Two Questions

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I had heard bits and pieces of both Being There and Summerteeth while in college in 1997..then someone bought my girlfriend Mermaid Ave as a gift right when it came out. We liked it but only listened to it a few times..then I read all about YHF..and bought it a few weeks after release based on all the great reviews..bought the rest of their catalog within a month.

Saw them live at the Carefree Theater in Florida during the YHF tour...they played inside a movie theater and we were in the 4th row...pretty much was sold after that. I've seen them 4 times total.

Nice I was at the show as well......great show.

I'd say about 8 years ago I'd read enough about em so I decided to pick up an album. Bought Being There, listened to a the first several tracks and decided it wasn't for me. Bought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a few years later and really liked what they were doing, but nothing in particular hooked me. Heard Wilco(The Song) and liked it a couple years ago and got the album. I thought it was ok, but my wife really enjoyed the whole album, then I just started liking the whole album one song at a time. First was Deeper Down, then Sunny Feeling and so on and so on. I sat on that for awhile til one day it dawned on me to dig those cd's out and at least get em in the car for that moment when the Wilco mood hit...wasn't long before YHT was stuck in the cd player for a long stretch. Since then I've acquired their whole catalog for my ipod with plans on getting all the vinyl, of which i only have The ALbum and YHT.

I'll be seeing them for the 1st time on the upcoming tour in St Louis.

1.) A buddy of mine turned me on to Wilco via a cassette tape of the epic Jeff Tweedy solo show from The Lounge Ax, 3/26/98. This was in early 1999. I found myself going back to the tape often, even though it had some songs with very weird, oblique lyrics, like She's A Jar and Via Chicago. The songs were solid, and the guy was clearly a pretty compelling performer. (Classic banter moment - Audience Member: You rule! JT: I wouldn't be up here if I didn't know that. It's a problem.)

2.) Later that year, I heard on my local community radio station that they were giving away 2 tickets to an upcoming Wilco show to anyone who could call in with Jeff Tweedy's correct age. By then, I had acquired Mermaid Ave., I believe. Anyway, I knew Jeff was only a year or two younger than me, so I called in with a guess. I got through, but guessed wrong. I tried again, and got through a second time, but still guessed wrong. On my third try, amazingly, I got through again, and this time had the right guess!

I called up my buddy and the two of us went to my very first Wilco show, for free, on 8/31/99 at Jannus Landing in St. Pete, FL. A Shot In The Arm and Misunderstood were played back to back, and totally blew my mind.

http://wilcobase.com/event.php?event_key=631

1.) A buddy of mine turned me on to Wilco via a cassette tape of the epic Jeff Tweedy solo show from The Lounge Ax, 3/26/98. This was in early 1999. I found myself going back to the tape often, even though it had some songs with very weird, oblique lyrics, like She's A Jar and Via Chicago. The songs were solid, and the guy was clearly a pretty compelling performer. (Classic banter moment - Audience Member: You rule! JT: I wouldn't be up here if I didn't know that. It's a problem.)

2.) Later that year, I heard on my local community radio station that they were giving away 2 tickets to an upcoming Wilco show to anyone who could call in with Jeff Tweedy's correct age. By then, I had acquired Mermaid Ave., I believe. Anyway, I knew Jeff was only a year or two younger than me, so I called in with a guess. I got through, but guessed wrong. I tried again, and got through a second time, but still guessed wrong. On my third try, amazingly, I got through again, and this time had the right guess!

I called up my buddy and the two of us went to my very first Wilco show, for free, on 8/31/99 at Jannus Landing in St. Pete, FL. A Shot In The Arm and Misunderstood were played back to back, and totally blew my mind.

http://wilcobase.com...p?event_key=631

That 1998 Lounge Axe show is one of my favorites. What a great story -- there must not have been too many other callers if you were able to get in 3x and still win!

Seems that many of us folk here fell in love with Summerteeth and/or during the following tour.

