Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band

Looking forward to hearing the new Bruce album, though I must say I'm mildly annoyed with the lack of originality on the album title. C'mon Bruce, Emmylou Harris put out Wrecking Ball in 1995, you couldn't think of another title?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First night of the tour was fantastic. I was able to watch the last half of the show on a Facebook stream. 28 songs, 2 hours 45 minutes. The band is sounding awesome. Link for a nice review with setli

Dan Zanes is writing a book about Nebraska.  

Posted Images

Looking forward to hearing the new Bruce album, though I must say I'm mildly annoyed with the lack of originality on the album title. C'mon Bruce, Emmylou Harris put out Wrecking Ball in 1995, you couldn't think of another title?

Yeah - plus it is a title of a Neil Young song. Not a big fan of the album cover, either. I haven't bought a new Springsteen album since Devils and Dust, perhaps I'll get this one.

Wrecking Ball' track listing

1. We Take Care of Our Own

2. Easy Money

3. Shackled and Drawn

4. Jack of All Trades

5. Death to My Hometown

6. This Depression

7. Wrecking Ball

8. You've Got It

9. Rocky Ground

10. Land of Hope and Dreams

11. We Are Alive

That song sounds like a song for Army recruiters or a Tea Party rally.

How do you see that?

Bruce has been about the idealism that this country purported to exemplify when he was growing up.

He's not bitching about having to pay too much in taxes and not proposing the someone go get army strong.

I see the honest outrage of someone seeing apathy and promises unfufilled, if not outright broken.

I've pounded on Bruce for things in the past, but I do think he is honest in his desire for a communal reawakening of what made the promise of America Great.

It's sounds like a flag waving song, so it could be we will see those people who are into such things latch onto the song. Maybe not. It was just my first impression.

I like Bruce songs about cars. And I like Nebraska. After that, I don't know.

It's sounds like a flag waving song, so it could be we will see those people who are into such things latch onto the song. Maybe not. It was just my first impression.

I like Bruce songs about cars. And I like Nebraska. After that, I don't know.

Says more about the audience than the singer.

Ann Powers from NPR's For The Record on the new song.

http://www.npr.org/b...-social-protest

Also, Analogman, are you this guy from the For The Record comments section?

51eceedc-28d9-494c-9ded-56b859490482.Small.jpg?0

Mark P (KarlPopperFan) wrote:

protest songs have never accomplished anything. And "we take care of our own," sounds like a tea party, anti-government sentiment.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:20:45 PM

Ha ha. I didn't think that it was you, just attempting to be a smartass.

No - I believe in protest songs. I don't see Bruce protesting anything in that song.

Bruce has always been a political songwriter. Sometimes it's about the politics of personal relationships and sometimes it's about the politics of nation states and the individual..

Tougher than the Rest is just as political as The Last to Die, it's just the macro vs. the micro.

Lefsetz has this to say (look up his blog to read the rest):

It sucks.

But it doesn’t matter.

I’ve got sympathy for the Boss and the rest of the classic rockers. They’re afraid. Used to be they brought tablets down from the mountaintop, we were all fascinated and paid attention. Now these stars are just grist for the mill, their output is for fans only, gets no radio play to speak of and is instantly forgotten.

I’m gonna get reams of hate mail. Because these New Jerseyites, both honorary and real, have an investment in Bruce. He centers their lives, in the same way Jon Bon Jovi does for a younger generation. But that does not make any of their new music good.

But they can’t take a risk.

Bruce Springsteen should fire the E Street Band.

But his audience won’t let him.

Lefsetz has this to say (look up his blog to read the rest):

i had a hunch he would name the album wrecking ball. fwiw, gillian welch also has a tune called wrecking ball. better than the NY tune...that emmylou covered.

it's not that bad of a song, but these guys have been making shit 3 times longer than they made anything good. they don't have anything to prove anymore. just do an acoustic album for god's sakes or what until you have some inspiration :)

i'd love to hear a live, in the studio album without overdubs from bruce. just drums, bass, piano and guitar. just straight ahead...no gimmicks. i guess i was a little harsh initially with this tune. it's not bad and is definitely not too cheesy.

US Tour Dates

March 18 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena (on sale Feb 4)

March 19 - Greensboro, NC - Greensboro Coliseum (on sale Feb 3)

March 23 - Tampa, FL - Tampa Bay Times Forum (on sale Jan 28)

March 26 - Boston, MA - TD Garden (on sale Jan 28)

March 28 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center (on sale Jan 28)

March 29 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center (on sale Jan 28)

April 1 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center (on sale Jan 28)

April 3 - East Rutherford, NJ - Izod Center (on sale Jan 27)

April 4 - East Rutherford, NJ - Izod Center (on sale Jan 27)

April 6 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden (on sale Jan 27)

April 9 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden (on sale Jan 27)

April 12 - Detroit, MI - The Palace of Auburn Hills (on sale Jan 28)

April 13 - Buffalo, NY - First Niagara Center (on sale Jan 28)

April 16 - Albany, NY - Times Union Center (on sale Jan 28)

April 17 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena (on sale Jan 28)

April 24 - San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion (on sale Feb 3)

April 26 - Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena (on sale Feb 3)

April 29 - New Orleans, LA - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (on sale now)

May 2 - Newark, NJ - Prudential Center (on sale Jan 27)

• 2 weeks later...

From Billboard.com:

Clarence Clemons' Nephew Playing Saxophone on Bruce Springsteen Tour

Bruce Springsteen has announced that two saxophonists, including Clarence Clemons' nephew, will join his upcoming world tour with the E Street Band.

The announcement was made Thursday on Springsteen's website. Springsteen says longtime collaborator Eddie Manion wil "share the saxophone role" with Jake Clemons.

Returning singers Cindy Mizelle and Curtis King, trombonist Clark Gayton and trumpeter Curt Ramm also will be on the tour, along with newcomer Barry Danielian on trumpet.

"Wrecking Ball" is Springsteen's 17th album and the first since the death of E Street Band saxophonist Clarence Clemons last summer.

The tour starts March 18 in Atlanta.

The setlist won't change much in the beginning but there will also be a lot of pressure on those folks to learn all the material. By the time the (unannounced but inevitable) fall and winter dates in North America roll around, they will be changing it up as much as Bruce ever does (which is normally about 30% or so per night by the end of a tour)