Has anyone read it? It is a novel or just a collection of random thoughts/poems?

0306815206.jpg

And just got turned on to Nick Drake. Caught "A Skin Too Few" on my DVR and just was wowed! Don't understand how in 32 years I haven't known about this guy's work. Fantastic and right up my alley! The read is a little to UK with all the slang but helping to give some insight on the very short life of the man.

Just finished:

51cL0409W-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I really enjoyed this one. It did not go where I expected to go. I thought it would be real easy to poke fun and some of the bibles ... shall we say ... shortcomings as a piece of literature/folklore/etc. But instead, Goldstein re-wrote several stories into a darn entertaining and, dare I say it, poignant manner. Sure, there was subtle, dry humor throughout. But he treated the source work with reverence, as well. Highly recommended. The Samson & Delilah story alone is worth it.

Just started:

51PrGQKQaYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I recently finished IJ, and couldn't wait for another DFW. Kinda sad that there are to be no more...

Riis-Asbury72.jpg

Pretty interesting reading, but not at all like the Scorsese movie. It's more a series of anecdotes and character descriptions, but no real plot per se. I also understand that Asbury somewhat exaggerates a lot of the stories.

I bought it for a History of NY class in college - I really liked it but there was no narrative at all. I think it was like you said it was more of a collection of stories mixed with some history. Good read though I though.

I think Anna Karenina will be next for me too. I have to finish Don Quixote first and I'm a slow reader, so I probably won't finish both until the the middle of summer.

I noticed this weekend while reviewing a journal I keep that for the past 3 years during Spring I've tackled one large novel (7-800 pages).

Large novels being complimentary to sunny cool evenings outside on the porch along with refreshing beverages.:beer

My plans for the year included Ulysses, Anna Karenina, and Infinite Jest. Unfortunately, I've come to a dead stop on Ulysses. So, I'll move on (will return to Ulysses another time) and bring Anna Karenina on the plane for some upcoming long flights.

I noticed this weekend while reviewing a journal I keep that for the past 3 years during Spring I've tackled one large novel (7-800 pages).

Large novels being complimentary to sunny cool evenings outside on the porch along with refreshing beverages.drinkingbeer.gif

yes.gif

My plans for the year included Ulysses, Anna Karenina, and Infinite Jest. Unfortunately, I've come to a dead stop on Ulysses. So, I'll move on (will return to Ulysses another time) and bring Anna Karenina on the plane for some upcoming long flights.

I highly recommend IJ. I just finished and feel like reading it again already.