Alex Chilton Dies

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, I saw them sit in at the last Memphis Wilco show. That show was so strange that I wasn't sure what all I saw. Have been meaning to look into them but never got around to it.

Sorry you guys are so heartbroken. Must have been a great man and musician.

let's not forget the fantastic but shortlived Box Tops.

#1 single at 16 years old... unreal

I scrolled past this post a couple times before watching the clip. I've known that song all of my life and NEVER would have guessed that was Alex Chilton. Wow!

I'm only just a Big Star novice, but I've been listening to them a little more since reading about his death last night. Such a shame.:(

I scrolled past this post a couple times before watching the clip. I've known that song all of my life and NEVER would have guessed that was Alex Chilton. Wow!

Yeah, it doesn't sound anything like his singing voice in Big Star, or any of his solo material I've heard.

If I'm not mistaken, I saw them sit in at the last Memphis Wilco show. That show was so strange that I wasn't sure what all I saw. Have been meaning to look into them but never got around to it.

Sorry you guys are so heartbroken. Must have been a great man and musician.

That was Jody Stephens, Big Star's drummer. He's played with Jeff in Golden Smog and usually joins Wilco onstage when they hit Memphis. The other guy onstage with them that night was Liam Finn. Was a great show!

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit played a Big Star cover in Alex's honor. Jason was the one who told me he died. :( Big Star was one of the 1st real "power pop" bands I listened to.

they played that when i saw them back in January as well, it's an amazing cover.

Jason just put up a studio version of it on their MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/jasonisbellmusic

Have to say I like Chilton's vocal on this a lot more than the original falsetto by Chris Bell.

Read through many of these posts but had to stop somewhere in the middle of page 2.

Absolutely devastated.

I'd been a fan for 25 years.

Want to listen to his music now, but just can't.

:(

Love you Alex.

xo

Big bummer. Never saw him in any capacity, though I've been a fan for close to 20 years now. What a major talent. I'll pull out the vinyl this weekend.

Very sad and too young.

I'm going to play some Big Star on guitar tonight.

I should have done that, too. Instead, I learned Iggy/Stooges "Search and Destroy" courtesy of a metal dude on Youtube. I'll have to make a point this weekend of learning some Big Star.

I'll bet Chilton and the Big Star guys ran into Igg and his guys a few times over the years.

I'm still on the verge of tears every time I see a thread or hear one of his songs. for some reason he has been on my mind lately. it just tears me up that this has happened. he was too young. I guess I sort of took comfort knowing that he was somewhere out in the world (New Orleans in particular), I guess because his music has always been comforting to me. I can't express enough how much I hate this...

That was Jody Stephens, Big Star's drummer. He's played with Jeff in Golden Smog and usually joins Wilco onstage when they hit Memphis. The other guy onstage with them that night was Liam Finn. Was a great show!

oh ok thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure my brother explained this all to me at some point during the show.

Yes Liam Finn rocked my face off. Great Great Live show. I didn't mean strange in a bad way, there were just strange vibes and such in the room.