The Zambrano and Soriano contracts are a lot bigger and longer than the Marlins' ones.

Plus the Cubs don't really need to make moved like those to get fans to show up. The Marlins are kind of uniquely positioned to have every free agency dollar mean more right now, because it potentially means that much more interest in the club in a town that has a notoriously short attention span.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were my call, I think I would give the years and money to Fielder. He's got more of an upside still being in his 20's.

I'll take Trumbo right now for Martin AND Olt.

Hanley Ramirez is 6'3" 220 pounds. That's really freaking big for a short stop.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ramirez is better suited to be a third baseman. But there is an emotional quotient there.

In the DR, SS's ar the superstars.

Ramirez has shown in the past that he will react adversely if he is unhappy.

It will be interesting to see what the story is at the all-star break.

One time, the team told him he needed to cut his dreadlocks for a new team policy. He shouted "Fucking trade me" in the locker room in front of reporters.

Then he cut his dreads, didn't say anything more of it, hit .332/.386/.562 with 29 home runs and 51 stolen bases.

I'm not worried about this at all.

And K-Rod fucked the Brewers by also accepting arbitration. The former closer is now forcing the Brewers to pay him around $13MM to be a set-up man. They wanted the draft picks he was to bring. Now the Brew Crew will have to shell out about $5MM to trade him, if they can trade him.

I don't follow the Brewers all that closely so I'm sure I'm missing something but isn't this a case of the Brewers screwing themselves equally as much as K Rod screwing them? They acquired him and his hefty salary and asked him to be a set-up guy. They gambled by offering him arbitration so they could get the extra first round pick and they assumed he'd turn it down. When you say he screwed them are you suggesting that they had some unwritten agreement or understanding that he would turn down arbitration?

I don't follow the Brewers all that closely so I'm sure I'm missing something but isn't this a case of the Brewers screwing themselves equally as much as K Rod screwing them? They acquired him and his hefty salary and asked him to be a set-up guy. They gambled by offering him arbitration so they could get the extra first round pick and they assumed he'd turn it down. When you say he screwed them are you suggesting that they had some unwritten agreement or understanding that he would turn down arbitration?

He expressed an unhappiness about not getting any opportunities to close with the Brewers. Honestly he was a good teammate about it because he wanted to be a part of the 2011 postseason in Milwaukee. It was clear, however, he intended to move on, seeking a closer's job. He did what he has a right to do and the Brewers took the risk, but with being a Boras client and his desire to close, all indications from his side was that he wanted to leave so he could close again.

I'm sure the Brewers aren't happy with the big salary they'll be paying him, but it's only one year, they're better with him on the team than not (though certainly they'll be paying him a lot more than what he'll be contributing) and he could be a pretty valuable trade chip by midseason if it comes to it. Not the ideal result for the Brewers but they're far from screwed by it.

I don't understand what size has to do with playing SS or 3B. Either you can play it or you can't. There have been big shortstops before. There have been small third basemen.

I don't understand what size has to do with playing SS or 3B. Either you can play it or you can't. There have been big shortstops before. There have been small third basemen.

i do not think there were many big ss until cal ripken jr. not sure how many there are currently post-steroids.

i agree a smaller player can play third. but they need a big arm and fairly powerful bat.

It's less about being a proto-typical third baseman and more about him outgrowing SS, for me.

At least they aren't talking about moving him to centerfield...

If this stands up, it is a black eye on the 'Crew's great run this past season.

As a lifelong diehard Brewers fan, I agree. If this proves true, then Brewers fans have been robbed of our next Robin Yount, a beloved franchise face that became a local legend for many reasons off the field as well as on.

Are you F'ing kidding me?

Ryan Braun tested postive for PEDs

While a Cubs fan, I have always like Ryan, he played hard and seemed like a stand up guy. If this stands up, it is a black eye on the 'Crew's great run this past season.

A pretty dark day for baseball.

The NL MVP testing positive for PEDs.

Pretty sad.

A pretty dark day for baseball.

The NL MVP testing positive for PEDs.

Pretty sad.

I am not sure if Keith Olbermann is a reliable source on this but he just tweeted this:

RT @Haudricourt Just spoke to someone familiar with the details of Ryan Braun's test and was assured he will be found innocent. If so, horrible this leaked out.

I can't seem to find anything else on this.

Even if the test is found to be false, or inaccurate, it still is bad. Braun will forever have the specter of PEDs around his career. That is just too bad.

I am not sure if Keith Olbermann is a reliable source on this but he just tweeted this:

I can't seem to find anything else on this.

Even if the test is found to be false, or inaccurate, it still is bad. Braun will forever have the specter of PEDs around his career. That is just too bad.

Nobody ever admits to any indiscretions when they are first caught. Has anybody EVER admitted to using PEDs? (Besides Jose Canseco?)

I do love me some Bob Costas.

Watching Studio 42 on the MLB network.

This article explains pretty well what is actually known about the failed test and why it's being disputed

http://deadspin.com/...brauns-ped-case

Good article. It seems like a mess. Right now, it looks as though he took something, be it a masking agent or whatever. It is sad for sure. Even if he comes out the other side of this being found not guilty there will forever be questions, especially if next year his numbers drop. Which in all likelihood they will without batting in front of Prince Fielder.

My feeling is that if through whatever procedures there are he is found guilty and given a 50 game suspension he should be stripped of his NL MVP award.

It looks like the Brewers are tying to add pop to their line up by adding AmRam. Though Ramierz is not a replacement for both Prince and Braun. So now are the Pirates the early favorites to win the NL Central?

---SS, my dream announcing team would be Bob Costas and Vern Scully.

That would be greatness icarnated

This article explains pretty well what is actually known about the failed test and why it's being disputed

http://deadspin.com/...brauns-ped-case

Here in Milwaukee, the deafening rumor is that Ryan Braun was taking prescription medication for herpes, which inadvertently resulted in the failed test. I have no idea whether there is any truth to this rumor, but if it's true it does explain a lot of the weirdness related to this saga, including why the players union is so peeved about the breach of confidentiality. I'm not sure whether a revelation that it was prescription rather than PED will matter much--after all, something was indeed in his system--but the gossip mill says that it might result in a 25-game suspension (or no suspension). Braun can't escape humiliation here, but there's a difference between being a patient and being a cheater. We'll know the truth soon enough.