• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Stros to join the AL West. The one thing my M's had going for them, was they only had 3 other teams in their division. Damn. Edit: Although, it now appears that they'll add an additional Wild Card team to each league, so...hope springs eternal.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7246443/houston-astros-sale-approved-mlb

Sveum, I like what I am hearing but know little about him.

it may take a while to find a jingle as catchy as "in dusty we trusty."

and the marlins unis are sad.

I know Sveum from Milwaukee. But it is an underwhelming pick as a manger. I would have thought Theo would have wanted to make a splash with his first major move as the head of the Cubs. Either with a Cubs guy (Ryno, Brenley, Stone, etc.); or a legacy (Francona). I think every Cub's secret hope was Mike Maddux as Manager, Ryno as bench coach and Greg Maddux as Pitching coach.

Is Sveum a step up from Quade, probably. Does he fill me with passion about the Cubs and make me excited, no.

Was Bob Brenley a serious candidate? Why would anyone want to hire him?

I don't know how serious of a candidate he was, but I had heard his name bannied around. He has won a World Series, and he knows the Cubs, extremely well. I really like him, he is smart guy, he really knows his baseball. He has also made it known that he wants to manage again.

I know Sveum from Milwaukee. But it is an underwhelming pick as a manger. I would have thought Theo would have wanted to make a splash with his first major move as the head of the Cubs. Either with a Cubs guy (Ryno, Brenley, Stone, etc.); or a legacy (Francona). I think every Cub's secret hope was Mike Maddux as Manager, Ryno as bench coach and Greg Maddux as Pitching coach.

Is Sveum a step up from Quade, probably. Does he fill me with passion about the Cubs and make me excited, no.

steve stone as manager? sveum works for me. my days of passion-filed manager selections are gone. i know just want to win.

Sveum was the third base coach for BOS in the 2004-05 season and was notorious for sending players home even when it was pretty apparent they would be thrown out at the plate.

awesome.

did he eat fried chicken in late innings?

steve stone as manager? sveum works for me. my days of passion-filed manager selections are gone. i know just want to win.

Stoney was a name I heard more then once on some Cub Forums. It never was gonna happen, but an interesting name nonetheless. Sveum is a guy that most Cub fans know little about. He is not a flashy big name. Hell I don't even know if he can win, or can handle the pressures of Chicago. I just have a feeling of meh.

Heh, heh, heh. Bobby V is in Boston.

Heh, heh, heh

Heh, heh, heh. Bobby V is in Boston.

Heh, heh, heh

I had a feeling from the beginning it would come down to that. I don't really care if he manages again, but I'd rather he didn't go to high-profile jobs so I didn't to hear him all the time.

And Steve Stone hasn't been in a dugout in 30 years. He'd last about 6 weeks as a manager.

I have been a Red Sox fan for 37 years. For me, Bobby Valentine is very, very hard to like. I have a hard time respecting an organization that would hire him because I have so little respect for him. I am actively looking for a team to support for the next few years (months?) while he is the Red Sox manager. Maybe the Pirates? Indians? Nationals?

I have been a Red Sox fan for 37 years. For me, Bobby Valentine is very, very hard to like. I have a hard time respecting an organization that would hire him because I have so little respect for him. I am actively looking for a team to support for the next few years (months?) while he is the Red Sox manager. Maybe the Pirates? Indians? Nationals?

I've been a SOx fan equally as long (longer) and don't really get where you're coming from. You would actually stop "liking" the Sox if Valentine were to become manager? Whatever your beef with Valentine is (lack of respect due to what?), he's still just a piece of the puzzle. You'd disregard the organization simply because they thought he'd be the best fit at this time? Yoinks.

If you don't mind me saying so, and all apologies due are pre-extended, but this is a pretty stupid attitude to take.

The fact that they were miserable losers for 30 of the years you followed them and they were continually at best second to the Yankees didn't bother you but hiring Bobby V to manage was the last straw?

But that being saied and done...the Rangers are always looking for t-shirt fans. (The team I have followed since 1972 has lately been fairly successful, but they are getting into epic fail territory.)

The voices in my head said lately, but the fingers didn't comply.

Now back to the hating on Bobby V

Edited by Crow Daddy Magnus®

If you don't mind me saying so, and all apologies due are pre-extended, but this is a pretty stupid attitude to take.

The fact that they were miserable losers for 30 of the years you followed them and they were continually at best second to the Yankees didn't bother you but hiring Bobby V to manage was the last straw?

But that being saied and done...the Rangers are always looking for t-shirt fans. (The team I have followed since 1972 has lately been fairly successful, but they are getting into epic fail territory.)

Huh?

Huh?

Huh?

But that being said and done...the Rangers are always looking for t-shirt fans. (The team I have followed since 1972 has lately been fairly successful lately, but they are getting into epic fail territory.)

Forgot the lately. Good God did it need the lately.

he does not like bobby v.

has nothing to do with the fact that, due to recent success, you are pretending as if you were a life-long rangers fan.

Wel Mr. Rareair,I especially like the 'pretending as if you were a life-long rangers fan' part. (Although I now understand the confusion I caused by not putting in the adverb)

Not that I have to defend myself to you or anybody else, I don't particularly like the tone. (Although I fully understand it given my clumbsy writing)

I'm 51 years old. I've lived in Texas for all 51 of those years. I was 11 years old in April 1971 when the Rangers played their first game in the old turnpike stadium. Why is it hard to believe I've been a Rangers fan for years? (Again the omission of that pesky 'lately')

I suffered through years and years of mediocre, at best, baseball. I had my hopes raised in 1974, 1977, 1978. I saw this franchise continually send away their best prospects for a pocket full of change (Ron Darling and Walt Terrell for LEE FREAKIN MAZZILLI?!) l saw Bobby V take a bunch of youngsters, spare parts, bailing wire and bubble gum and make thinGs interesting for a couple of years.

There were good years in the mid to late 90's, but it has been very slim pickings for most of this Century.

And by the way, Mike Maddox (the pitching coach of the team,whom accoring to you I band wagoned ((again...I don't blame anybody but myself for the confusion))) didn't even want to interview in Boston. The problems in Beantown appear to be a bit bigger than bringing in an eccentric, egotistical manager.

Just saying...

(I'm sure I have just been added to the ignore list of more than a few readers after this trainwreck)

Braun the NL MVP. Good job. Though I could put decent numbers batting in front of Fielder. Wonders what he will do next year.

I wonder if he'll blossom like Barry Bonds did when Bobby Bonilla left the Pirates?