Two Questions

1. When was the first time that you heard Wilco's music?

2. When was the first time you saw Wilco in concert?

I'll start:

1. I first heard A.M. when a co-worker brought the CD in to the NYC restaurant where we worked to play for the lunch crowd.

2. My boyfriend at the time was from Chicago so we went for a visit during the Taste of Chicago in 1996. Paul Westerberg was playing for free at the bandshell in Grant Park and Wilco was playing right before him. Since I had heard A.M. at work, we decided to go early to check them out. There were only about 50 people in the crowd that day. We got engaged that weekend and have been Wilco fans (and happily married) ever since.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start:

1. I first heard A.M. when a co-worker brought the CD in to the NYC restaurant where we worked to play for the lunch crowd.

2. My boyfriend at the time was from Chicago so we went for a visit during the Taste of Chicago in 1996. Paul Westerberg was playing for free at the bandshell in Grant Park and Wilco was playing right before him. Since I had heard A.M. at work, we decided to go early to check them out. There were only about 50 people in the crowd that day. We got engaged that weekend and have been Wilco fans (and happily married) ever since.

1. I first heard A.M. when a co-worker brought the CD in to the NYC Atlanta restaurant where we worked to play for the lunch crowd.

2. Flew to Kansas City, rented a car, drove to Iowa. Saw them at the Val Air Ballroom in Des Moines. Opening act was Carla Bozulich's Red Headed Stranger (w/ Nels on guitar). Fantastic show!

i had to think for a few minutes on how i came across wilco...

1. i first heard wilco when i cold bought yhf from a columbia music club thingamajig. loved it instantly. this was in 2004, and so after yhf spent months in my cd player, i went directly to agib. also loved it instantly. then i worked my way around their catalog slowly over the next couple of years.

2. i first saw wilco in 2006 when they came to the tennessee theatre. i had fifth row seats. i've since seen either them or tweedy solo 12 times since...and hoping to add two more to that when they do two nights in nashville at the ryman.

1. I first heard "She's a Jar" when I was in fifth grade on our local alternative radio station. It didn't sound like all the grunge and alt rock they were playing at the time. I was still not musically mature enough to appreciate it, but it remained in the back of my mind. I bought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in the beginning of 2003 after a Amazon showed them in the similar artists category. Needless to say my life hasn't quite been the same since.

2. I saw them in 2005 at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center. They are the only band I've ever seen come out for two encores. Needless to say I was stunned. Tried to see them two years later, but the tickets were way out of my price range and they moved their date back to play SNL that night.

I first heard Wilco when I saw them at Greenville Municipal Stadium in Greenville, SC (former home of The Greenville Braves minor league team) in 1997 (still touring for Being There I believe). They were playing along with other country and rock acts. The closer was Gov't Mule.

Wilco blew all of the other acts off the stage.. I remember thinking Jay was so cool, playing keys and guitar, cig hanging out of his mouth the whole time.

1. Bought AM shortly after it came out. I thought it was alright, but nothing special. It wasn't until Being There that the band clicked for me.

2. Going by WilcoBase I first saw Wilco June 20, 2003.

1)I was a huge Tupelo fan, and I bought A.M the day it came out. (I also bought Trace by Son Volt the day it came out. To be fair I thought Son Volt was the better band until I heard Being There. Being There changed my perspective about Wilco, and Summerteeth confirmed my belief.)

2) I first saw Wilco in Raleigh, NC in 1995 on the Lollapalooza(I realized it was actually HORDE after reading this thread. Oh, how time and alcohol have eroded my memory) tour. (However, Asheville 2003 at the Orange Peel is the best show I have seen the band play).

1. Believe it or not, I had never heard Wilco until they appeared on "Austin City Limits" right after SBS came out. Was flipping through the channels and the first notes of their first song (I Am Your Face) made me stop. I knew after a couple songs that it was the best band I had ever heard. Kept trying to wake up the hubby (who was napping) saying "You've got to hear this!" That didn't work, he kept falling back asleep. :D Researched them on line that night (couldn't believe they were originally from STL)and bought SBS the next morning. I have been obsessed ever since. ;)

2. Went to the Friday night show at the Pageant in STL in 2008. Later downloaded that show from Owl & Bear and it has been in constant rotation in my car ever since. Just an amazing recording. Talked the hubby into two "Wilcations" since to Indianapolis and Red Rocks.

1. I was killing time looking for some new tunes in a Best Buy in Arlington Texas. I'm guessing it was in April 1995. Best Buy used to have stations in the CD section where you could listen to selected new releases. I had heard of Uncle Tupelo but really didn't know where to start, so I had never picked up a CD by them. The little Bio Blurb on the audition stand said that infamous bio opener "Rising from the ashes of Uncle Tupelo...". So I listened to a few seconds of I Must be High and the rest, as they say, is history.

2. I did't go to very many of any kind for a number of years, the only exception being when Bruce Springsteen came throught town. I got my son into Wilco as he began to develop interest in music, so when Wilco hit the Paladium in September of 2007, I hauled the 13-year old D-man down to the show and had the time of my life.

1)...(I also bought Trace by Son Volt the day it came out. To be fair I thought Son Volt was the better band until I heard Being There. Being There changed my perspective about Wilco, and Summerteeth confirmed my belief.)...

