Now Playing: July 2010

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great album, although I'm partial to Texas Flood. Why this album for the reissue?

I prefer Texas Flood also. I heard they were trying to put this out as a 25th anniversary type thing last year but didn't make it. Plus I think this was a bigger seller, kind of the bands breakthrough album, first one to go platinum, etc... I actually have these on vinyl already so probably won't commit, even for the extra tracks.

The new Los Lobos is sounding really good to me today. I need to see this band.

Listen to it all on NPR:

27534_29370178673_8294_n.jpg

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128540202&sc=nl&cc=mn-20100727

this. wow. very good. classic example of a band i forget about, hear them, want to listen a lot but still forget to. even saw them live once & absolutely loved them (1996? opening for DMB)

this. wow. very good. classic example of a band i forget about, hear them, want to listen a lot but still forget to. even saw them live once & absolutely loved them (1996? opening for DMB)

DMB doesn't even deserve to lick their sweaty jocks.

36127165.jpg davis_tyron_canichang_101b.jpg

William Bell - The Soul of a Bell (1967)

Tyrone Davis - Can I Change My Mind (1969)

Your thoughts on TTOCL?

hmmm, well it's interesting. the 2 properly "listenable" songs are 6868 & House with No Mirrors - mainly cos Gruff sings on those 2.

it's cool, but he better release a proper solo album this year and a new Super Furry Animals would be nice too! is the Seperado Soundtrack gonna come out when the film/dvd does? Maybe that will count as a solo album.

hmmm, well it's interesting. the 2 properly "listenable" songs are 6868 & House with No Mirrors - mainly cos Gruff sings on those 2.

it's cool, but he better release a proper solo album this year and a new Super Furry Animals would be nice too! is the Seperado Soundtrack gonna come out when the film/dvd does? Maybe that will count as a solo album.

Interesting is probably the best word. I think the pitchfork review (5.6) was pretty spot on. I don't think this is a horrible album at all, and I really like Gruff's songs. House With No Mirrors is a pretty great one, actually. I even like some of Tony's songs. There are a few moments where I'm really digging the fuzzy guitar chords+glitchy techno bleeps formula they used here, but as a whole, it's a bit much. I've listened to it 7/8 times so far, and I'm still interested in it, for whatever that's worth. Either way I'm glad he made it. It's an interesting side of Gruff, and it could have a really positive effect on his future work, SFA or solo.

Last I heard, the Seperado soundtrack will be a Gruff solo record, for all intents and purposes. He wants to do a DVD/CD thing, I believe. And that's supposed to be out this year. I think now that TTOCL is released, that announcement is coming. Gruff just launched his new website, and it's got a bunch of booking/management links, so I feel something's coming.

But SFA LP10 is probably not coming this year. Gruff mentioned really wanting to deliver something special, so I think they'll take more time. Even without any real information, that's easily my most hyped album right now. I really don't think there's a better band out there right now.

Interesting is probably the best word. I think the pitchfork review (5.6) was pretty spot on. I don't think this is a horrible album at all, and I really like Gruff's songs. House With No Mirrors is a pretty great one, actually. I even like some of Tony's songs. There are a few moments where I'm really digging the fuzzy guitar chords+glitchy techno bleeps formula they used here, but as a whole, it's a bit much. I've listened to it 7/8 times so far, and I'm still interested in it, for whatever that's worth. Either way I'm glad he made it. It's an interesting side of Gruff, and it could have a really positive effect on his future work, SFA or solo.

Last I heard, the Seperado soundtrack will be a Gruff solo record, for all intents and purposes. He wants to do a DVD/CD thing, I believe. And that's supposed to be out this year. I think now that TTOCL is released, that announcement is coming. Gruff just launched his new website, and it's got a bunch of booking/management links, so I feel something's coming.

But SFA LP10 is probably not coming this year. Gruff mentioned really wanting to deliver something special, so I think they'll take more time. Even without any real information, that's easily my most hyped album right now. I really don't think there's a better band out there right now.

cool. cheers for the info! so that means SFA aren't gonna ever finish that Instrumental album then? never mind.

cool. cheers for the info! so that means SFA aren't gonna ever finish that Instrumental album then? never mind.

I think the "album" has been scrapped. But I'd be shocked if none of that material surfaces. That little documentary from earlier this year had some really intriguing snippets of music. It seems like The Very best of Neil Diamond stemmed from those orchestral sessions, so I don't think they'll be wasted.

I have the utmost trust in those guys' quality control. If the instrumental stuff wasn't working, I bet they'll find a way to make it work.

617742203820.jpg B0036BDQKQ.jpg

Just arrived:

61CK3Sj4saL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(Number: 28/2500)

Just got this today on vinyl. # 1471/4000 and the vinyl is as black as night. Thought it was colored? Looked all over Mexican summers site and so no mention of colored vinyl... (nevermind 1st 1000 are on seafoam, 3000 on black)

I prefer Texas Flood also. I heard they were trying to put this out as a 25th anniversary type thing last year but didn't make it. Plus I think this was a bigger seller, kind of the bands breakthrough album, first one to go platinum, etc... I actually have these on vinyl already so probably won't commit, even for the extra tracks.

Yeah, it was the bigger seller. But IMHO, not the better album. There's some fierce guitar playing on there. "The Things I Used to Do" is just nasty.

Just got this today on vinyl. # 1471/4000 and the vinyl is as black as night. Thought it was colored? Looked all over Mexican summers site and so no mention of colored vinyl... (nevermind 1st 1000 are on seafoam, 3000 on black)

oh well! you have a great album on vinyl tho! i'll be picking this up on vinyl this week.

oh well! you have a great album on vinyl tho! i'll be picking this up on vinyl this week.

Yeah, thought since I picked it up early it would be colored though. But seriously, it was the only copy the store had too. I guess I picked up the last one they had...They had none of the limited CDs.

Been picking up most new albums on vinyl lately unless the CD copy is really cheap at Best Buy or wherever.

A lot of folks feel that black vinyl provides better sound quality than colored vinyl. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, at least you can be happy about that.

Having said that, if given the option, I'd buy a colored LP over a black one, and I'd be a little bummed if I thought I was buying a colored LP and it turned out to be black.

Anyway, I like the Best Coast tunes I've heard. I'll probably pick this one up.

Yeah, thought since I picked it up early it would be colored though. But seriously, it was the only copy the store had too. I guess I picked up the last one they had...They had none of the limited CDs.

Been picking up most new albums on vinyl lately unless the CD copy is really cheap at Best Buy or wherever.

yeah, i've actually started selling all of my CD's...and going mostly with vinyl. i'm running out of space now (over 2500 CD's). I'm like you...i'll buy the CD if it's really cheap, best buy usually has 7.99 or 9.99 on new discs...i'll transfer them to my computer, make a backup, then sell the CD back! If i really like the album i'll buy the vinyl.

61CK3Sj4saL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

First listen finally. Reminds me of Neko Case. Unfortunately the version I have seems way over the top on reverb, I hope that's not how the album sounds, it's making me afraid to buy it. Very catchy fun album so far.