FYI, MLB Network is airing their 2nd Spring Training game right now.

Yesterday it was the Mets vs. the Braves and today it's the Yankees vs. the Pirates.

I came here to ponder this question regarding the Yankees: Do you think A.J. or C.C. will get an injury this year due to being in a 3 man rotation for the duration of the playoffs? As a Red Sox fan and baseball fan first and foremost, I tip my hat to them in their World Series win. They got lucky with no injuries. The repercussions of that I think will be felt this season. These 2 guys are always prone to elbow and/or shoulder injuries in the past.

Obviously, I know that Nostradamus doesn't post here, but...

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pitchers get what the market bears, and probably a little less, as I find it hard to believe collusion has been wiped out, especially with an ex-owner as a commissioner.

FYI, MLB Network is airing their 2nd Spring Training game right now.

Yesterday it was the Mets vs. the Braves and today it's the Yankees vs. the Pirates.

I came here to ponder this question regarding the Yankees: Do you think A.J. or C.C. will get an injury this year due to being in a 3 man rotation for the duration of the playoffs? As a Red Sox fan and baseball fan first and foremost, I tip my hat to them in their World Series win. They got lucky with no injuries. The repercussions of that I think will be felt this season. These 2 guys are always prone to elbow and/or shoulder injuries in the past.

Obviously, I know that Nostradamus doesn't post here, but...

I think you would have to calculate how many extra starts Sabathia, Burnett and Pettitte made as a result of the three-man rotation and then make a guess from there. Two apiece, maybe, if even that?

Pitchers get what the market bears, and probably a little less, as I find it hard to believe collusion has been wiped out, especially with an ex-owner as a commissioner.

True about the market, but how many long term contracts for established pitchers actually work out across the full term? CC, Santana, et al, will be black holes to team payrolls on their last 2, 3 years. I'd rather see the Giants give Tim Lincecum a fat 7 year contract now rather than 4 years from now when he hits free agency.

Side note: The Dodgers inked Garrett Anderson to a minor league contract to be a pinch hitter/5th outfielder. At age 37, Anderson has 2501 hits. His shot at 3000 hits may be gone.

HAHA! Barry Zito of the Giants hits Prince Fielder in the back with his first pitch to him in the first inning in retaliation from '09 season when Fielder hit a walk-off homer off the Giants and did that "Bowling Pin" homeplate celebration.

Quite sensitive those Giants. Message to Boche and club-GET OVER IT.

but this why i love this game.

HAHA! Barry Zito of the Giants hits Prince Fielder in the back with his first pitch to him in the first inning in retaliation from '09 season when Fielder hit a walk-off homer off the Giants and did that "Bowling Pin" homeplate celebration.

If he'd have hit Fielder in the ass, finding the ball would be like searching for an Easter egg in the Painted Desert.

"My fastball was running in and it just got away from me," Zito said. "It's not like we've thought about (the celebration) for months and months."

:D

True about the market, but how many long term contracts for established pitchers actually work out across the full term? CC, Santana, et al, will be black holes to team payrolls on their last 2, 3 years. I'd rather see the Giants give Tim Lincecum a fat 7 year contract now rather than 4 years from now when he hits free agency.

Not many, it seems, but it doesn't matter - if you have to cough up that kind of deal to sign a top pitcher, then that's the kind of deal you have to cough up.

Eh. If you are going to show up a pitcher in such a spectacular manner, you really should expect to get drilled when you face that pitcher again. I really don't want to see baseball take on the level of jackassery one sees in football when a player makes a great (or even routine) play.

Guest Runaway Jim

After the Dodgers swept the Cubs in '08, I lost all interest in baseball.

What was it about losing in 2008 that made you lose interest after the previous 100 years of losing?

I just LOLed.

I did too. But it was the way they just bent over and took it from Manny Ramirez and company.

I've actually found myself getting really excited about baseball again in the last couple of weeks. I rescind my earlier comment. Go Cubbies!

Thoughts?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/03/09/floating-realignment/index.html

When baseball commissioner Bud Selig named a 14-person "special committee for on-field matters" four months ago, he promised that all topics would be in play and "there are no sacred cows." The committee already has made good on Selig's promise by discussing a radical form of "floating" realignment in which teams would not be fixed to a division, but free to change divisions from year-to-year based on geography, payroll and their plans to contend or not.

The concept gained strong support among committee members, many of whom believe there are non-economic avenues that should be explored to improve competitive balance, similar to the NFL's former use of scheduling to help parity (in which weaker teams were awarded a weaker schedule the next season).

As with most issues of competitive balance, floating realignment involves finding a work-around to the Boston-New York axis of power in the AL East. In the 15 seasons during which the wild-card system has been in use, the Red Sox and Yankees have accounted for 38 percent of all AL postseason berths. The league has never conducted playoffs without the Red Sox or Yankees since that format began -- and in eight of those 15 years both teams made the playoffs. Since 2003 the Sox and Yankees have won at least 95 games 11 times in 14 combined seasons.

One example of floating realignment, according to one insider, would work this way: Cleveland, which is rebuilding with a reduced payroll, could opt to leave the AL Central to play in the AL East. The Indians would benefit from an unbalanced schedule that would give them a total of 18 lucrative home dates against the Yankees and Red Sox instead of their current eight. A small or mid-market contender, such as Tampa Bay or Baltimore, could move to the AL Central to get a better crack at postseason play instead of continually fighting against the mega-payrolls of New York and Boston.

Divisions still would loosely follow geographic lines; no team would join a division more than two time zones outside its own, largely to protect local television rights (i.e., start times of games) and travel costs.

Floating realignment also could mean changing the number of teams in a division, teams changing leagues and interleague games throughout the season, according to several sources familiar with the committee's discussions. It is important to remember that the committee's talks are very preliminary and non-binding.

"But if there is something that comes up we feel should be addressed during the season, we can make a recommendation then," said committee co-chair and Braves president John Schuerholz, referring to less complicated issues such as pace-of-game directives. "This is all about any ideas that help make the game better."

The floating realignment idea is nothing more than a concept at this point, part of the brainstorming sessions that have occurred in the committee's one in-person meeting and occasional conference calls. (Selig is pushing for another in-person meeting, such as at the All-Star Game. The committee includes current managers and executives, making in-person meetings logistically difficult.) The mechanics of the system are far from nailed down. But what is important is that the committee is making good on its mission to look at absolutely any on-field idea that could make the game better. Blowing up fixed divisions as we know them -- and even leagues -- certainly qualifies as radical thinking.

I just can't wrap my head around this.

I don't like it one bit. Blowing up fixed divisions could better be achieved by instating a salary cap.

Salary or payroll? Why should baseball have a salary cap? Just like to hear people's reasoning....

I don't like the concept of a floating alignment, either. What a mess.

Guest Runaway Jim

Salary or payroll? Why should baseball have a salary cap? Just like to hear people's reasoning....

I don't like the concept of a floating alignment, either. What a mess.

Um, I don't know. I might be using the term salary cap generically. What's the difference between a salary cap and a payroll cap?

I'm just saying that if they limited teams (like the Yanks/BoSox) from spending far more than other teams, that would help even the playing field.

It appears I misunderstood the term "fixed divisions" initially. I thought they were saying a fixed division was one in which one or two teams always dominates (AL East).

Never mind me, I'm just a confused fuck.

Problem Solved:

take a look....

The Yankees and The Red Sox don't play until October.

They face the number one team each from the AL Central, AL East, & AL West.

These are the new playoffs.

For Example:

Yankees play Tigers

Red Sox play Angels

It follows that same crazy logic as the World Baseball Classic where you lose and come back for one more round.