1) November 13, 1999 - Town Hall, NYC

2) November 13, 1999 - Town Hall, NYC

Via Chicago > Candyfloss, I believe started it off. Nothing like hearing great music for the first time, live.

Anyway, I knew Jeff was only a year or two younger than me, so I called in with a guess. I got through, but guessed wrong. I tried again, and got through a second time, but still guessed wrong. On my third try, amazingly, I got through again, and this time had the right guess

Oh, the days before google. What do radio stations do now?

1. In the mid 90's when I was in law school, I was a big fan of a certain radio show on the local college's student radio station that played alt- and traditional country tunes. They played Box Full of Letters just about every week for about 3 months in a row and I fell in love with that song. I bought AM, loved it from the first listen, and have been a fan since.

2. First show was Kalamazoo State Theater in 2004 I think (the winter aGIB tour) . . . and it blew me away. That was the tour with the video screen and they opened the show with Via Chicago. Talk about starting the night off on the right foot.

1. Hmmm. I know you won't mention my college (considering where you went to undergrad) but "Box Full Of Letters" was in pretty heavy rotation on WDBM in the mid 90's and I'm sure got tons of play on "Progressive Torch and Twang". That's where I got into Wilco.

2. First show. The now defunct Michigan Festival in August of 1997. I think after that, I pretty much bought all their stuff.

1. Hmmm. I know you won't mention my college (considering where you went to undergrad) but "Box Full Of Letters" was in pretty heavy rotation on WDBM in the mid 90's and I'm sure got tons of play on "Progressive Torch and Twang". That's where I got into Wilco.

2. First show. The now defunct Michigan Festival in August of 1997. I think after that, I pretty much bought all their stuff.

Well, everyone else in my family went there, so I it isn't that bad a college, but since you mentioned PT&T, I loved that show and thought the hostess had the greatest voice ever! :wub

1) My cousin lent me Summerteeth and Being There around the time Sky Blue Sky came out. Since then I haven't listened to much else.

2) Scranton, PA 3/31/2010. Jeff played a guitar solo standing with one foot waving in the air and ended up biting his guitar later on that night. I hadn't bought Kicking Television or looked up any live performances of Misunderstood yet and was completely blown away after hearing "nothin'!" shouted over and over again. It was amazing! Sadly, I don't think that show was ever taped...

I hadn't bought Kicking Television or looked up any live performances of Misunderstood yet and was completely blown away after hearing "nothin'!" shouted over and over again. It was amazing!

I had to smile at this. My friend brought her family along to Solid Sound this year, and her husband was just barely familiar with Wilco before the weekend. Now he's become a convert, largely because of Misunderstood, I think. He just could not stop talking about the "Nothin'"s for days after the show. Every time I talk to him, he starts out the conversation with "NOTHIN'! NOTHIN'! NOTHIN'!" It's really funny what hooks somebody.

1. My older brother brought home AM one day.

2. First show was in Springfield, MO in 2006 when the freak jumped up on stage.

Wow, what a weird and atypical first show you got! I was there too. If the band had tossed that fool into the audience, I think we'd have happily torn the guy limb from limb. Or at least stretched his limbs painfully and then maybe seriously duct-taped him to a wall or something. What a total ass.

Oh, and welcome to Via Chicago! :wave

1. A huge fan of Billy Bragg throughout the 80's and 90's, anything he recorded I had to have. When Mermaid Avenue came out I was thrilled that Bragg had made the connection to the Woody Guthrie lyrics, but it only took one listen to become a huge fan of Wilco. Quickly bought AM and Being There. The summer of 99 will always be the summer that a suburban Toronto dad with three kids always had Summerteeth playing in the family van.

2. First show was as an opening act for REM at the Molson Amphitheatre at Ontario Place. I am going to have to research the date. Guessing 2000 or 01. I remember my wife turning to me at the end of the Wilco set and saying we just have to see them in a better venue one day. Would two Solid Sounds under our belts mean her demand has been met?

