as annoying as the whole multi-package presale thing is (and $17 to ship a record to washington state is insane, amazon does it regularly with hard cardboard packaging for 3-4 bucks), i think it's probably less wilco getting up to "usual" record-company games and more just an acknowledgment of the reality of today's music business. most fans (though probably not most of us on this board) are going to buy music in general (and wilco music in particular) in digital format. wilco seems to be acknowledging this by making ALL the bonus tracks available through iTunes with an album purchase. if you're a "normal" music-listener, you don't have to double-dip at all to get all the tracks, and the tracks are all you really want in the first place.

if you're the rare fan that wants more than just the music, the CD gives you nice packaging and a booklet which will likely have neat, memorabilia-y stuff in it. likewise, the LP gives you audiophile sound and all the other aesthetic goodies that come with buying an LP.

sure, you miss out on some tracks with either of these "hard" media methods, but to add the bonus songs to the LP would mean making it a three-LP package, thus raising the price. i mean, i don't know the track times of each of the tracks, but i doubt you could have 17 or 18 tracks and fit it all on 2 LPs. the only thing that sort of annoys me is the fact that the bonus CD is missing ONE bonus track (the one from the LP). why not slap that sucker on there? i dunno.

i guess what i'm getting at, though, is that if all you want is the music, the cheap option to get it all is there on iTunes. the fact that we're all (me included) complaining about double-dipping via the other options is probably just an indication that we're members of a small, obsessive part of wilco's fanbase that probably doesn't account for a large percentage of their music sales.

just my 2 cents (plus $25 for shipping).

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup - all valid points. When I said 'just the music' I meant a hard copy of some kind rather than digital - old enough to be stuck in my ways. Just grates with me and always will.

I also would like "just the music" If Wilco wants to deliver a bicycle to me that would be awesome but my ideal package would include the vinyl and a download with all the extras included. It looks like I'll fall into the most redundant consumer category with the vinyl, a regular cd, an extras cd, and a download and 9 digital copies of "I Might".

(and $17 to ship a record to washington state is insane)

i'm not clear on why it's $17 or $25 shipping for you guys, when i only paid $13 for ups ground shipping all my stuff. Three yo yo's, a lady's tee, and the whole bundle. If i buy 137 bucks worth of stuff in a physical store here in Texas i pay $11.30 in tax. The way i look at it is, shipping is only a buck seventy. What are you guys paying for, over night shipping?

The whole bundle shipping cost $ 31.28 to Sweden and then you get the tax for a country outside the EU. I really have to think about this one. i wished they would sell this from the UK shop as well (together with the wilco vinyl transport case). the shipping from Kungfu is killing me......

Going to just download the ITunes Deluxe and if I really like the album i will pick up the Vinyl. I didn't buy Wilco (the album) on vinyl either and am very happy about that.

That way I'll hear all the tracks and won't have to worry about all this package crap

I pre-ordered the LP form Kung Fu with shipping of $19 to Ireland. Cancelled it and ordered it from Amazon for $6 shipping, $30 in total.

Very disappointing to see Wilco fleece their fans with these various LP/CD/deluxe CD versions, if they're at this game then I really don't care where I get the record from.

How can something so simple get so f**&&*(( up.

Sell the same exact thing on vinyl, cd, mp3

release a freaking ep with extras a few months later

forget all of this marketing crap (which i fall for) and lets go back to the old days where nobody cared about Wilco except for rock critics.

I'm serious, the one thing that consistently gets in the way of my overwhelming love for my favorite band (wilco) is this Wilco (The Brand). It starts feeling like Dave Matthews at times. A record just becomes a reason to promote the endless tour and tshirt campaign.

At the end of the day, most Wilco fans are about the tunes. Don't make it a freakin scavenger hunt to find the tunes. If I buy this on vinyl (which the band likely prefers at the best listening experience) then why should I have to go purchase the record again to get extra tracks and pictures and etc. ?

Boy we can all screw stuff up can't we!

Just a tad annoyed

Guest Speed Racer

I thought "fixed speed" was their hoity-toity way of saying "fixed gear," but it appears to be that it is their hoity-toity way of saying, "single speed."

Personally I am only interested in the music not all the merchandising fluff that makes up packages around it, and I resent having to double up on purchases just to get odd tracks. I thought that dBpm might make a break and play it straight down the line, but looks like they're up to the usual record company games. That said, purchases in the past have allowed access to download extra content later, so hopefully the same might apply here (not sure what happened with W(TA) since I sort of ignored most of that).

All "art fighting the evil corporation" naiveté aside, money make the world go round, and Jeff has kids to feed. The music is the most important aspect of it all, that goes without saying, but the entire appeal of buying the merchandise is for the sake of collection and showing everyone you're a fan of these wonderful artists. Playing a record is best when you can hold the case in your hands and explore pages containing info about the recording process, lyrics printed to give you a possible insight in the the creator's mind, and artwork to admire.

Guest Speed Racer

I don't know if you've noticed, but the band (or Jeff at least) is not wanting for money. That was an issue in 1997, 1999, even 2001 perhaps, but I think they're doing alright these days.

Guest Speed Racer

If I win this bike, how much do you think I could sell it for?

$400-$600 on Craigslist (you live near ATL, right?), but I'd post it for $700 first week out just to see. More on eBay, but then you'd have to deal with shipping a bike.

i went ahead with the deluxe cd. seems to be the most bang for the least shipping buck.

i'll grab the vinyl at my local indie.

anybody catch the instructions on the delivery of the bike? not too shabby. have it delivered to a near show, photo opp....then sell it to a hipster.