Arcade Fire...

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since my suburban experience did not involve palm trees, I think I'm going with one of the others. The first one in the top row looks suspiciously like my old neighborhood growing up so maybe I will look for that one.

Even if the word rococo is never used as a refrain again it will still be too soon.

On the whole, after several listens I have found The Suburbs underwhelming. It started out so promising, but towards the middle, it begins to just sort of meander along somewhat tunelessly. There's an EP's worth of strong to great material here, but I can think of six to eight tracks that, if trimmed, would have made for a stronger album.

The show in Philadelphia last night was AMAZING--the entire crowd singing "Wake Up" at the top of their lungs to close the show was one of my most memorable concert experiences ever. It was a peaceful, friendly crowd, and the sound and view were excellent, even though I was in the second orchestra section.

Spoon went on right at 7:30 and played for an hour. They opened with Black Like Me, which is one of my favorite songs off the last album, so that drew me in right away. The crowd was very sparse at the start of their set, but it filled up quite a bit as they played. One of the drummers from the White Rabbits played with them on some songs, and they also had a small brass section for a few songs, which was cool. They seemed a little loud (louder than the Arcade Fire, which was weird) at times, but I really enjoyed their set.

All through Spoon's set, I knew the white backdrop wasn't going to stay. By the time I got back to my seat, the crew had already taken it down to reveal what looked like a drive-in movie screen with an overpass around it. They went on at 9, just as it got dark, and played until 10:45. It was a little disorienting that they opened with a new song, and even Neighborhood #2 didn't grab me right away. Near the end of that song, a bunch of kids spilled out into the aisle around me, dancing and singing along, and something clicked for me. Haiti was especially spirited, with everybody dancing in the aisle. I was sorry to see security chase them back to their seats, because they brought a lot more energy to our section than the middle-aged yuppie couple in front of me did.

The Jay Reatard cover was haunting and powerful, but "Neighborhood #3-->Rebellion-->Month of May was probably my favorite part of the show, aside from Haiti and Wake Up. Throughout the show, the movie screen alternated between oddball black and white movie clips, grainy home movie-type footage of teenagers in suburbs, and shots of the performance, sometimes superimposed over the clips. For the encore, both the screen and the overpass backdrop showed the sky at twilight with snow falling, which was really lovely. The show seemed a little short to me, and a little light on material from Neon Bible, but they played every song I was hoping to hear, so I can't complain.

Win waded out into the crowd three or four times, walking across the partition that separated the pit from the main orchestra sections. He had to be 20 rows back at least once, dragging the extension cord behind him. At one point, a drunk guy in the front shoved a bottle of Bud Light at him. He took it and had a sip, then dumped the rest of it out in front of the stage. After he did, he peered down, then disappeared off to the side of the stage, reappearing a few moments later with a big towel. He hopped off the stage and cleaned up all the beer he'd spilled because he didn't want the security guys to slip. One of the drummers one-upped him during Rebellion by running with a snare drum all the way back to the lawn seats, then looping back around and barely making it back to the stage in time for the next song.

I got the new album last night but didn't listen to it on the drive back. I was tired and wanted something familiar to help keep me alert. My first impression of the new songs from hearing them live is definitely mixed, though. Some of them I liked quite a bit, but others lacked the spark I appreciate about their music. I can't help but wonder if some of these songs will really get lost in a space as big as Madison Square Garden. I'll tune in to the webcast Thursday night to find out.

All in all, a really memorable show. I'll definitely see them again.

Here's the setlist:

1. Ready to Start

2. Neighborhood #2 (Laïka)

3. No Cars Go

4. Haiti

5. Rococo

6. Oh It’s Such A Shame (Jay Reatard cover)

7. Deep Blue

8. The Suburbs/The Suburbs (Continued)

9. Intervention

10. We Used to Wait

11. Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)

12. Rebellion (Lies)

13. Month of May

14. Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)

15. Keep the Car Running

16. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)

17. Modern Man

18. Wake Up

Of all the songs I have heard so far, I like "Ready to Start" the best.

