Now Playing: April, 2011

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How's this one (that's supposed to be the Richard Lloyd)? I saw him twice touring on it. First time was good, second time was mind-boggling.

The reason that i bought it in the first place it because I interviewed Lloyd back in 1992, and he told me (parts of) the story that he gets into more deeply in the liner notes; about getting decked by Hendrix one drunken night. I saw it as fate, that I must own this record.

That said, it's solid. At first listen, it sounded a little too close to the originals -- some of his vocal inflections and whatnot. But, on a second listen, I think that I'm digging it more. Of course, the guitar playing is phenomenal. But, well, just I think it's a grower. If you have any interest in it at all, it's worth picking up.

Awful album cover, though. One of the worst that I've ever seen.

The reason that i bought it in the first place it because I interviewed Lloyd back in 1992, and he told me (parts of) the story that he gets into more deeply in the liner notes; about getting decked by Hendrix one drunken night. I saw it as fate, that I must own this record.

That said, it's solid. At first listen, it sounded a little too close to the originals -- some of his vocal inflections and whatnot. But, on a second listen, I think that I'm digging it more. Of course, the guitar playing is phenomenal. But, well, just I think it's a grower. If you have any interest in it at all, it's worth picking up.

Awful album cover, though. One of the worst that I've ever seen.

Yeah, just awful. A terrible concept to begin with, and poorly executed to boot. :lol He had another album on his merch table with an almost as bad cover.

His vocals aren't any good live, and when talking to the audience, he comes across as someone in a severely fragile mental state, but his (and Billy Ficca's) playing was pure magic. An old, beat up strat straight into old beat up amp, no effects at all, but he was able to get every sound he needed.

I got to talk to Billy after the show for a few minutes. Super nice guy.

Yeah, just awful. A terrible concept to begin with, and poorly executed to boot. :lol He had another album on his merch table with an almost as bad cover.

His vocals aren't any good live, and when talking to the audience, he comes across as someone in a severely fragile mental state, but his (and Billy Ficca's) playing was pure magic. I got to talk to Billy after the show for a few minutes. Super nice guy.

I don't remember the mental state thing from my conversation with him, but I do remember a very, very, VERY thick Brooklyn accent. (Or was it Bronx?) Either way it was tough to understand him, at times. But yeah, I guess that he seemed a little distant, or at least defensive. Still, a good interview.

And an insanely great guitar player. (As Ficca is a much better drummer than he gets credit for.)

51y8NPzs2NL._SS500_.jpg

It's streaming right now. Happy to say it's their best work since TINLTL.

Cool, just found the stream and I'm checking it out now. I like the heaviness of it so far, glad they got Butch Vig for this one.

^^ super New Order-ish, but i surprisingly dig that album.

As I listen to Cold Cave's Cherish The Light Years more often, I've discovered that they sound more like a melodic Crystal Castles meets New Order. The Great Pan Is Dead is pretty amazing and makes me think that metal should carefully read pages 1 to the references page: that entire beautiful song reminds me of metal, NIN, and A Place To Bury Strangers.

I liked it: now, it's slowly ascending my list.

weeknd_2.jpg

31z1mlsHDEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This album is so great...

Agreed. Disappointed that in a forum so heavily alternative-singer/songwriter-favored, despite the direction of his evolving band, that The Mountain Goats receive little praise. High Hawk Season is amazing.

np: LCD Soundsystem - The Final Show [streaming NAO]

Agreed. Disappointed that in a forum so heavily alternative-singer/songwriter-favored, despite the direction of his evolving band, that The Mountain Goats receive little praise. High Hawk Season is amazing.

np: LCD Soundsystem - The Final Show [streaming NAO]

I'm not surprised at all: it's seems John's voice pretty much makes or breaks one's enjoyment of his music. I've found that more people dislike his voice rather than like it...Like when I'm pretty sure that TMG are right up someone's alley and suggest it to them, they're turned off. They seem to be the ultimate discerning taste band...