Austin City Limits broadcast on Feb. 4th!

snapback.pngAJ673, on 05 February 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

Loved the little interview blurb after as well - Jeff, John and Pat

Seems to me that Jeff gives a much better "print" inverview than on video, at least on this one. He just seems more awkward and introverted on video interviews, and doesn't come across as the same really bright and articulate guy to me.

I find that typically Jeff does not interview well, in a televised or recorded setting anyway. The bonus SBS disc was an example. There is always an underlying nervousness and, for some reason, inability to get his point across in a linear fashion. Which is funny, because that is just a one on one situation most times. Strap on a guitar in front of 20, 000 screaming fans and he's fine...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snapback.pngAJ673, on 05 February 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

Loved the little interview blurb after as well - Jeff, John and Pat

Seems to me that Jeff gives a much better "print" inverview than on video, at least on this one. He just seems more awkward and introverted on video interviews, and doesn't come across as the same really bright and articulate guy to me.

I find that typically Jeff does not interview well, in a televised or recorded setting anyway. The bonus SBS disc was an example. There is always an underlying nervousness and, for some reason, inability to get his point across in a linear fashion. Which is funny, because that is just a one on one situation most times. Strap on a guitar in front of 20, 000 screaming fans and he's fine...

That nervousness and introversion are two of his endearing qualities, to me. That lack of linear thought process might be a recursive thought process in action, connecting ideas here and there in a way that make sense as he's thinking something through. Writing can be very much that way, so that might be how he writes songs as well, connecting ideas here and there until they fall into place.

I remember reading an interview quite awhile ago with Jeff saying that when he was in rehab, a doctor or counselor noticed that his anxiety lessened when he had his guitar. Even on stage he seems much more in his element with his guitar than without.

The complete performances of the 1999, 2004, and 2007 were passed along to JHamm, who ran the DVD project, by someone in the know, so full videos of those shows circulate and are pretty easy to find here. Hopefully something like that will eventually happen with this set, but be patient with it, it took (in the case of the 1999 performance) ten years for it to come out.

--Mike

Yes! The view from behind Glenn's kit was great. He really is some kind of magician.

edit: So, does anyone know if the entire performance is available to watch anywhere? The entire setlist for the night had all kinds of gems (Muzzle of Bees, Misunderstood, and more) but the 11 songs on the taping left me feeling a little, umm... underwhelmed? I think that show probably had a lot of great energy that wasn't really captured by the shortened setlist.

That's what always happens on ACL -- you only get a snippet. Maybe someday those full sets will be available...

That nervousness and introversion are two of his endearing qualities, to me. That lack of linear thought process might be a recursive thought process in action, connecting ideas here and there in a way that make sense as he's thinking something through. Writing can be very much that way, so that might be how he writes songs as well, connecting ideas here and there until they fall into place.

I remember reading an interview quite awhile ago with Jeff saying that when he was in rehab, a doctor or counselor noticed that his anxiety lessened when he had his guitar. Even on stage he seems much more in his element with his guitar than without.

Getting a little off topic here, but I just have to say that is so perfectly stated. I absolutely love interviews with Jeff because of that very quality. He kind of stumbles around but you can just see the gears turning in his head as he finds his way through his thoughts and formulates his response. His intelligence and humor come through in a very natural way. It's clear that he's fundamentally very confident--so much so that he doesn't feel the need to have smooth, canned responses, like he trusts that we'll "get" it. (Either we will or we won't--either way. ;)) I love it in the Ashes DVD when Nels says "The thing about Jeff is that he has this really probing mind and also a thorough knowledge of what it is he does and a grounding in [musical] tradition. He's very conceptual...and also like the rest of us -- certainly like me -- not comfortable all the time. He's alienated. [laughs] He's just trying to make it all work. I think ultimately he'll always do exactly what he wants, but sometimes he makes it seem like he has doubts or he's unsure...I'm not always sure he really is unsure."