Arcade Fire...

Right here. B)

Now I can assume that you are using "those words" because of the particular band that we are talking about. Kind of comparing this song to maybe their past 2 records. I get this. But I choose not to use the past as a measuring stick, no matter how tough it is.

But when you used "those words" to describe the Broken Bells record (I presume) it confused me because I didn't know whether you were holding it up against anything that The Shins have done or just not what you were expecting from those in this new band.

It's a very vague and dismissive way of criticizing something. That's primarily what bugs me about the term and it's sudden newfound ubiquitous usage in our every day vocabulary. Do people really need to use "those words" when describing cheese?

Also, it surprises me that "those words" have seemingly usurped "I don't like it". I personally think "those words" are a lot more harmful to anyone than saying that "they didn't like it". I'd rather tell a friend who creates something that "I didn't like it" because I will feel compelled to explain why in constructive criticism. It sometimes sounds in my head like someone is surprised that a human being can create something beautiful, so they use "those words" as if we are all chimps.

I'll probably write an essay on the topic. But these are just my starting points. And frequent usage of "those words" by individuals to me suggests that they want to project this image that they have such high standards that maybe Leonardo DaVinci or Mozart can quench them. It only projects to me that these people hate everything and are miserable because there are a lot of people that I've come across that won't say that they like something. Never ever.

At least by using "I didn't like it" you can tag on "because the lyrics/guitars etc. weren't that great". Also, if someone says that "they didn't like it" someone usually asks them why. If someone uses "those words" they rarely ask them why.

(obviously, not an attack on bleedorange just opening up a dialog here. It's a much better and more convincing rant in person. I talked to my best friend about it and he agrees with me after I spoke to him.)

I can kind of see where you are coming from, but only because you bring a lot of other projected issues into play behind the usage of that phrase. I think it's valid in music or other forms of art, because sometimes these things just don't work for some people. To impress means to affect deeply or gain the admiration of. If something fails to do that, then it failed to impress me. Is this not what we look for when we listen to music or perceive other works of art? To be moved or to be impressed? I'm not a professional critic, so I'm not going to necessarily always try to critique things in that manner. But if I'm indifferent towards something, not impressed seems like a good phrase to use.

Furthermore, I would never use "not impressed" to describe something I actively dislike or hate, because in those instances, there is more to it than just not feeling anything towards that particular work.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can kind of see where you are coming from, but only because you bring a lot of other projected issues into play behind the usage of that phrase. I think it's valid in music or other forms of art, because sometimes these things just don't work for some people. To impress means to affect deeply or gain the admiration of. If something fails to do that, then it failed to impress me. Is this not what we look for when we listen to music or perceive other works of art? To be moved or to be impressed? I'm not a professional critic, so I'm not going to necessarily always try to critique things in that manner. But if I'm indifferent towards something, not impressed seems like a good phrase to use.

Furthermore, I would never use "not impressed" to describe something I actively dislike or hate, because in those instances, there is more to it than just not feeling anything towards that particular work.

I understand and agree with what you write. But when I see someone who I know nothing about (especially if they don't use their screen name to indicate a favorite band etc.) I know nothing about their tastes and furthermore how they feel about each artist's albums. So by writing that you weren't impressed by the Broken Bells record (which is a really good example, I think) it leaves me in the dark with what your message means. Are you a casual fan of The Shins? Are you a diehard? Have you liked and/or been impressed by all their records and which ones were you not impressed with/didn't like and why? Or were you just curious to check out the music and see what happened? And I guess ultimately what representation of music do you like/love (that one can't see because it's not worn on our sleeve) that is your gauge? Either consciously or subconsciously.

