via Chicago (the song)

I love Wilco, but one small beef I have is the use of dissonance in their songs, and yes, I realize that for many, this is probably heresy. But I'm dismayed and confused about it especially as it relates to the song via Chicago. It is such an incredible song, but I really don't know what they are trying to achieve with the sudden crashing cacophony in the middle of the song. Anyone have any insight to why they do that in this song?

Thanks.

I love Wilco, but one small beef I have is the use of dissonance in their songs, and yes, I realize that for many, this is probably heresy. But I'm dismayed and confused about it especially as it relates to the song via Chicago. It is such an incredible song, but I really don't know what they are trying to achieve with the sudden crashing cacophony in the middle of the song. Anyone have any insight to why they do that in this song?

Thanks.

Yes. If you walk around downtown Chicago, and the "el" train goes overhead, you'll totally get it.

06-chicago-one-way-el-train_tcm38-14152.jpg

Yeah I must tastefully disagree, the song needs the dissonance I think. Summerteeth is a shimmering pop record without the dark alleys of dissonance and distortion, and those exact points make it such such a harrowing, darker mystery of a listen. Plus it fits perfectly with the dark lyrics of the song

I'm not a big fan of the noise (as it is) in the live version. I do love the album cut, however.

Seconded.

The dissonance is perfect, a sonic disruption for an already uneasy dream-like, murder ballad. It is the same idea flirted with on BT during "Misunderstood", and the same kind of narrative tear that makes YHF most defining moments. It was only logical that the band would later create a track that featured only dissonance and noise for the majority of its duration.

Part of what makes it one of my favorite tracks on the record is it adds tension and lends to the surreal atmosphere conjured by the lyrics. Just like the images in the words it spontaneously goes out of focus and disappears as fast as it rears its head.

I think live they only heighten the drama, so that it's felt by the back row. But, to each their own I suppose.

one can almost compare this dissonance to Jackson Pollock. watching him paint may be a little nerve racking, perhaps it may come off as sloppy and cheap, however its hard to deny the beauty of the finished piece. Via Chicago needs dissonance like I need coffee in the morning. some things just have to happen. then again, I can see why some may be put off by it. that's the beauty of Wilco. they satisfy all of our needs.

btw, awesome post, lost highway!

Yes, the dissonance (although hard on the ears) is what makes via Chicago brilliant. I remember watching a video of them performing it live (think it was ACL) with my Dad. When that part came up, he was like "what's going on? is it supposed to be like that?". I have been influenced by Wilco's use of dissonance in my own music... If used right, it can be awesome.. But if used too much it's no longer music, just noise..

Still yet to see them play VC live, and I've seen them 3 times in the last two years... Hopefully they'll play it in Savannah.

Guest Speed Racer

I love dissonance, particularly in Wilco songs. I enjoy the dissonance very much on the record, and I enjoy the live takes pre-2004, but Wilco Mach 6 goes Spinal Tap on Via Chicago these days. It's really hard for me to not think of it as too over the top (banging the piano with a stool? maracas?).

There are a few live solo takes of this (if I recall) that really succeed with the less-is-more technique.

I thought about this when I was listening to Being There on vinyl the other day. I'll preface to say I listened to Wilco first with ST but become immersed following YHF. With the stereo loud and the discordant opening of "Misunderstood" I wondered about the first listen by a long-time Uncle Tupelo fan that followed them through A.M., what they thought. I could imagine the mixed emotions of someone who clung to alt-country roots, to the NOISE. It could easily be taken as a f@%k-off by the end "thank you all for NOTHING." What to think, such an affront?!? Then comes Far, Far Away.

I wanted to go back through the archives of this list to get some of the flavor of the debate of this album -- (but then I guess it didn't exist then?) What is readily noticeable throughout the threads on this list, though, is those that still cling to those roots. Somehow, those listeners learned to deal with the dischoradnt (only grumbling occasionally). Then there are those who craved the noise and clung to it, and felt robbed of it by Tweedy when Bennett was sent packing.

Wilco fans, regardless of where they came to the band, how old they are, or what their musical frame of reference, cling to the dysfunctional aspect of the band. There's a range of moods, angst, dissolution, anger, insanity, and in recent years, resolution (sometimes bordering on hopefulness).

After these meanderings, the short answer is the dissonance serves a purpose. It's part of the tapestry, designed to elicit that reaction. It wouldn't be Wilco without it.

Via Chicago without the aural mind fuck would be like fireworks without the boom- pretty, but not altogether outstanding. The first time I ever heard the song was also the first time I ever saw Wilco live. The song was going along, nice and pretty, and then all of the sudden the world sounded like it was crashing in, at least inside Cain's Ballroom. My mind was blown and that's when I knew Wilco was, without question, the best live band I'd ever get to see in my life. That being said, I also love the studio version of the song, it just depends on the day which version I prefer more.

VC is the obvious example but this band uses dissonance and head-fuck sonics on a LOT of their songs. I particularly love how they end songs with dissonance, just slowly fading the instrumental parts into a bath of white noise. This technique can sound awful but Wilco execute it brilliantly imo.

I have to say - I wonder how you can be a fan of Wilco if you're not into that stuff!

Via Chicago without the aural mind fuck would be like fireworks without the boom- pretty, but not altogether outstanding. The first time I ever heard the song was also the first time I ever saw Wilco live. The song was going along, nice and pretty, and then all of the sudden the world sounded like it was crashing in, at least inside Cain's Ballroom. My mind was blown and that's when I knew Wilco was, without question, the best live band I'd ever get to see in my life. That being said, I also love the studio version of the song, it just depends on the day which version I prefer more.

I had an experience a lot like yours. I knew the song before the 1st show I saw, but never heard a live version of it. When the noise/lights kicked in, I lost it. I had never seen anything like that live before. The " noise" totally makes the live version remarkable.

I mean, jeez, listen to the lyrics. If there wasn't noise it would be weird. Same goes for "Bull Black Nova", without the noise, there wouldn't be near enough tension. It's like reading a really good thriller novel, where you can't put the book down, and it creates this anticipation. That's what Wilco does with the noise.

Add me to the list of those who deem it necessary. The pretty parts are made prettier by the noise. Yin-yang sorta thing. And yes, it is appropriate to the song.

Is there really a place called this? If so, where?

for sure... Best place for live music in Tulsa, OK! You can get your own taste of Cain's in the opening sequence in Ashes of An American flag...

So many of Wilco's songs are utterly beautiful that I can understand how some fans would only tolerate the other stuff. It's definitely a crucial part of the package for me, though. I'm not sure what psychological yearning dissonance and distortion feed, but more and more I'm finding that I crave these little warts in the music I listen to. This is especially true with Summerteeth, an album that is just a little bit too pop friendly for me. Wilco would be one of my favorite bands without the noise, but they wouldn't be at the very top.

That said, I have to agree with those who slightly prefer the album version of Via Chicago. The dissonance in the studio version coincides with the lyrical climax...which gets lost a little bit live. You can't even hear Jeff's vocals sometimes. Still, it's a concert highlight, even if my brain has to insert the words in the appropriate spot.

Guest Runaway Jim

I guess I'll be the only one to agree with the OP. I've never much cared for the "sudden crashing cacophony" in Via Chicago. It certainly doesn't ruin the song for me, but I just don't like the sound. I do love the dissonance on other Wilco songs like Misunderstood or Sunken Treasure, just not Via Chicago so much.