Top Ten Ways to Give Wilco a Shot in the Arm

Hey all,

Just drove back from seeing Wilco play in Milwaukee and felt a little disappointed. But I think there are some real ways for them to achieve a reboot. Would you do me a favor and add your thoughts as a comment to our blog post? Best comments will be integrated into the post itself.

Thanks. It's all in the spirit of giving a great band an even greater legacy. Think about R.E.M. and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

wilco_milwaukee.jpg.scaled500.jpg

I really couldn't disagree more.

I was at the Milwaukee show and we must have seen something different. They looked as fresh as ever!

I was going to try and seriously comment on your little blog, but by the time I got to number 5 and it was about where the band stands on stage, I realize that you'your little article blog thing isn't even meant to be taken seriously.

I agree with totally disagreeing. Maybe they had an off night -- they are entitled after being on the road for so long -- but when I saw them in NYC they were having a ball and sounded great. But, I guess you can't make everybody happy.

"Fully integrate Nels or let him go" Are you and your pals all high? No, that can't explain it. What are you listening to? I guess everyone hears different things, but I find most of your observations ludicrous and your "I know what's best for Wilco" attitude arrogant and condescending. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it came across to me. Its pretty pointless to make suggestions to a band about how they ought to be doing things like how much they move around on stage or who ought to sing harmony in what spot, and when they should do an acoustic song, etc. I suppose its okay to talk about your ideas about how the band is making what you think are mistakes, but surely you don't expect them to take you seriously, do you? And to try to make a campaign of discontent out of it by trying to recruit people from here is, in my judgement, lame. Dude, face it, its not that the band is doing things wrong, its just that you don't like them any more.

I agree with totally disagreeing. Maybe they had an off night -- they are entitled after being on the road for so long -- but when I saw them in NYC they were having a ball and sounded great. But, I guess you can't make everybody happy.

it definitely wasn't an off night for them, they were fantastic. Either this guy was at a different show or he just doesn't like Wilco's evolution.

Similarly, if the Rolling Stones can do an acoustic set in the middle of an arena show, why not Wilco?

You must have skipped the 'Evening With Wilco' tour.

What do you want Jeff & Co to do, crawl out of U2's giant spaceship after Nick Lowe finished his set? Not me, I like their live show just fine.

Ahh, whatever. These guys are boring as stage full of grannies, and that's okay with me...

Friend, happy to speak!

I already make many suggestion for this motive (as in evidence of search button on this site if you have the persuasion), with lemon flares in top priority position (for it is too much to ask for the sexy-op for Mr Jeff Tweedy and Mr Pat Sansone so that they have the double female throat for next Wilco effort, so I discontinue this request in particular - though Professor from Stockholm think it still has some legs for merit).

In truth, with guidance of thoughts of late beloved Stig, the Wilco already make great progress to ways of the Abba, as brought in evidence by magnificence of pop effort on some tracks of last album. So I have special pride of the happy bunny and make little PM of grateful to Mr Jeff Tweedy (with special package treat of the pine also sent to Lofty place). I have been taking the Wilco as a horse to the river of the Abba, and they have been drinking in full measure, to make a turn around of the phrase we say in Sweden

Friend, take a scale from eyes and see truth in what I say. Believe, there can be no better progress! All is well with the Wilco while they follow this course. But if you hear of extended break in Wilco schedule of tour, then perhaps it is time for the sexy-op! Ha! ha!

Welfare!

You must have skipped the 'Evening With Wilco' tour.

What do you want Jeff & Co to do, crawl out of U2's giant spaceship after Nick Lowe finished his set? Not me, I like their live show just fine.

Ahh, whatever. These guys are boring as stage full of grannies, and that's okay with me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gosQUeHuOnQ

Cool. They have a spaceship for this tour? Rocks. Going tomorrow so can't wait. Honestly, if there was a revolving stage, a tethered flying camel, or a stonehenge set piece I would cry. It is about the music. Bore the sh$t out of me by standing in one place if that makes the interludes on Via Chicago shake even louder. I love seeing Wayne Coyne in a life size ball. It trulyexpoits the fact that the Flaming Lips can't really do live what the do in the stake their studio work and expand, or contract it at will, in a live setting. The great thing is that they work it and use the props and act as an adjunct to the music and it works. Wilco shows, however, are unique places in time that reflect the mood of the crowd, band, and the moment.

Hey all,

Just drove back from seeing Wilco play in Milwaukee and felt a little disappointed. But I think there are some real ways for them to achieve a reboot. Would you do me a favor and add your thoughts as a comment to our blog post? Best comments will be integrated into the post itself.

Thanks. It's all in the spirit of giving a great band an even greater legacy. Think about R.E.M. and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

1st post to draw traffic to yr ill-formed opinions.

no thanks.

1st post to draw traffic to yr ill-formed opinions.

no thanks.

Hey all,

Perhaps the problem isn't with the band.

And I doubt anybody from here will post to your blog.

It's funny cause last night in Detroit I was thinking, "Wow Nels really sounds like he is starting to play these songs like he owns them." In fact the only note for note solo was the only solo that absolutely HAD to be played note for note - Cruel to be Kind w/ Mr. Lowe.

Since you could only come up with 4 ways Wilco could get a Shot in the Arm, here's a proper 12 ways Wilco HAS given themselves a shot in the arm:

1. Add a horn section.

2. Play a song at the end of the set without any amplification.

3. Nudie suits. (enough said).

4. Play a cover tune with the opening act.

5. Put bed sheets over their heads and sing Theologians.

6. Play all their album cuts over five nights in one venue.

7. Crowd surf.

8. Channel your inner Pete Townsend.

9. Use an actual alarm clock for the beginning of IATOBYH.

10. Play a punk rock version of Passenger Side.

11. Start your own arts & music festival.

12. Add a fiddle player / professional whistler.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples if people really thought about it. And I can't wait to see what they pull out for the Chicago shows this week!

Hey all,

Worst first post ever...

Anyone who went last night can easily pronounce this thread dead. Synergy was unreal. Nels took any hacks who follow him to school. John thumped his way to the bass hall of fame. Pat showed why he runs the boards. Glenn buried sounds that most people can't hear. Mikhael brought the sound. Jeff, well, Jeff. was the ringmaster for the best show I have seen in ten years. I don't agree Wilco ever left, but if people are complaining they did, check out Owl and Bear when they post this show. Accousitics were tremendous. Sightlines were extraordinary. Band was on fire. Game over, achievement unlocked,

Seriously, the onday show, at a venue whre one may expect a letdown givn what was coming next, they tore the sh$t out of it. No, Wilco is fine. It is the doubters who fail.