Now Reading in the New New Year

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been rreading a lot of poetry lately: Poe, Bukowski, Nye, Rumi.

Re-visiting two books:

Founding Brothers, Joseph Ellis. In-depth take on Revolutionary kingpins Washington, Hamilton/Burr, Franklin, Burr, Adams, and Madison. Colorful writing and very well-researched.

and

A New Earth, Ekhardt Tolle. This book gets panned often in book threads for being New Age blow-it-up-your ass stuff, yet I've always found it to be a decent read with some neat parables and lessons and things to, at least, consider. It's not ground-breaking in a philosophical or psychological manner but it puts a new perspective on an old concept. I've gone back to it several times and lways take something new to consider from it.

I was hoping to get in on an Infinite Jest reading group like they did last year at the infinite summer site. Looks like they just did 2666 as well. Anyways, some cool stuff at this site but probably some spoilers. Maybe we should have our own Infinite Jest reading.

Infinite Summer

I hardly ever read, but just recently caught the book bug and I've compiled a short list of books that sounded interesting.

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

What is What - The Autobiography of Valentino Achak Deng - Dave Eggers

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bang the Drum Slowly - Mark Harris

The Labyrinth of Solitude - Octavio Paz

In Watermelon Sugar - Richard Brautigan

Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett

Babbitt - Sinclair Lewis

The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood

i'm looking for some good book recommendations.

i love vonnegut, tom robbins and christopher moore.

lately i've read cannery row-steinbeck, high fidelity-hornby and survivor-chuck p.

i'm looking for books about people trying to find themselves, or something of the sort, but am open to any that would fit with the group i mentioned

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

How about favourite self-help books:

Full Catastrophe Living

I'm going to lead a mindfulness-based stress reduction group for students this fall. If professional athletes can get a competitive edge with MBSR, perhaps it will have a similar effect on academic performance.

How about favourite self-help books:

Full Catastrophe Living

I'm going to lead a mindfulness-based stress reduction group for students this fall. If professional athletes can get a competitive edge with MBSR, perhaps it will have a similar effect on academic performance.

That book looks pretty amazing, Judy!

images.jpg

Excellent toilet reading. Yeah, it's a bit lurid and voyeuristic, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good read. I like her writing style, too: very self-effacing and wry; perfect for somebody with her background. I am enjoying this more than I probably should.

I hardly ever read, but just recently caught the book bug and I've compiled a short list of books that sounded interesting.

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

I just finished that, and I loved it. It was not at all like I expected it to be, and a very entertaining read!

Now Reading:

in%20the%20skin%20of%20a%20lion.jpg