Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

Glad to see Bruce is back on the road, but I think I would rather see him strip it down and do either a solo acoustic record and tour or a two guitar, bass and drums (something he's never done) record and tour.

We've seen Bruce the showman for the last couple of tours. I want to see Bruce the Musician.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First night of the tour was fantastic. I was able to watch the last half of the show on a Facebook stream. 28 songs, 2 hours 45 minutes. The band is sounding awesome. Link for a nice review with setli

Dan Zanes is writing a book about Nebraska.  

Posted Images

if it would be another like Devils & Dust, no thank you

Devils and Dust was probably more about the material. The record itself was a bit slapdash.

I think if Bruce went into a stripped down band project, he might really rise to the challenge.

songwise, devils and dust is an excellent album. unfortunately, as with many albums, it's totally over-produced. the song Devils and Dust is so good, then the damn orchestra comes in. total cheese. it's embarrassing to play out loud.

i'd give D&D about a 6.5/10 personally, and my least favorite post '00 Bruce album prior to Working On A Dream

i appreciate the sentiment, but i found it to drag

i guess it does drag a bit. it has some great songs though. i though magic was pretty tight, however, i think it should've been called The Long Walk Home :-) Working on a Dream was very touch and go. songs 2 and 3 were great as was the song The Wrestler. not many times is the bonus track the best song on the album.

• 2 weeks later...

This new one is easily his best since The Rising. For me, maybe the best since Lucky Town. At least that's excitement that I haven't had on first listens of Magic and Working On A Dream. Let's see if it sticks.

This Depression is pretty good. It sounds inspired by the Seeger Sessions.

Did you guys get a rip?

I haven't actively pursued a leak since I got the Rising from an OLD friend.

Did you guys get a rip?

I haven't actively pursued a leak since I got the Rising from an OLD friend.

www.backstreets.com

is dropping a song a day

look at the news page

Solid Album

Guthrie influenced and yes slightly agitated

Ive Got my Pit Tickets for Boston and Looking forward to it.

www.backstreets.com

is dropping a song a day

look at the news page

Solid Album

Guthrie influenced and yes slightly agitated

Ive Got my Pit Tickets for Boston and Looking forward to it.

This one is a real relief after the disaster that was Working on a Dream. This one sounds like a real winner.

This one is a real relief after the disaster that was Working on a Dream. This one sounds like a real winner.

Im Not sure that WOAD was a complete train wreck Kingdom of Days is a Good One / Danny's Tribute ; The Last Carnival(Jason Federici plays the accordion & of course The Wrestler* (we got that live in Boston Nite 1 May 09 it was great.

Having typed the above yes it is does not hold up as The Rising & Magic

But this new one has Heart Soul Blood & Guts ....a keepah!

Im Not sure that WOAD was a complete train wreck Kingdom of Days is a Good One / Danny's Tribute ; The Last Carnival(Jason Federici plays the accordion & of course The Wrestler* (we got that live in Boston Nite 1 May 09 it was great.

Having typed the above yes it is does not hold up as The Rising & Magic

But this new one has Heart Soul Blood & Guts ....a keepah!

Bruce has made his best records when he had something on the line or was responding to something he feels/felt strongly about.

WoaD was one of those "well, the band is hot, I have some songs and Brendan isn't busy. Let's do a record" as opposed to "Goddamnit, I'm angry about the Iraqi war/erosion of civil liberties" or "I'm tired of seeing the working man get screwed" or "my nation has been wounded...I need to respond".

Sometimes he takes his elder statesman/troubador of the people mantle a bit too seriously; but the man seems to be able to hit the right chord and make the exactly right record most of the time..

The big statement makes for some transcendent musical moments, but can also cross over into the realm of the bombastic easily.

Listening to the tracks as they are streamed, this thing is going to be epic. The melding of electronic beats, guitar rock and Celtic folk song stylings makes for some really interesting listening. That and Bruce is at his pissed off best lyrically.

it's interesting to hear people's opinions on the post-2000 stuff. I am relatively new Springsteen fan - just started listening to him a couple of years ago (for some reason I always had a blind spot for him), and my first album was Magic. I thought it was great, and it is still one of my favorites. I then listened to Working on a Dream, and while it's definitely not better than Magic and there is some questionable material (Queen of the Supermarket), I didn't think it was terrible. In fact, I love the title track, and Life Itself is beautifully poetic and dark. It's a grandiose pop album, basically, which was probably too jarring for most die hard fans. Then I went back from the beginning (Greetings...) through The River, and thought, holy crap, this stuff is incredible. Born to Run and Nebraska are now two of my favorite albums of all time. I guess my point is that, if I had started with the older stuff, I might have looked upon the new material with more disappointment. Instead, I started out really appreciating him as an artist based on the albums of the past decade, especially given his age, and progressed into becoming a huge fan when I heard the 70's material.

For me, the jury is still out on Wrecking Ball. While it doesn't measure up to Magic and The Rising, I pretty much enjoy every song. Land of Hope and Dreams would be really cheesy for any other artist, but for some reason I find it really uplifting and emotional.

Anyway, I've never seen Bruce in concert, and I have a ticket to the April 9th show at MSG. I am extremely excited. Should I be prepared for a three and half hour marathon? I am amazed at the stamina he has at his age.

Anyway, I've never seen Bruce in concert, and I have a ticket to the April 9th show at MSG. I am extremely excited. Should I be prepared for a three and half hour marathon? I am amazed at the stamina he has at his age.

Me too. Be prepared for a two and a half (or 2:45) marathon. It's early in the tour, so you'll probably get 2:20 or so. Either way, no other artist works that hard at his age. Enjoy!

The past few days I'm Loving : The Jack of All Trades got it on whilst I type

As I listen to horns creep up in the backround Im reminded of Clarence

For those of you unaware CLarence is on the Recording...

He is found on the Studio Version of Land of Hope & Dreams

some may say they love NYC /Barcelona versions more and I leave it alone

I Enjoy this studio version of LHOAD

this release has inspired me to re-visit Tom Joad. i wonder if he will ever release the country tunes that he has mentioned that were recorded during Tom Joad. that would be interesting.