This

1. I can't really remember other than I was very aware of them and always liked them but I did not start getting into them in a big way until Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I remember seeing them early on, must have been around the time of A.M.on some late night show. Not sure why I didn't investigate further because they stuck with me. Our band played Outtasite right after it came out but I still didn't go all in until later. Seems strange to be now.

2. First show was in 2002 in Denver and I was blown away completely and hooked ever since.

1. I first heard/saw Wilco when they were on that VH1 Hard Rock Live show back in the late '90's. I didn't actually watch the show. I just remember seeing clips. I had no interest in them at the time.

2. October 19, 2007 in Pittsburgh.

I finally became a Wilco fan in 2005. I was on a huge Ryan Adams kick for about 6 months straight - listening to very little else. I was afraid of burning out on him, so I consulted my amazon.com recommendations to find something else to listen to. The first album I purchased was Kicking Television and it kinda changed my life (musically, anyway).

Love this.

That's great that our first time hearing them is so similar.

I remember it quite vividly. I have an almost photographic memory of bussing tables while Box Full of Letters played.

1. Bought "Being There" after Wilco came up in a similar artists listing. Then A.M., Summerteeth and Mermaid Avenue Vol. 1 a few days later, then KT, YHF and AGIB the next week or so. It all happened in a matter of weeks. This was in 2005.

2. Saw Jeff Tweedy first in 2006, Rococo Theatre, Lincoln, NE. My girlfriend (now wife) and I drove from Kansas City for the show. Two months later Wilco played the Uptown Theatre in KC.

1) Having been a fan of Uncle Tupelo and actually got to see them once I too bought the first Wilco and Son Volt cd's when they came out, and I too thought Son Volt was the better band at first (until Being There).

2) I actully saw Son Volt a few times before Wilco, my first Wilco show was on the Being There tour when they opened for Sheryl Crow, 7/31/1997, which was the first time they came to Connecticut. The show was awesome, and there was maybe 30 people in the room, most of the people were drinking in the lobby.

1. After reading reviews of AM and Trace (did they have co-reviews in Rolling Stone?) I bought them both. I thought it was kinda like Bob & Grant after the breakup of Husker Du. Nothing nearly that angry on the CDs. I liked 'em both and seem to be in the minority who liked AM better (though Drown was the best song on either CD).

2. Saw them at Val Air Ballroom in West Des Moines, IA 9/17/2003. One of only three shows I've seen, but glad to say one of them was the 2008 Winter Residency night #2.

1. Bonnaroo 2009

2. Bonnaroo 2009

I had heard of Wilco prior to this, and i remember that Impossible Germany sounded familiar when they played it, but had never listened to Wilco before seeing them at Bonnaroo. I knew my dad was a fan (though before bonnaroo, he hadn't seen them since Irving Plaza in '97), but since that Bonnaroo we've both been hooked completely, and saw them another two times before 2009 was over (Dutchuess stadium 7/18 and UIC pavillion 10/18) and another 3 times in 2010 (2 nights at the Wellmont and Solid Sound).

1. I was working as a DJ at my small liberal arts college radio station during my freshman year in 1993/94. We played Uncle Tupelo's "Long Cut plus 5 live" promo ep on pretty heavy rotation. After hearing it and loving it I was crushed when I learned that band had broken up before I got a chance to see them. Bought A.M. (as well as Trace) as soon as it came out.

2. First show was Nov. 4, 1999 at the Buskirk-Chumley Community Theater in Bloomington, Indiana. Seating capacity

2. Saw them at Val Air Ballroom in West Des Moines, IA 9/17/2003. One of only three shows I've seen, but glad to say one of them was the 2008 Winter Residency night #2.

I know they've played Val Air more than once, but I'm pretty sure that's the show I saw. What an amazing place to see a show!

I'd say it was early '99 when I learned of a certain Woody Guthrie project. I sought it out and found Mermaid Ave. at Curcuit City. I was intigued by the sound and style of the album, but wasn't sure whose influences dominated: Wilco's?; Bragg's?; Guthrie's? I went back to that store and found Being There behind the "other W's artists" tab. I was hooked on Wilco on the first listen of Misunderstood's intro and galvanized by the first line. I finally found what I'd really been looking for all those years.

I passed up an opportunity to see them a few months later because I didn't want to extend my vacation out a day longer due to driving concerns. I actually didn't see Wilco unti Sept. '04 in Raleigh. Why I waited so long (other than I hate drunken crowds) is beyond me.

1) I think my roommate had a copy of AM soon after it came out. I just remember it being part of the soundtrack of the summer of 1995. I bought my own copy after we moved out.

2) 1998 - The Guinness Fleadh concert in Arlington Park, IL. Great day of live music that included: Wilco, Los Lobos, Squeeze, X, Shane Macgowan, and Richard Thompson.

1. I was working as a DJ at my small liberal arts college radio station during my freshman year in 1993/94. We played Uncle Tupelo's "Long Cut plus 5 live" promo ep on pretty heavy rotation. After hearing it and loving it I was crushed when I learned that band had broken up before I got a chance to see them. Bought A.M. (as well as Trace) as soon as it came out.

2. First show was Nov. 4, 1999 at the Buskirk-Chumley Community Theater in Bloomington, Indiana. Seating capacity

What, no Leroy? I'd have loved to have seen a show with that lineup...that's pretty rare.