I guess it's the new cool to hate this album or be "unimpressed" by it.

I think it's missing some of the majesty of Funeral in key places (especially the middle tracks), but it's still easily the best thing I've heard all year long. I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would. Especially after folks on this board beat the snot out of the title track, which I really love.

And what's with the turf war with the National fans? First of all, it's silly, and secondly, that band will never be more than a depressing lounge act as long as Matt Berninger is outfront. His vocals = funeral dirge. It's okay to be upbeat, and it doesn't take away from the gravity of the songs. They could learn a thing or two from AF...

I think it's missing some of the majesty of Funeral in key places (especially the middle tracks), but it's still easily the best thing I've heard all year long. I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would. Especially after folks on this board beat the snot out of the title track, which I really love.

And what's with the turf war with the National fans? First of all, it's silly, and secondly, that band will never be more than a depressing lounge act as long as Matt Berninger is outfront. His vocals = funeral dirge. It's okay to be upbeat, and it doesn't take away from the gravity of the songs. They could learn a thing or two from AF...

There's a turf war between fans? I only compared it to High Violet as two high-profile albums to come out this year. But since you brought it up, I strongly prefer The National and Berninger's vocals. Plus their lyrics and songwriting as a whole is definitely better. At least I relate a whole lot more to what Berninger is writing about, as opposed to the same preachiness from Butler over and over again.

There's a turf war between fans? I only compared it to High Violet as two high-profile albums to come out this year. But since you brought it up, I strongly prefer The National and Berninger's vocals. Plus their lyrics and songwriting as a whole is definitely better. At least I relate a whole lot more to what Berninger is writing about, as opposed to the same preachiness from Butler over and over again.

Cool story bro.

Finally, someone has said what I've been thinking for a long-time: the National suck. I've seen them live once and enjoyed them but having owned a couple of CD's and given them time I just can't get past the very mannered, consistently depressed/depressing vocal style.

After 3 listens I think this is going to be a good one for me. Perhaps top 5 of the year material.

Interesting how reviews seem to be super positive or really negative.

The only reason I initially bought one of their records (Neon Bible) was the fact that it was inspiring some pretty nasty arguments on a message board I used to post on. I made the purchase simply because I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I guess nothing much has changed over the last couple years.

I love both The National & Arcade Fire. I think it's pretty funny to have a war between fans like it was Tupac vs. Biggie. Although, I think with the fans involved I don't expect any drive by shootings. Maybe something a bit more dramatic. :ninja

Anyways, in the 90s I loved both U2 and R.E.M. I know that there were people who were either in one camp or the other to show allegiance. Point is that a lot of those people who missed out on either of those bands in that decade (heck, or even in the 80s) are now coming around to them and pissed that they were juvenile. I'm thankful for options and even more thankful for the 4 bands that I mentioned. We are very lucky to have them around.

If I were to describe them in my listening tastes, it would sound something like this: The National is a better band to listen to at home either on the stereo or computer. The Arcade Fire is a better band to listen to in your car with the speakers blasting and driving really fast (safely of course).

Edit: I'm also glad that both bands (in both examples actually) are very different from each other. It's just that they both happen/ed to be big at the same time.

Edit Part Deux: Oh, and btw I love The Suburbs (and High Violet too) and I haven't read one review. Talk about enlightenment. Reading reviews drives you crazy, I would avoid them at all costs. Enjoy the music on your own terms, not preconceived notions formed by other people. :thumbup

I just can't get past the very mannered, consistently depressed/depressing vocal style.

not a fan of Tindersticks or Leonard Cohen either?

Matt's vocals certainly aren't for everyone, but i love 'em and don't find the National or his vocals depressing whatsoever, esp. if you actually listen to what he's saying.

even a song like 'Sorrow' on the new album is super upbeat to me, as dark as it sounds.

as for Arcade Fire vs. The National, ehhhh Apples to Oranges. both are 2 of the best bands of the 00's and currently going today for me, and they're both friends/peers.

