bands you might listen to more if they had a different singer

a friend of mine sent me an (apparently) old Kings of Leon song the other day, and I kinda liked some of the music, but I can't get around that guy's voice.

I used to have this problem with the Flaming Lips early on, but I grew to love Wayne.

I've met people who have this issue with Led Zeppelin

do your thing...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pondering this question, but the truth is, I haven't thought of any band that I would definitely listen to more often with a different singer. If I don't listen to them already, there are probably additional reasons for that.

Great topic!

i thought of all of those mentioned...built to spill, kings of leon, radiohead, hold steady. i would add band of horses to the mix as well as iron and wine. it's really too bad about this. especially kings of leon. their first few albums are produced so well. i just don't get the lazy vocals of them. and thom york borders on annoying. the dude from hold steady doesn't sing at all. i've thought of them as the mighty mighty boss tones with out horns;)

Dr. Dog

Both singers?

Great topic!

i thought of all of those mentioned...built to spill, kings of leon, radiohead, hold steady. i would add band of horses to the mix as well as iron and wine. it's really too bad about this. especially kings of leon. their first few albums are produced so well. i just don't get the lazy vocals of them. and thom york borders on annoying. the dude from hold steady doesn't sing at all. i've thought of them as the mighty mighty boss tones with out horns;)

I can't imagine Radiohead or The Hold Steady without those singers. They are a large part of the appeal.

Both singers?

Unfortunately, yes. I still dig the band, but the vocals prevent my enjoyment from soaring.

I'll second Band of Horses, too. Lucero is another one that comes to mind.

All Van Halens that don't have Mr. David Lee Roth

Television may have benefitted from a different vocalist, but I still love 'em

can't believe no one has whined about j mascis (and his, ummm, whine)

but I still love 'em

MC5?

On the other hand, what about singers who maybe makeup for a bands limitations......

The Furs come to mind

All Van Halens that don't have Mr. David Lee Roth

Television may have benefitted from a different vocalist, but I still love 'em

can't believe no one has whined about j mascis (and his, ummm, whine)

but I still love 'em

MC5?

On the other hand, what about singers who maybe makeup for a bands limitations......

The Furs come to mind

yes, television. i love their music, but verlaine is too tough to take.