So I can easily break it down into two categories: 1) artists who have been around and 2) artists who have just put something out for the very 1st time. In example 2) I feel bad and/or confused when people say that they weren't impressed by it because I'm left hanging usually without an explanation as to why. So I am left to do the assuming that this person is basing their judgment on this work off of others' works before them. I agree that someone for the 1st time putting out a record can be bad in many instances and for many different reasons. But I would explain why and I guess feel bad about it because it is only their 1st record and I know that I am sub/consciously basing it off of others' works before them. But if I were to say that "I wasn't impressed by it" seems to indicate that there is some unspoken "measuring stick" out there and not a blank slate for these new artists to come out of. Which I think is the case and the problem is that we don't know everyone's "measuring stick".

Month of May definitely sounds like they are channeling the same 80s sound as TV on the Radio.

At first, I though Suburbs was some kind of bland Decemberists take off, but its a very fast grower. I like it a lot. Yes very much.

So is the consensus that if they dont remake funeral, then the songs aren't any good?

Cause I'm wondering what you guys want.

I like the title track even more than I did last night when I posted. It's a great song, albeit in a totally different mood. It seems like a natural, though unfortunate progression. I really like the line about wanting to show his daughter some beauty before

So is the consensus that if they dont remake funeral, then the songs aren't any good?

Cause I'm wondering what you guys want.

I like the title track even more than I did last night when I posted. It's a great song, albeit in a totally different mood. It seems like a natural, though unfortunate progression. I really like the line about wanting to show his daughter some beauty before

maybe the songs just aren't to some peoples' liking. nothin wrong with that.

Neon Bible was/is amazing.

maybe the songs just aren't to some peoples' liking. nothin wrong with that.

Neon Bible was/is amazing.

Sorry. I just hate seeing a band like this crushed by fans expectations of what they are supposed to do. These guys are a big part of whatever pulse music has right now. Dont think there are many bands that bring as much passion and energy to making music. That song has a more forlorn tone, but it's still very passionate, if not as excited. Give'em a chance!

Sorry. I just hate seeing a band like this crushed by fans expectations of what they are supposed to do. These guys are a big part of whatever pulse music has right now. Dont think there are many bands that bring as much passion and energy to making music. That song has a more forlorn tone, but it's still very passionate, if not as excited. Give'em a chance!

nothing to apologize for. i get what you're saying. i like that they just do what they want, whether fans like it or not. i think people will come around to these tunes when we get to hear the full record, if they don't before hand.

No expectations here. I just didn't care for either song.

Headlining MSG with Spoon opening? Ummmmm, what?

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/06/arcade_fire_hea.html

Pitchfork has more dates than just the MSG one.

Pitchfork: Arcade Fire/Spoon Tour Dates

06-07 Sherbrooke, Quebec - Granada Theatre

06-08 Sherbrooke, Quebec - Granada Theatre

06-28 Helsinki, Finland - The Senate Square

06-30 Rättvik, Sweden - Dalhalla

07-02 Arendal, Norway - Hove Festival

07-04 Werchter, Belgium - Rock Werchter Festival

07-09 Naas, Ireland - Oxegen Festival

07-12 Quebec City, Quebec - Quebec City Summer Festival

07-13 Ottawa, Ontario - Ottawa Blues Fest

07-31 Montreal, Quebec - Osheaga Festival

08-01 Boston, MA - Bank of America Pavilion

08-02 Philadelphia, PA - The Mann Center *

08-04 New York, NY - Madison Square Garden *

08-06 Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion *

08-08 Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza

08-09 Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium

08-11 Atlanta, GA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre *

08-14 Toronto, Ontario - Olympic Island

08-27 Leeds, England - Leeds Festival

08-28 Reading, England - Reading Festival

08-29 Saint Cloud, France - Rock En Seine

08-31 Berlin, Germany - Tempodrom

09-02 Bologna, Italy - I-Day Festival

* = w/ Spoon

I dont know why this seems so insane to me, but this seems insane to me. Well, good for them.

it is huge, but with Spoon it's easily do-able...

hell, Interpol has played MSG, so has Muse

is there much in between Radio City & MSG size-wise? other than maybe Jone's Beach?