I am a sucker for 90's pop rock!

Does Cracker count? I don't think anyone has mentioned them yet.

I saw Cracker, Gin Blossoms, and Spin Doctors on a triple bill in '94. The Blossoms were just ok, The Docs were fun, but Cracker stole the show. I really got off on their set.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By reading this thread, I realized how much music from the 90s I still play. I guess it is not too soon for me to go back to that decade's music, as I've continued to listen to it regularly.

Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend and 100% Fun are excellent - "Sick of Myself" has a guitar riff that is so good that I cannot believe that it never hit it big. His live shows were noisy, loud, distorted...and fun.

Fastball had a good record there, too. Saw them open for someone (Whiskeytown, I think) and they were solid.

Cracker still kills me.

I liked Live's first 2 records as well, and their live shows at that time were incredibly energetic.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin was another 90s band I loved.

I've had two people seperately tell me that Collective Soul put on a kick-ass show. Personally I don't know. I bought one if their albums, but I never saw them live.

i found a cassette tape of theirs in my yard back in like '96 and played that sucker all the time. dunno who would've lost a treasure like that. also found an Aerosmith cd in my yard a few months later but didn't care for that.

Just threw Del Amitri's "Twisted" on my playlist during a long car trip last week. Their entire catalog is really good if you like that kind of sad soul pop rock.

Oh, I loved Del Amitri, and I still do... Never had the chance of seeing them live but in the last few years I've seen several times their lead singer, Justin Currie, playing solo and he's amazing. On his live shows he revisits some of the Dels catalog and it's really great!!

Ah, the 90s...the last time I actually knew what was going on in mainstream pop music. Those were the good old days. I pretty much never listen to comemrcial radio anymore. The 90s pop rock era was the last time commercial radio (at least in DC) held any appeal.

But then MTV went to full-time reality trash TV instead of videos, WHFS went ranchero, and before long I had no idea what the kids these days are listening to.

Sigh.

Guest Speed Racer

Ditto to Fastball's All the Pain Money Can Buy and Wallflower's Bringing Down the Horse. Didn't know until recently that Jon Brion did a lot of lead guitar on the album. I thought Make Your Mama Proud (Fastball) was also a stellar record, and the b-side to All the Pain, "Freeloader Freddy," still gets a lot of play on my iPod.

Words cannot express how much I loathe the Gin Blossoms.

I have a six-hour playlist entitled "Songs You Might Have Heard on 1990s Radio" that I spent a long time building about a year or so ago. It's periodically removed from my iPod, but in the summer, it makes a strong return for barbecues, boat trips and general outdoor merriment. The playlist includes most of everything that's been discussed in this thread, and then some. It's one of those compilations that evokes an "Oh my God, I haven't heard this song in ages!" response with nearly every song.

I still listen to Superdrag quite a bit. I think their 90's output still stands up. Also have a soft spot for The Muffs. It's nothing Earth-shattering, I just like Kim Shattuck's voice and think she writes some great pop/rock/punk/whatever tunes.

I posted the above and immediately Teenage Fanclub played on my mp3, followed by The Posies. So throw them in there as well.

I saw Cracker, Gin Blossoms, and Spin Doctors on a triple bill in '94. The Blossoms were just ok, The Docs were fun, but Cracker stole the show. I really got off on their set.

I think I saw that tour, too. Was that a summer amphitheater tour?

I posted the above and immediately Teenage Fanclub played on my mp3, followed by The Posies. So throw them in there as well

Oooh, highly recommended, Teenage Fanclub just released a new album called "Shadows" and it's brilliant!!! Beautiful pop tunes!!

I was a big Belly fan back in the day. The band, not the body part. ;)

Me too. I got to see them once, and it was fun. I've never listened to their second album, but their first album sounds very dated now, especially in comparison to albums she played on prior to Belly. Supposedly, the songs on Star were supposed to be the second Breeders album.

Me too. I got to see them once, and it was fun. I've never listened to their second album, but their first album sounds very dated now, especially in comparison to albums she played on prior to Belly. Supposedly, the songs on Star were supposed to be the second Breeders album.

I'm still a big Tanya Donelly fan.

On her website she has a series of demos from Star and a note explaining that they were supposed to be a second Breeders' album.

I'm still a big Tanya Donelly fan.

On her website she has a series of demos from Star and a note explaining that they were supposed to be a second Breeders' album.

Great link! Thanks. I had no idea those demos existed.

This entire thread made me smile! So many great memories and music. I remember high school, blasting the Gin Blossoms in my Discman... Toad the Wet Sprocket, Lemonheads, Matthew Sweet, Crowded House are all bands I still love dearly. Great thread!

My older brother, who introduced me to SO much great music back in those day, and I are taking a road trip this weekend. I should make an all-90's playlist for the drive perhaps.....

Great thread. No Big Head Todd mention yet or did I miss it. I had Sirius for a couple years and Lithium(the channel) was a great tool for memory jogging but it got a little repetitive for me. None the less it lead me to dig out all my scratched up 90's cd's from my teens. I was pretty close to throwin on a flannel and some Doc Martins right around 2007. Luckily my hair doesn't grow to fast any more or I may have been tempted to grow out the Dave Pirner again.