Now Reading in the New New Year

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ditto you again!

I've been contemplating re-reading some Russo books, specifically Nobody's Fool and the hilarious Straight Man.

I haven't gotten to Nobody's Fool yet. It's on my reading list. :)

Nobody's Fool is my favorite Russo novel. Sully may be Russo's most well-developed and memorable character.

Great! I only have about 500 pages of Infinite Jest left to get through, give or take a 20-pg. footnote or two, and then I'll get a copy of Nobody's Fool!*

* I don't mean to make Infinite Jest sound like a struggle, because it's magnificent, but it is very very long!

Me too. I made a friend read it and he couldn't get into it. I couldn't even fathom that.

I can relate to your friend though - took me two failed attempts before finally getting hooked and devouring it.

Now re-re-reading: The World According To Garp - I always sorta thought I'd pick this up again when I became a dad, and that's how it's worked out.

• 2 weeks later...

784a820dd7a0478d81e8f010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got it for $0.50 at a garage sale.

I have a first edition of that book. There was probably only one paperback edition, so I bet it is the same one I have. The copy I have was given to me by a teacher in high school, who is now a friend of mine on Facebook. He use to call me "Moon". It's pretty much junk, but there is some funny stuff in there.

I have a first edition of that book. There was probably only one paperback edition, so I bet it is the same one I have. The copy I have was given to me by a teacher in high school, who is now a friend of mine on Facebook. He use to call me "Moon". It's pretty much junk, but there is some funny stuff in there.

Yeah, i'm about half way through and it is pretty much junk but entertaining. Kind of like "then we got drunk and took a bunch of various medicines, shagged some birds, got in the car and wrecked, the police let us go so we started drinking brandy...." over and over.

I do get a kick out of the writing though, it's very, very British.

Yeah, i'm about half way through and it is pretty much junk but entertaining. Kind of like "then we got drunk and took a bunch of various medicines, shagged some birds, got in the car and wrecked, the police let us go so we started drinking brandy...." over and over.

I do get a kick out of the writing though, it's very, very British.

I have seen Mr. Butler interviewed in various Moon/Who documentaries.

784a820dd7a0478d81e8f010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got it for $0.50 at a garage sale.

I got that from my university library in the '90s. Fun read. That cover is hilarious. I'd never seen it before, sicne the library has plain covers on a lot of the books.

Now reading:

beefheart-through-the-eyes-of-magic-14499365.jpeg

This thing is THOROUGH!

Just "finished" The Passage by Justin Cronin on audio-book. Very well read and captivating while commuting. 36 hours long. Around hour 35 I started to feel like there was no way he could satisfactorily wrap up the saga -- googled the title and it turns out it's a trilogy. I'll have to wait, until 2012 for part II and 2014 for the final book, but I'll be waiting. Good stuff.

and have begun eii1.jpg

i saw this book's adaptation as a movie before i knew about the book. loved the movie...really endearing. i read the book. not near as endearing. there are endearing bits, don't get me wrong, but i just don't like/don't get all the sexual magical realism stuff...i mean, edit that out, and you have a really good story.

in fact, i was so disappointed in the book that after i was done with it, i threw it straight into the trash can.

sue me.

i saw this book's adaptation as a movie before i knew about the book. loved the movie...really endearing. i read the book. not near as endearing. there are endearing bits, don't get me wrong, but i just don't like/don't get all the sexual magical realism stuff...i mean, edit that out, and you have a really good story.

in fact, i was so disappointed in the book that after i was done with it, i threw it straight into the trash can.

sue me.

funny you say that... i read it, then rented the movie, which i turned off after 30 minutes. read his follow up which is also very good- i think you'll like that one. it lacks the really eloquent prose that i loved about his first, but maintains that quirky postmodern style that foer is trying to reinvent. check it out!

funny you say that... i read it, then rented the movie, which i turned off after 30 minutes. read his follow up which is also very good- i think you'll like that one. it lacks the really eloquent prose that i loved about his first, but maintains that quirky postmodern style that foer is trying to reinvent. check it out!

yeah, i wondered to myself if things would have been different had i read first and watched later...i may check out his follow up because there was quite a bit about his writing that i enjoyed.

in the meantime, i'm starting

sheffield.jpg

I once borrowed Owen Meany from a friend for approximately five years, and never read it. She told me it was one of her favorite books ever, but the plot just doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I gather, from all the love it's getting around here, that it would be worth a try anyway.

yeah, i wondered to myself if things would have been different had i read first and watched later...i may check out his follow up because there was quite a bit about his writing that i enjoyed.

in the meantime, i'm starting

sheffield.jpg

Oh I forgot about this one! I love Sheffields writing, have to pick this up.

• 3 weeks later...

Been taking in chunks of Chuck Klosterman's Eating The Dinosaur in between unpacking boxes and quieting a crying baby. It's surprisingly good. I'd accepted Klosterman's writing/thought process as an ongoing disappoint: interesting but not deep, entertaining but too cute at times, and overall not essential. He's surprised me here though - this is sober, thought-provoking stuff, and his usual over-the-top pop culture references have been sheered away to the point that they show up only when necessary, and he seems a lot less driven by an aim to impress his target audience. Which is fitting, since the theme of the book is people being true to themselves (i.e., Rivers Cuomo, David Koresh and the Unabomber).