RIP White Stripes

Breaking up seems so cliche now. Why not just say "we're gonna take an extended break and then, in a decade or maybe less, we'll gouge the shit out of you for the reunion tour tickets." I guess that doesn't sound that sexy when you put it that way. I never saw them live, so I need to start a reunion tour ticket savings account.

Their music got old to me lately, but I really dug the hell out of their firste 4 albums. Recently whenever they come up on the ipod, I'll skip them 9 out of every 10 times. I guess I'm just done with them.

Sure, but I don't believe anyone in the band is named "White Stripes". The band is dead.

You're implying what constitutes the band has died. The concept of the band lives in eternity through the art/product/etc.

/nitpicking

When I reread the statement later, it does not totally exclude another new album recently recorded, it just says as of 2/2 they will no longer record. It wouldn't surprise me if they recorded a new album the day before in one long session.

I hope this is true as Icky Thump is not a great swan song of an album.

Is the music with his other two bands all that different? Is it basically the same Jack, just different drummer and other musicians around him?

I have the first Raconteurs album. His songs sound pretty much like the prior WS album at that time, Get Thee Behind Me Satan.

When I reread the statement later, it does not totally exclude another new album recently recorded, it just says as of 2/2 they will no longer record. It wouldn't surprise me if they recorded a new album the day before in one long session.

I hope this is true as Icky Thump is not a great swan song of an album.

Is the music with his other two bands all that different? Is it basically the same Jack, just different drummer and other musicians around him?

I have the first Raconteurs album. His songs sound pretty much like the prior WS album at that time, Get Thee Behind Me Satan.

I thought they peaked at Get Behind Me Satan too, or at least that was their last great album - I really liked that album, but Icky Thump was just shockingly bad to my ears, and all his side-projects are a bit third-rate too. He just seems to be going downhill fast, every time i read something he says or does the word "twat" seems to form in my head in big neon letters. His work on the Wanda Jackson album is way too heavy handed and ultimately dull. Anyway, what I'm getting at here is I don't really care they've called it a day - it's just a shame that the band was the only properly worthwhile thing he's done, besides the Loretta Lynn album.

They'll be back though. I would bet my airline guitar on it.

White Stripes were always one of those bands for me that I could listen to their album, get some mild amusement, and then put it down and never really listen to again... But as far as live shows, I'll never forget when I saw them at a festival in 2005. I wasn't expecting much from a two piece but it was a wall of sound. They were by far the loudest band of the festival with just one guitar and drums...

The enigma that is Jack White continues on his way. He kind of remids me or Ryan Adams without the drugs. Prolific for sure. But it seems he has more of an internal editor that RA does.

The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather are pretty darn good 'side projects'. I'm sure his creativity will continue unabated.

But whatever will happen to Meg?

But whatever will happen to Meg?

It seems like she's been laying fairly low ever since that old sex video of hers surfaced a few years back. I remember hearing about the video, then suddenly their tour was cancelled. Seems like too much of a coincidence to be ignored.

It seems like she's been laying fairly low ever since that old sex video of hers surfaced a few years back. I remember hearing about the video, then suddenly their tour was cancelled. Seems like too much of a coincidence to be ignored.

I'm pretty sure that that sex tape was actually of a woman who looks like Meg White...a little bit (in certain parts. :monkey )

Anyways, I just did some research and yeah that's not her.

this is the band i have always wanted to see/hear/witness and i missed out or never took advantage of the chance to see them.

boo me, oh well. bands break up and then get back together years down the road for a reunion tour, though not sure about jack white.

he has many irons in the fire as they say and it would be some time.

will have to spin some of their LPs loud in mourning..........

I got to see the Stripes on their last U.S. tour in the summer of 2005. Jack White absolutley torched the place. He strutted out in a white suit and top hat with electric guitar in hand ("Say My Name" was the song I think). Then he spent 2 hours bouncing from guitars to keyboards to marimba. I'm very much a straight dude, but I could not take my eyes off the guy. He has an amazing prescence on stage and is incredibly talented and driven. I liked the mystery of the Stripes. Jack White made the band more than just music, although the music was damn good. I've seen White mutliple times with the Raconteurs and Dead Weather, and he was equally mesmerizing. Even seeing Jack White played behind Wanda Jackson on Letterman is worth 5 minutes of your time.

Sucks that the White Stripes are done, but I kind of like that they aren't risking tarnishing their great legacy.

check out Jack White in the movie IT MIGHT GET LOUD. it is about him, The Edge, and Jimmy Page talking about the guitar and they end up jamming together. He holds his own in that amazing group of musicians.

I understand how you feel jakobnicholas....i just wish i had that same live experience as you did. missed out. but i have the music and that is timeless.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...