2. First show was as an opening act for REM at the Molson Amphitheatre at Ontario Place. I am going to have to research the date. Guessing 2000 or 01. I remember my wife turning to me at the end of the Wilco set and saying we just have to see them in a better venue one day. Would two Solid Sounds under our belts mean her demand has been met?

http://wilcobase.com...p?event_key=626 It looks like it was in 1999, a few days after my first Wilco show.

Wow, what a weird and atypical first show you got! I was there too. If the band had tossed that fool into the audience, I think we'd have happily torn the guy limb from limb. Or at least stretched his limbs painfully and then maybe seriously duct-taped him to a wall or something. What a total ass.

Oh, and welcome to Via Chicago! :wave

Thanks.

I usually like to read the forum to get news/links, etc. I thought this was a good topic to post on.

I must point out that the children in the family van in 99 were 9,7 and 3 years of age. They are now 21, days away from 19 and 15. All three full Wilco fans. They had no choice truly, between environment and dna...

My kid will be 2 next month and he has already been to one Wilco show and a Tweedy solo show - Gotta start em off young (plus it's sometimes tough to find a baby sitter :D .)

That is great that you guys are passing on the love to your kids! I'm working on mine. My husband recorded Wilco at Farm Aid from TV and it's still on the DVR. My husband's not much of a fan but is willing to humor my obsession now and then. Once in awhile we'll play it and the kids dance to Hoodoo Voodoo. The rest of that show they're not so enthused about, yet.

We listen to Wiggleworm Dads on CD in the car sometimes, and they have requested it more than once. No wild Wilco or Tweedy enthusiasm yet, though.

I'll keep working on them.

I'm patient.

1) I "married in" - my husband was quite shocked and upset that I hadn't heard of them before - this was when we first started dating in 1999. He first heard of them through a friend and a little known concert they did at Marble Mountain in Newfoundland in the late 90's. I continue to campaign for Wilco's return to the Rock!

2) I really never like to talk about my first Wilco concert because it never happened. After hearing them for years in the background, in the car etc... I really began to take a liking to their music (so much so, if you read previous posts, my husband was like - you need to find a new band.) Anyhow, they came to Edmonton for the first time (?) in 2005. My daughter was not quite yet 2, but already quite the little Wilco fan. We had the tickets purchased and the baby-sitter arranged and were really looking forward to that rare night out to ourselves - when the baby-sitter cancelled at the last minute. (For the record, and not to get her in trouble, it was my s-i-l, and one of her kids had gotten sick... ) Since, we didn't feel comfortable leaving our daughter with anyone else, I graciously told my husband to give my ticket to his other brother (who ended up having his very first concert experience) as long as he didn't tell me any details. Here is the kicker - I was three weeks pregnant with my second child (a boy) when this transpired. I wasn't experiencing any physical symptoms that early in the pregnancy, just full-blown emotions. I would cry at the drop of a hat! So when I gave my brother-in-law my ticket the tears were just streaming down my face. I couldn't even talk about the whole thing until about 3 years afterwards (without crying) - damn hormones. What didn't help is that when my husband got home that night I told him that he had better say that it was the worst concert he had ever been to - but alas - it was one of the best... could've killed him... What did help was taking my daughter, then 5 and a half, to her first Wilco concert last Feb - front row center seats and having Jeff mentioning that this was their third time playing in Edmonton and that we were now bringing pint sized people to the show (I just assume he was talking about my daughter and not me...) My husband, the same brother and a co-worker of his ended up back in row k. BURN!!

1) I "married in" - my husband was quite shocked and upset that I hadn't heard of them before - this was when we first started dating in 1999. He first heard of them through a friend and a little known concert they did at Marble Mountain in Newfoundland in the late 90's. I continue to campaign for Wilco's return to the Rock!

I believe that's this clip. There are others on YouTube. Some of THE BEST early footage of the band.