So he got better since he died? These committees are stupid. He should've been in years ago.

Agreed. But he wasn't. So it's a good thing.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he might be changing his mind. According to one report "Ramirez is said to be "distraught" over the prospect of changing positions."

http://www.palmbeach...ns/2014239.html

I had a fear that Ramirez might react adversely.

In looking to make a splash, the Marlins might have brought the extreme discord into the clubhouse. If they do somehow manage to sign Pujols, maybe everybody gets on board.

The Marlins have a lot of good young talent (Ramirez, Stanton, Sanchez, Morrison)...hell, I'd take Sanchez at first for the Rangers.

In my opinion, they need to get some pitching help. Looks like Josh Johnson will be healthy this year.

Michael Young demanded a trade when told he would be moving positions this year, right?

I'm not worried at all about this. He'll play third. Not a doubt in my mind.

He's done it twice. Yet everybody forgets that when it comes time to lionize him for being such a great teammate. (I like Michael Young, by the way, I just think he gets too much credit sometimes.)

I am loving this Pujlos saga right now. It is funny to think that the Cubs are actaully in the debate. I think the only reason they are in it is to run up the price for the Cards.

Overall I think signing Pujlos is a risky move for any team. Not only will the contract be huge dollars 225 mill plus. But the years are outragous (10). He is offically listed as 31 years old, but I would bet he is closer to his mid 30's. We saw last year he started to break down and I think his best production is behind him.

Sure he is a great offensive player and will be in the short term, but if you team is not ready to win in the next 2 years signing Pujlos would be a waste of time and money. The cubs sure are not in a position to win for 5 years or so.

Also I wonder what kind of impact a new manager will have on Pujlos? He only has had one manager in the majors. I can't see him getting along with Ozzie (though I can see anyone getting along with Ozzie).

Anyway I love to watch it unfold. What we really need is a Labron James style ESPN special for Pujlos' announcement.

Michael Young demanded a trade when told he would be moving positions this year, right?

I'm not worried at all about this. He'll play third. Not a doubt in my mind.

And truth be told, Ramirez has the build for a third baseman.

If you really think about it from a baseball standpoint, the Cardinals could let Albert Pujols leave and not be hurt much by it. They have solid 3-4-5 hitters in Berkman, Holliday and Freese. With the money they're offering Pujols they could trade for David Wright, move Freese to 1B, his natural position, sign a starter like Buehrle, a decent reliever and a bench player. Signing anyone into their 40's is insane, especially for large money. The Cardinals should offer no more than 8 yeas, $25MM per and let Albert take the heat if he leaves. With both Freese and Berkman being capable of playing first, the Cards have a multitude of options at first, third, center and right to replace his production. They want Albert to stay, but they don't need him (or Fielder for that matter.) If they need anything it's middle infield help, but there's not a lot available for that - except possibly Hanley Ramirez.

Where are the Marlins getting the money?

I understand about the new stadium. (Although there may be some problems on the horizion with the financing). I understand that they haven't spent much in the past and (supposedly) have been squirreling money away. But they have already committed loads of cash in signing Reyes, Bell and Buerhle. (I haven't got the energy to add it all up).

Word is they are still pursuing Pujols AND Wilson.

You'd think they'd be done.

Holy crap. This will change the complexion of the NL East for years. If they don't win immediately, it will be armageddon in Miami.

Have they done enough to close the gap? They finished 30 games behind Phillie last year.

I thought there was a limit of 3 Type A free agent signings per team per season. Did that change?

I don't think there's a limit on how many you can sign. I think that limit is related to draft compensation for the FAs original team.

As for where the money is coming from, they haven't spent anything in recent years, and they're banking on competing immediately and putting the Dolphins permanently in third place in Miami's wallets. It's a big gamble, but they saw what a big splash did for the Heat .

Buerhle did himself good and should be a good signing for the Marlins.

He's going to give them 200+ innings, c. 30 starts and will be a good influence on Johnson.

Reyes I'm a bit more skeptical about.

The last three years he's missed a total of 191 games. He's only hit better than .300 once since his breakout year (2006).

He is a really good top of the order guy, but he's developed chronic hamstring problems.

If he stays healthy and plays 140+ games a year, he'll be worth the money.

If he plays 120, it becomes murkier.

He may be the straw that stirs the drink .

You mean the ones every team in baseball receives in some form or the other and which they all agreed to share?

Good point!

They were crying poor, given taxed revenue to compete, but didn't compete. The extended Ramirez and Johnson only when the other owners started crying foul about what the Marlins were doing with their tax rewards. The owners must have known something was amiss with the Marlins - they weren't complaining about the Rays, Royals, A's - just the Marlins. Now they're spending like a northeastern team? There's something fishy about those Marlins!

In other news, David Ortiz accepted arbitration, so Big Papi is staying in Boston for at least one more year. And K-Rod fucked the Brewers by also accepting arbitration. The former closer is now forcing the Brewers to pay him around $13MM to be a set-up man. They wanted the draft picks he was to bring. Now the Brew Crew will have to shell out about $5MM to trade him, if they can trade him.

absurd (imho). thank god it was not the cubs.

They extended Hanley a full two and a half years prior to the incident you are talking about, and had been involved in negotiations with Johnson on an extension for at least two months prior to it.

So, no, you're wrong.

do you not find it odd how much freaking money the marlins are spending?

(accidentally deleted this)

They extended Hanley a full two and a half years prior to the incident you are talking about, and had been involved in negotiations with Johnson on an extension for at least two months prior to it.

So, no, you're wrong.

-----

It's a little bit odd, however they will have, for the first time since Wayne Huizenga sold the team, stadium revenue to put towards a team. In the old park, the received revenues from tickets sold and that's all. Now, they get parking, concessions, and whatever else is involved.

So, no, it's nor particularly troubling. It makes perfect sense, if you view it as a one-time gamble that they can make Miami into a real baseball town. they have a lot of cost-controlled, young talent to supplement these big contracts, and are gambling that they can put together a winner and see if Miami will support it.

So, when viewed from that angle, it makes perfect sense. They're pushing their chips all in for one opportunity to see if the market will sustain a consistent big spending MLB franchise.

(accidentally deleted this)

So, no, you're wrong.

-----

It's a little bit odd, however they will have, for the first time since Wayne Huizenga sold the team, stadium revenue to put towards a team. In the old park, the received revenues from tickets sold and that's all. Now, they get parking, concessions, and whatever else is involved.

So, no, it's nor particularly troubling. It makes perfect sense, if you view it as a one-time gamble that they can make Miami into a real baseball town. they have a lot of cost-controlled, young talent to supplement these big contracts, and are gambling that they can put together a winner and see if Miami will support it.

So, when viewed from that angle, it makes perfect sense. They're pushing their chips all in for one opportunity to see if the market will sustain a consistent big spending MLB franchise.

understood. the last time the cubs started shoving chips into the pot, we won alfonso soriano and carlos zambrano with a little bit of milton bradley.

good luck.