Boxer blew away Neon Bible in 2007 for me, but this year it's gonna be darn close between High Violet & Suburbs for me, which I fully expected The National to trounce AF's new album, so i was happy when I loved 'The Suburbs' from first listen.

not a fan of Tindersticks or Leonard Cohen either?

Matt's vocals certainly aren't for everyone, but i love 'em and don't find the National or his vocals depressing whatsoever, esp. if you actually listen to what he's saying.

even a song like 'Sorrow' on the new album is super upbeat to me, as dark as it sounds.

Like bands that offer a wee bit more variety. And god they sound so completely joyless all the time. Maybe he has chronic hemmaroids (sic) but unless you are a complete misanthrope it starts sounding false or cabaret like, Gotta give Arcade Fire big kudos for releasing three albums that sound completely different. There was a time when bands liked to explore different musical and lyrical textures and areas. Now - the game seems to be find a niche and milk it as much as you can. A la the National or countless other bands. Which means unless you love that particular style it gets old and/or boring.

Like bands that offer a wee bit more variety. And god they sound so completely joyless all the time. Maybe he has chronic hemmaroids (sic) but unless you are a complete misanthrope it starts sounding false or cabaret like, Gotta give Arcade Fire big kudos for releasing three albums that sound completely different. There was a time when bands liked to explore different musical and lyrical textures and areas. Now - the game seems to be find a niche and milk it as much as you can. A la the National or countless other bands. Which means unless you love that particular style it gets old and/or boring.

I actually find Arcade Fire to be more joyless-sounding than The National by far. But I like both bands, so it really becomes nitpicky for me at some point. I also don't think you give The National enough credit for their "different musical and lyrical textures and areas," but whatever.

I like both Shelleyann Orphan and Missing Foundation.

different strokes i guess.

The National have made a pretty big evolution from their first album in 2001 imo.

different strokes i guess.

The National have made a pretty big evolution from their first album in 2001 imo.

no, you are right, and i totally agree with this statement. and, as i think solace also mentioned earlier, they are in the same "fight" b/c arcade fire was included on dark was the night which was produced by the dessners (of the nat'l)...so i don't get all this polarity b/w tn fans vs. af fans.

personally, i am huge tn fan, and have only had one af album, neon bible, which didn't particularly grab me. i do like the track "lenin" included on dwtn, and i want to check out the 'burbs, just haven't gotten my hands on it yet.

Though I like both bands, at 39 - I relate to The National on a more personal level than Arcade Fire. Matt’s lyrics are, I don’t know, a bit more mature – are maybe a little more relevant to older listeners, where Win’s lyrics strike me as more relatable to someone in their late teens, early twenties. As for the songs, I think The National has shown a greater degree of consistency with respect to their awesomeness– imo.

Though I like both bands, at 39 - I relate to The National on a more personal level than Arcade Fire. Matt’s lyrics are, I don’t know, a bit more mature – are maybe a little more relevant to older listeners, where Win’s lyrics strike me as more relatable to someone in their late teens, early twenties. As for the songs, I think The National has shown a greater degree of consistency with respect to their awesomeness– imo.

:thumbup Agree completely.

LOL, and I was just stopping by to post that on my 4th listen, the Burbs finally clicked with me.

I had returned to Richmond VA a few years ago, on the occassion of my grandmother's passing, and went by my old neighborhood and school, and I think I experienced every feeling Win is singing about and it has stuck with me since. Had a repeat of those feelings when is was twice in PA when my other grandparents passed. I guess that makes me immature, since I'm in my mid 30's, at least by VC's collective definition.

One of the other themes that's prevalent is that of sprawl, and it always strikes me as odd whenever a band (or any other artist) expresses angst over high population. It's not overpopulation that they're usually struggling with (unless it's some relief concert) - just the complete lack of individuality and character of most of the landscape and our lives due to the homogeny that our systems support all those people with. but inherent in that criticism is the notion that all these extra people aren't worth having around... that's a little unsettling.

My friends say that they're just angst ridden over the lowest common denominator of the supply systems that our govts and businesses support us with, but I think there's a little more to it than that... however weird of a notion that may be.