Official reviews of The Whole Love

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ In the liner notes it says that Glenn did the Field Recordings, but obviously a location wasn't given. Glenn also plays a siren on Dawned On Me which I knew I heard but thought that it was Mikael.

Sounds like they must have been done for Long Island Railroad, perhaps inside Penn Station.

This is more about the Central Park show than the album but,

From the Village Voice

http://blogs.village...r_23_review.php

I love this review.

Here's a little excerpt:

"Throughout the two-hour-plus set, the rain pisses down constantly, and Wilco demonstrate their ability to put over modern blazer-rock better than any of the toothless/hookless/mirthless sensitivos in The National, Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, and others—and they don't resort to Hornsbyisms, try to be U2/Springsteen, or add a fucking saxophone."

I sort-of like The National, Bon Iver, and Grizzly Bear. But fuck yes. This is correct.

The thing I don't like about reviews like that is that there is no reason for the writer to bash other artists in order to prop up the artist he or she is writing about. It's weak writing and reeks of having some sort of axe to grind. Plus, The National put on a hell of a show.

The guy with the Bloodbuzz Ohio avatar feels the need to hijack this thread momentarily with a defense of The National...

Toothless? They have moments on disc and live that are as fierce as anybody going right now.

Hookless? Maybe he just can't recognize a hook when it's sung in baritone.

Mirthless? OK. that one's 100% true, but criticizing The National for their lack of mirth is a bit like criticizing Wilco for their grooming.

Here is my review if you want another take! Thanks!

http://www.speakersi...whole-love.html

Jason

Not bad...Not bad at all.

I read it, got a little different insight.

Good work.

Wow. What is it with college kids these days? (besides the fact that they really still think drugs are cool) Some angles never die:

Exhibit A:

"It’s always a strange thing to wish someone were back on drugs. Jeff Tweedy wrote two of the most critically claimed albums of the 2000s—“Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” and “A Ghost is Born”—while under the influence of painkillers and depression. Then he got clean, released the hokey “Sky Blue Sky” and the irritatingly self-referential, though marginally improved “Wilco (The Album).” Wilco’s latest, “The Whole Love,” suggests a similar move towards retro-pop irrelevance and, worse, the oft-invoked genre “dad rock.” While this album, as with the last two, has several absolutely brilliant songs, it mainly furthers Wilco’s descent into irrelevant tastefulness." eh, they're Harvard snobs, one figures: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/9/27/the-whole-love-wilco-album-review/

Exhibit B

"Wilco's new album, The Whole Love, showcases a band that sounded better when the members were suffering from depression and prescription-drug addiction." - U of I's The Daily Iowan: http://www.dailyiowan.com/2011/09/29/Arts/25146.html

dad rock 160 up, 68 down

The standard set of albums from the 60s and 70s that every boomer likes. Boomers try to get younguns to listen to dad rock by loading up "best albums ever" lists with them. Dad rockers have no desire to listen to recent music and are stuck in the past.

From the Urban Dictionary. Exhibit A's author is clueless.

Critic's pick: Wilco, 'The Whole Love'

By Walter Tunis Contributing Music Writer

It starts with the sound of corrosion — a momentary wave of static out of which grows a beat, a tense melody dotted with electronic burps, a mounting orchestral wash and, lastly, the sort of casual, unfinished vocal confession that could only belong to Jeff Tweedy.

Thus begins Art of Almost, the lead track to Wilco's splendid new album, The Whole Love. If one were prone to interpretation, you might view the corrosive prelude as a sort of burning away from the past and the rapid re-assembly of found pop parts as a gateway to something new. Tweedy probably never envisioned anything so obvious or pretentious for The Whole Love. But there is no doubting the mood shift from 2009's Wilco (The Album) to now. The former was full of summery diversion. The Whole Love is all autumnal beauty — bleak though it sometimes becomes.

Longtime fans will still find familiarity, here. Wilco continues to be masterful at crafting all manner of pop melodies. Some are ornate, others disarmingly simple.

For Dawned on Me, Tweedy surrounds a chorus that will lodge itself in your brain after a single listen with Radiohead-like keyboard/bass fragments while drummer Glenn Kotche, a University of Kentucky grad, adds a mix of playful and propulsive grooves. More sumptuous corrosion then ensues from Wilco's secret weapon: guitarist Nels Cline. There is a brief but absolutely brilliant passage in the song where Cline's guitar squall is countered by Tweedy whistling the chorus. Seldom have Wilco's many moods met, blended and moved on with such efficiency.

From another land altogether comes Capitol City, a light, wide-eyed shuffle that almost seems like a vehicle for some soft-shoe footwork. The childlike overtones of the song bring out a bright innocence in Tweedy's singing. The tune is a real trip, though. It musically borrows from the kinds of wheezy keyboard colors Garth Hudson might have created decades ago with The Band. But Tweedy winds up dashing any sort of picture-postcard sentimentalism by augmenting (and defusing) the traditional "wish you were here" refrain with the more sobering brush off of "you wouldn't like it here."

The Whole Love saves its jaw-dropper for last, however. Closing the album is the 12-minute One Sunday Morning, a saga of loss and broken faith set to a wistful, light-as-air melody that rides along with the lyrics like a passenger. It is part dirge and part affirmation, even if the quiet doom of Tweedy's hushed singing seems to initially suggest more of the former.

Such is the way the moods mesh, sparkle and implode on The Whole Love, an album dominated by a band voice that remains — above all the visions here of darkness and light — as vividly luminous as it is beautifully restless.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/09/26/1898115/critics-pick-wilco-the-whole-love.html#ixzz1ZShqxumC

Our local guy is a pretty big Wilco fan.

Toronto weekly NOW's disc of the week, and a 5/5 score

Wilco - The Whole Love

(dBpm)

By Carla Gillis

Wilco’s ace eighth album, the first released on their own label, dBpm, is a real kick in the pants. Opening song Art Of Almost – a sort of rhythmically jerky, sprawling, Radioheadesque sonic experiment that climaxes with Nels Cline’s fantastically frenzied lead guitar – sets a bold, adventurous tone. (They opened with it at last week’s Massey Hall show, too.) You’d barely know it was Wilco if not for Jeff Tweedy’s familiar croon.

Things never again reach such epic proportions, though all 12 songs are infused with a vigour that previous albums, especially recent ones, lacked. Sunloathe evokes late-period Beatles, while Dawned On Me is classic mid-tempo singalong Wilco, once again invigorated by Cline’s in-your-face riffing and by long-time member John Stirratt’s busy bass work. Black Moon and hazy Rising Red Lung add a pensive touch, I Might is fat with a punky fuzz, while Standing O is a brisk slice of Who-inspired fun.

The Whole Love, in other words, has a whole lotta spirit.

Top track: Standing O

I just could not pull the trigger.........went with the new Jayhawks record instead......those who know me......Am I wrong????

-Robert

To give you the personal response this query deserves. I think I am going to have to go PM here when I have a little more time. But cliffnotes version: Yeah, Robert, I think you'll like it. Give it a shot.

--Mike

Capitol City, a light, wide-eyed shuffle that almost seems like a vehicle for some soft-shoe footwork. The childlike overtones of the song bring out a bright innocence in Tweedy's singing. The tune is a real trip, though. It musically borrows from the kinds of wheezy keyboard colors Garth Hudson might have created decades ago with The Band.

Exactly. I hear a lot of The Band in Wilco - and this is one of the reasons I really like this track.