At the end of the day, most Wilco fans are about the tunes. Don't make it a freakin scavenger hunt to find the tunes.

I feel the same way. I'm willing to buy the deluxe CD without even thinking about the price, but I don't want to have to re-purchase a lot of songs just to get the one song needed to complete the set. Give me an option to buy all of the songs under one umbrella, and I'll gladly pay for it. I'm not glad to buy things twice.

When I buy The Whole Love, I want to know that I got the whole Whole Love.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kechefs

I don't know if you've noticed, but the band (or Jeff at least) is not wanting for money. That was an issue in 1997, 1999, even 2001 perhaps, but I think they're doing alright these days.

Not so sure about this, alright is relative.

All "art fighting the evil corporation" naiveté aside, money make the world go round, and Jeff has kids to feed. The music is the most important aspect of it all, that goes without saying, but the entire appeal of buying the merchandise is for the sake of collection and showing everyone you're a fan of these wonderful artists. Playing a record is best when you can hold the case in your hands and explore pages containing info about the recording process, lyrics printed to give you a possible insight in the the creator's mind, and artwork to admire.

Don't want to counter what you say per se as an argument, but I would add that

(1) I have family priorities as far as money goes too, and I would rather spread what I spend on music around more artists rather than buy deluxe bundles from fewer.

(2) In my (long) experience hearing music is often best when you know NOTHING about the artist. Unknown Stax/soul artists on a tinny (yes tinny not tiny) transistor radio, new punk rock singles exploding out of nowhere ... etc. I vote for imagination over information every time.

So sorry. :unsure

Not a fan of the LOL.

Also not a fan of LOL. I just typed it for the first time and already feel douchey. As far as the hipsters on the bikes quoted earlier this is a phenomenon that is getting out of hand. I attended the Heartless Bastards show last night here in beautiful Northern Kentucky and you could not swing a dead cat without hittin a dude in thick black rims,hair grease, skinny jeans and a long sleeve button down despite the 105 degree heat index, and apparently half of them rode a bike there .It reminded me of that time I went to the casting call for "Outsiders...The Musical"

If I win, can I request a non-fixed gear bike? I haven't ridden a "fixie" since I was 13 and was into BMX. Anyway, Atlanta is too hilly for fashion before function.

I hear you. It's a beautiful bike, but not functional for anywhere other than the boardwalk. Don't get me wrong, if I win it I'll ride it proudly sweating and cursing the whole way (southern Indiana is hilly too) but I'd never buy a fixed gear bike. Lots of them around here though.

At least Wilco has been up front with the various editions/packages. Look at a band like Arcade Fire - they waited more than a year to release the deluxe edition of their last album. If nothing else we've been given the chance to make an informed decision.

I went for the deluxe CD and the vinyl (both from wilcoworld, as I don't leave anywhere near a record store). There aren't a lot of bands I'd spend that much money on, but Wilco is worth it to me. I think the artwork looks cool and I'm happy getting most of the bonus tracks. It was a pretty easy decision for me.

If I win, can I request a non-fixed gear bike? I haven't ridden a "fixie" since I was 13 and was into BMX. Anyway, Atlanta is too hilly for fashion before function.

jff, there's a contingent of hipster fixie riders in decatur. they tend to congregate at Twains, of all places.

At least Wilco has been up front with the various editions/packages. Look at a band like Arcade Fire - they waited more than a year to release the deluxe edition of their last album. If nothing else we've been given the chance to make an informed decision.

True. Those after the fact deluxe or tour editions are worse.

Guest McGuffin

It's amazing how many people are willing to shell out cash for the same music on multiple formats. I know people are audiophiles, superfans or apologists, but really? I'm trying to remember the last time I bought a copy of an album I already own on another format just so I could have that other format. Oh, right, the last time that happened was never. I just don't get it. But whatever.

It is so aggravating that bands release multiple versions of an album according to the format or even the site on which it's being sold. Take a look at the Black Angels' last release. I believe there were three different sets of bonus tracks depending on the site on which it was sold. Take at look at BRMC's last album, which had a bonus track (Martyr - how did this not make the proper album?) only available on a limited edition CD. It's maddening the way record companies are scamming fans with this nonsense. Make the CD and DD the same. And allow those who purchase the vinyl to download the bonus tracks for free. This different versions on multiple formats stuff is maddening.

Anyway, I'll likely opt for the Itunes version. $14.99 huh? I bought a double CD called "Being There" a dozen years ago for...about nine bucks. Ya. And I could feel that in my hands and look at the pictures and notes.

I'm not loving their label so much with these shenanigans. Remember the YHF days? Ya.

I guess it’s hard to please everyone ‘cause everyone likes different stuff. But if people are using this board to do market research:

- I don’t want a t shirt with my music. I don’t want a bag and I don’t want a yo yo.

- I like vinyl. So for my money, put all the music on vinyl. If there are bonus tracks, I would gladly pay extra for a deluxe version of the album with all the songs. Make it two discs or three discs. That I will pay for. Don’t make me buy a CD to get the bonus material.

- If you want me to pre-order, make it something I can’t get when it is released generally. I am a sucker for limited coloured vinyl. Or a bonus single. Or a bonus single on coloured vinyl.

So I’ll be waiting until Vertigo Records in Ottawa gets this in.

jff, there's a contingent of hipster fixie riders in decatur. they tend to congregate at Twains, of all places.

Twains is (almost) at the bottom of a hill, so no matter which way you came from (unless you live right next door in which case you'd be an idiot for bringing your bike), you have to ride your fixie uphill after drinking beer and eating fried food at Twains.

Smart.

