Arcade Fire...

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone still listening to the "Suburbs"? I don't have time to make a list of most over-rated albums of all-time but this would definitely be up there. Dull, boring and far too long. I was so excited for its release up to the point I heard a few clips. Spending time with the record when it came out left me with nothing but ennui. I don't understand why such a musically talented band (and one of the best live bands of the last twenty years) reduced their musical palette so much for this release.

This article from Stereogum is spot-on in my not-so-humble opinion:

http://stereogum.com/624351/double-take-arcade-fire-the-suburbs/top-stories/lead-story/

Rosie O'Donnell has more to say.

Every time she opens her mouth, it's a stream of feces that spews forth. I'm not surprised she's never heard of them and that makes me happy for the band. She's up there with Ann Coulter in my book: she needs a muzzle.

What a coup for the band though. It was good to see the Grammys get something right for a change.

That said, I feel like this was a make-up Oscar for the last two albums, much in the same vein as giving AGIB a Grammy after snubbing YHF.

Is anyone still listening to the "Suburbs"? I don't have time to make a list of most over-rated albums of all-time but this would definitely be up there. Dull, boring and far too long. I was so excited for its release up to the point I heard a few clips. Spending time with the record when it came out left me with nothing but ennui. I don't understand why such a musically talented band (and one of the best live bands of the last twenty years) reduced their musical palette so much for this release.

http://stereogum.com/624351/double-take-arcade-fire-the-suburbs/top-stories/lead-story/

People are desparate and loooking for musical heros, and their skipping the requirement of the album being mindblowing before they worship at the altar. That's the problem. I found the Suburbs to be horribly preachy and boring at the same time. Not a good combo.

I very much agree, i never liked the suburbs that much. Its a decent album, but not on par with Funeral or Neon Bible. I was definitely happy they beat out Gaga, Eminem, Perry, Lady Antebellum for the win, but i still felt like it wasn't "Album of the year". There were lots of albums that got snubbed from even getting best rock or best alternative that were far superior to The suburbs IMO, such as The National's High Violet. And while the National isn't quite on the same level as Arcade Fire in terms of popularity or mainstream-ness, I am hoping this Grammy win will mean that the voters will start looking more into the creative output of an artist rather than their sales and marketability, hopefully this way we can avoid the "Courtesy grammy" that was bestowed upon Arcade Fire AND Wilco IMO for Ghost is born

I very much agree, i never liked the suburbs that much. ........., I am hoping this Grammy win will mean that the voters will start looking more into the creative output of an artist rather than their sales and marketability, hopefully this way we can avoid the "Courtesy grammy" that was bestowed upon Arcade Fire AND Wilco IMO for Ghost is born

Agree completely.

Is anyone still listening to the "Suburbs"? I don't have time to make a list of most over-rated albums of all-time but this would definitely be up there. Dull, boring and far too long.

I sort of feel the same way. I listened to this this morning in the car. All the songs are at least a minute too long, and there are too many songs. A few of the songs feel like exact replicas of other songs on the album. If they had cut three songs, and made all the songs shorter, this may have been a fantastic album.

I very much agree, i never liked the suburbs that much. Its a decent album, but not on par with Funeral or Neon Bible.

The Suburbs BLOWS away Neon Bible for me... like not even close.

and yes, The National make better albums than Arcade Fire, but their live show isn't nearly as close and Matt's vocals have a more limited appeal

Those of us that have the mostly amazing Palladia HD channel can get ready for some live Arcade Fire on Friday night.

Arcade Fire Live From Galicia, Spain

Friday February 18th at 9p.m. EST

Songs include Keep The Car Running, Wake Up, & Ready To Start.

Ok. I guess that this was on MTV Europe this past September. You can easily find the 9 tracks on youtube or watch it on Friday night.

The Suburbs BLOWS away Neon Bible for me... like not even close.

I would beg to differ. Of course, recognising that all opinion is subjective and personal. In addition to the overall quality, Arcade Fire haven't come close to doing something as good as "No Cars Go" and "Keep The Car Running" on the "The Suburbs". "Ready to Start" might, just might be mentioned in the same breadth. When I saw them in October, I couldn't escape the sinking feeling that all the highlights were the earlier tracks. They are still incredible live but compared to when I saw them in 2005 and 2007 they only real progress was in the stage design and lights.

I would beg to differ. Of course, recognising that all opinion is subjective and personal. In addition to the overall quality, Arcade Fire haven't come close to doing something as good as "No Cars Go" and "Keep The Car Running" on the "The Suburbs". "Ready to Start" might, just might be mentioned in the same breadth. When I saw them in October, I couldn't escape the sinking feeling that all the highlights were the earlier tracks. They are still incredible live but compared to when I saw them in 2005 and 2007 they only real progress was in the stage design and lights.

No Cars Go originally was released in 2003 on their EP, so that's kind of unfair imo. but i'd agree that song is one of their top 3 songs.

The Suburubs doesn't have the highs of Funeral, but it's more consistent for me.

i was really really let down by Neon Bible myself. i finally came around to it after seeing them about a dozen times on that tour stunned.gif

The problem with Neon Bible is that the best tracks on it are not part of the concept. You can shoehorn them in, but one of them is an older song, reworked, and the other is so much more upbeat in tempo that it doesnt mesh well.

Because it is so often panned and because I gave up on it so early, I tend to think it is very underrated. It's a good collection of songs, if not a good album.

The problem with Neon Bible is that the best tracks on it are not part of the concept. You can shoehorn them in, but one of them is an older song, reworked, and the other is so much more upbeat in tempo that it doesnt mesh well.

Because it is so often panned and because I gave up on it so early, I tend to think it is very underrated. It's a good collection of songs, if not a good album.

very well put cheers.gif