Arcade Fire...

So... apparently after the Grammy win they flew over to the UK and took home Best International Group and Best International ALbum at the British Awards (BAFTA).

Nice.

it's not that nice. the brits are about as much a piss-take of what's good in current music as the grammy awards are.

it's not the bafta awards, by the way, that's for film. it's "the brits"

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love "Funeral" very much and "The Suburbs" too, I play those discs often ... "Neon Bible" has never clicked with me as a whole though I've spun it a dozen times through.trying to like it. "No Cars Go" and "Keep the Car Running" just aren't inspiring to me. I do love "Antichrist Television Blues" though ...

All the songs are at least a minute too long, and there are too many songs. A few of the songs feel like exact replicas of other songs on the album. If they had cut three songs, and made all the songs shorter, this may have been a fantastic album.

I do agree that some of this is true about "The Suburbs", though

I mostly agree with the Stereogum article. I really like the album, but other than "Sprawl II" and "We Used To Wait", it drops off significantly for me after "Suburban War" (my favorite song on the record). I'm sure it was most deserving of Best Album compared to the other contenders in the category, but there were for sure better albums released this year, "High Violet" for one. However, they don't get the viewers to watch the show if they truly nominate the best music. Bottom line, I'm glad AF won the award and I can't wait to see them with The National in April. It will be my third time seeing The National, but my first time with AF. :dancing

it's not that nice. the brits are about as much a piss-take of what's good in current music as the grammy awards are.

it's not the bafta awards, by the way, that's for film. it's "the brits"

Corn flakes in urine... Yum!

Of course the brit awards are the same thing. It's still nice that they beat pretty much the same group of hack artists for the award.

The funny thing about me mistakenly calling them the BAFTA awards is that a brit expat told me they're called that. I gotta go give her hell for it. :cheers

Heres an inteview with the sound enginbeer for The Suburbs Mark Lawson for those that are intersted inthis sort of stuff

Are they doing some of the creative work and songwriting in the studio, or are they coming in completely prepared?

No, they're always still working on stuff in the studio. To the last vocal take, they’re still developing it.

You did most of the recording on The Suburbs. Didn’t you guys track in multiple locations?

The credits on the album list off a few different places: “Random basements, people's houses, a studio in New York, as well as a studio in Montreal called Frisson.” I believe there were four regular studios, and then all kinds of basements and random places.

The albums definitely have a lot of warmth to them, more of a vintage sound. Do you record on tape?

Every single song started its life on tape. We would fill the tape and then transfer to digital. Every mix, once finalized was mastered to a 12-inch lacquer and then re-digitized from there. So what you're hearing in the end is each song being played from a turntable.

I think the Arcade Fires music has a really narrow emotional range which is often a good thing for an album.I hear angst apathy nostalga and petulance, all emotions which would have really done it for me back in my more inward looking teenage years (I had Pearl Jam and Nirvana on high rotate)Not saying I don't like it though, they are good at what they do.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to necro a thread. Even more ridiculous how long it took me to find it.

But, I just wanted to say I repent! I repent. And it feels good. What I said about Matt Berninger and the National was probably one of the douchiest things I have ever said on here. 

Happy to say that I've come 180 on them. I think it's because I finally sat down and really listened to High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me. But what put me over the top was this show from just a couple of months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3q57hKoOR4

Absolutely fantastic set list. I have been humming England all day.

[edit] Argh - tried to multiquote - doesn't work. I give up.

• 4 years later...

I've kind of lost interest in Arcade Fire but last night they played Funeral all the way through to start the show. 

I still think that's a great album.

https://www.stereogum.com/2015509/arcade-fire-played-funeral-in-full-last-night/video/

I'm a little bit jealous. That would've been fun to see. Apparently they're doing it the next couple nights in Berkeley as well...