RIP White Stripes

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/02/02/the-white-stripes-break-up/

We’ll remember February 2nd, 2011 for two reasons: a massive blizzard and The White Stripes’ break-up. According to a notice posted on the band’s website, Jack and Meg White’s acclaimed collaboration is no more.

“The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health,” the statement reads. “It is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band have it stay that way.”

“The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on any of us and we are truly grateful.”

During their 13-year existence, the band released six studio albums, and their fourth LP, Elephant, was picked by Consequence of Sound as the 7th best album of the 2000s. In September 2007, the duo announced the cancellation of 18 tour dates due to Meg’s suffering from acute anxiety problems They last performed together on February 20th, 2009 for the final episode of Late Night with Conan O’Brien, where they dropped a version of “We’re Going to Be Friends”.

They will be missed.

I love the Stripes but kind of gave up on them recently. I find it weird they haven't done anything in waht 3 years then now they announce they broke up? Why now?

Weren't they working on a new album/possible tour? I guess that didn't go over well.

I love the Stripes but kind of gave up on them recently. I find it weird they haven't done anything in what 3 years then now they announce they broke up? Why now?

I think that they have a very slow modem and that this news was sent out in 2007. :ninja

I also skipped out on their 3 night run at the Boston Opera House in 2005 to see U2 on their once-every-election-year tour. :ohwell Edit: Oops. But I did seem them one last time in Boston in 2007 at Boston University's Agganis Arena. It was probably their weakest show. Their Easter show in 2003 at the Boston Orpheum was legendary. 13th row and broadcast on the also recently dead WBCN.

I have seen the stripes maybe 6 or 7 times since 2003. The last show I saw in CT on the last tour kind of was lukewarm for me. Something was certianly amiss. The last album I maybe listened to 3 or 4 times through and haven't really gone back. I do still have many fond memories of seeing them at Coney Island, Union Square and in Montreal..

I remember having tickets to the Stubb's show during ACL when my buddy called me to tell me they cancelled!

Luckily, I had seen them before during the tour for Elephant and although I'm saddened by the news that they are done, it really comes as no surprise.