The fixie crown swarms GSU downtown, too.

deluxe is 13.49 on amazon pre-order. wouldn't be surprised if it even dropped another buck or so. plus, you get the free shipping if you order enough to make a total of $25, which i will have no problem doing. why the hell would i order from the official store and pay almost $25 just for the deluxe and shipping?

-justin

deluxe is 13.49 on amazon pre-order. wouldn't be surprised if it even dropped another buck or so. plus, you get the free shipping if you order enough to make a total of $25, which i will have no problem doing. why the hell would i order from the official store and pay almost $25 just for the deluxe and shipping?

-justin

You won't be entered in the drawing. That's about it.

Don't want to counter what you say per se as an argument, but I would add that

(1) I have family priorities as far as money goes too, and I would rather spread what I spend on music around more artists rather than buy deluxe bundles from fewer.

(2) In my (long) experience hearing music is often best when you know NOTHING about the artist. Unknown Stax/soul artists on a tinny (yes tinny not tiny) transistor radio, new punk rock singles exploding out of nowhere ... etc. I vote for imagination over information every time.

That's personal opinion and not established fact, no matter how much "(long) experience" you've had. It has to do with the personality of the listener. Many fans can be over-analytical or simply can't get enough of Wilco; I happen to be both. Don't forget, the material disclosed in the packaging doesn't have to be info on the recording process either. It can be artwork. My favorite example of this is the hidden booklet in Radiohead's album: Kid A.

It's amazing how many people are willing to shell out cash for the same music on multiple formats. I know people are audiophiles, superfans or apologists, but really? I'm trying to remember the last time I bought a copy of an album I already own on another format just so I could have that other format. Oh, right, the last time that happened was never. I just don't get it. But whatever.

I mean no offense, but how old are you? I know I've purchased many cds that I owned on LP for years, LPs get scratchy and just need to be replaced sometimes.

As a side note I prefer cds to LPs, I went to school for audio, I actually have a degree in multi track recording, one of my favorite classes was mastering, I actually made the groove that goes in the vinyl, it's a VERY imperfect medium. I don't get the whole "audiophile" lp thing honestly, it's hardly "pure audio", how could it be when the signal is manipulated to fit onto the disc, and then manipulated for playback (RIAA curve). I find it humorous when a "audiophile geek" puts down MP3s for basically the same thing.

Full disclosure: I do own a B&O turntable with a cartridge that cost $400 (in 1989), not high end I know, but certainly not low end, it's just not currently hooked up.

That's personal opinion...

Exactly. Which is why I did not want to respond as a counter to what you said (and tried to make that clear), just an explanation of my views. So I find it strange that you are taking me to task a bit. I can exactly see where different people stand and why, I just wanted to put out a message to anyone at the record company who might be reading that there are people who would like to go for a no frills package as long as it included the maximum music in one format (and could therefore be a bit more expensive) released once. Oh well.

The argument for LP's is that you're getting a constant sound wave off the vinyl, not sampling in bits. You're also hearing both the odd and even harmonics, whereas cd only has half of that picture. I agree that it is a slightly more precarious medium, at its best it is better sounding. At its mediocre it is more charming in a sonically inferior kind of way.

People have been going back and forth on this since the advent of the cd. Digital mastering and conversion has gotten WAY better since the conversation started. At the end of the day it's really about how people emotionally interact with a piece of art. I like laying on the floor in front of the speakers and looking at the LP jacket. I know friends who like getting the album instantaneously dropped on to their computer without the guilt of consuming another piece of plastic/paper. The fact that they can take this, put it on a portable device and go running while they experience the album for the first time is not without romance.

Guest McGuffin

I mean no offense, but how old are you? I know I've purchased many cds that I owned on LP for years, LPs get scratchy and just need to be replaced sometimes.

Just a bit younger than you, actually. Any LPs I owned are long gone. I'm sure I've purchased some of that music again on CD or digitally, but I no longer owned the LP so it was necessary. If I had a good copy of an album on whatever format, I wouldn't go buying the same album on a different format. This idea of buying the CD, LP and digital versions is nuts to me.

Just a bit younger than you, actually. Any LPs I owned are long gone. I'm sure I've purchased some of that music again on CD or digitally, but I no longer owned the LP so it was necessary. If I had a good copy of an album on whatever format, I wouldn't go buying the same album on a different format. This idea of buying the CD, LP and digital versions is nuts to me.

My record player in my car broke a couple years ago so I've been forced to buy multiple formats for some of the albums I love.

Does anyone know if kung-fu takes the money for the pre-order right away, or if they wait until they ship? My boyfriend bought me a bundle, and said the money went out of his account, but is currently back in there. He has not been emailed by kung-fu saying there was a problem. I can't remember how it was done when W(TA) came out.

in general I support more options vs less on special editions, etc

I like to collect posters, some may say that is as silly as bags and yo's yo's, but as long as fans buy them they will make them.....

regarding the AF reissue, I bought it and am happy with it. You get a DVD and big book of photo's, lyrics, etc in addition to the 2 extra songs. If you just want the extra songs go to itunes, I really dont see the harm of doing it this way. I did not really view it as buying Suburbs again, but rather buying all of the new content. Once again, seemed like fair value to me.

however, what I dont understand is the multiple formats with multiple songs. I appreciate Wilco giving us several options to buy, but why have 1 extra track on the vinyl and not the CD. Just does not make sense. So I am a bit torn here, I appreciate being able to buy most of the bsides now in one place (except one) vs hunting for them over the next year, but frustrated that they would go to all of the trouble to create the special edition CD and not put all of the extra songs on it.

Wilco has been so fan friendly over the years, it just seems like a bizarre move for them to make.