Arcade Fire...

Just a natural tendency to push back against, in my view, unjustified praise. It doesn't mean I would like the album less. I would just be more apt to talk poorly about it when I encounter someone saying how great it is.

I won't hear Suburbs until next Tuesday, but I totally understand your feelings. I felt the same way about Fleet Foxes when both critics and fans went nuts. I liked it okay, but didn't understand the overflowing praise. I feel the same thing getting ready to happen with Mumford and Sons as they get more popular (from a fan standpoint, not critic).

That being said, I can't wait to hear The Suburbs, as AF has only grown on me over time.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many music & movie fans give a shit about what music/movie critics think, let alone other fans?

Who cares? I don't need to read an album review to justify my tastes. I avoid all reviews at all costs. I'll only occasionally read a review after I've seen a film or heard an album. And that's mostly to hear more about behind the scenes types of things.

I'm sick of seeing everyone shit on everything when it gets praise.

Think for yourself. Life is too short to worry about what Jebediah Hipster or Clark Critic thinks about The Suburbs or Inception.

Get to see them live for the second time in two weeks.. tomorrow evening is Osheiga fest in hometown Montreal. Lineup = Pavement/The National/Arcade Fire. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening.

Get to see them live for the second time in two weeks.. tomorrow evening is Osheiga fest in hometown Montreal. Lineup = Pavement/The National/Arcade Fire. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening.

Wow. What a show!!!! Although I'd never have those professional angst-ridden bedwetters The National above Pavement on any bill :) (Although they aren't bad live.)

Wow. What a show!!!! Although I'd never have those professional angst-ridden bedwetters The National above Pavement on any bill :) (Although they aren't bad live.)

Ya, I don't consider them "above" on the bill..probably just a case of old 90's dudes...or old farts that need to get to bed before 9:00.. I can relate. Last time I saw that band live was 15 years ago.. holy shit I'm getting old, ha!

Why do so many music & movie fans give a shit about what music/movie critics think, let alone other fans?

Who cares? I don't need to read an album review to justify my tastes. I avoid all reviews at all costs. I'll only occasionally read a review after I've seen a film or heard an album. And that's mostly to hear more about behind the scenes types of things.

I'm sick of seeing everyone shit on everything when it gets praise.

Think for yourself. Life is too short to worry about what Jebediah Hipster or Clark Critic thinks about The Suburbs or Inception.

I think music and movies are largely social activities. You watch or listen and then discuss amongst your friends or other like-minded people. That's a large part of the enjoyment--sharing that experience with others.

I think music and movies are largely social activities. You watch or listen and then discuss amongst your friends or other like-minded people. That's a large part of the enjoyment--sharing that experience with others.

I agree. I just want the person that I am talking to to explain why they like or didn't like the music or film.

I would also like to add that Empty Room and City With No Children are f'n great songs.

my fave 2 songs for sure. after that, Sprawl II, We Used To Wait, Ready To Start, and Rococo probably

I am about 3 or 4 listens into this album and I can't quite decide if it's gonna work for me overall. I really like parts of it and other parts of it just seem to drift by unnoticed. It definitely is a departure from Neon Bible and even more from Funeral. At least they keep moving on and not repeating themselves. I shall give it every opportunity to grow on me though because a band such as this deserves the time and attention.

sweet! thanks.

i wonder if Target will have any of the 8 different CD covers or just the LP

I don't know. I was under the impression that all of the covers were going to have the same print run and not be a money grab at obsessive fans who have to have every cover.

I plan on buying the LP version. Does the LP have the different covers or just one?

I'm going to the show tonight in Philadelphia. I decided not to listen to any of the new songs so I can experience them live first, and that's making me more excited. It's also my first time seeing them after really liking them for five years.

I wonder if they'll have the album for sale? It would be a nice treat (and would make the two-hour drive back more exciting). Otherwise, it will probably be the end of the week until I can get it, since I'm visiting family and nowhere near a decent music store.

They got a nice write up in the NY Times this weekend. Almost makes me want to go get there album, but considering I have not even made it through their first one (which I own) I doubt I will. The Times is treating them like the second coming...

LouieB

The funniest thing about the reviews of The Suburbs is how they all mention how bad Neon Bible was. The praise for that album was off the charts at the time, getting an 87 on Metacritic (The Suburbs sits at an 85 with a little less than half the amount of reviews).

I'm trying to figure out what that means. Are they downgrading Neon Bible to make The Suburbs look better? Did Neon Bible just not age well? Do they just have amnesia? I guess it stands out to me because I happen to be one of the few who prefers Neon Bible to the other two albums.

I'm trying to figure out what that means. Are they downgrading Neon Bible to make The Suburbs look better? Did Neon Bible just not age well? Do they just have amnesia? I guess it stands out to me because I happen to be one of the few who prefers Neon Bible to the other two albums.

I too am in that same boat, despite being berated by friends. I've enjoyed Funeral, Neon Bible, and the new one so far. Time will tell how they all pan out I suppose.

It's funny because my brother and I were discussing Neon Bible recently and he really didn't like it but I like Neon Bible. He couldn't pin point an exact reason why he didn't like other than it lacked the enthusiasm of the first album.

The funniest thing about the reviews of The Suburbs is how they all mention how bad Neon Bible was. The praise for that album was off the charts at the time, getting an 87 on Metacritic (The Suburbs sits at an 85 with a little less than half the amount of reviews).

whose review are you talking about? PFork's? cause i know they had Neon Bible in their top 2 or 3 of 2007, didn't they?

whose review are you talking about? PFork's? cause i know they had Neon Bible in their top 2 or 3 of 2007, didn't they?

I can't even remember them all because I read a bunch in a row off of Metacritic, but almost all of them have mentioned something negative about Neon Bible in contrast to this album.