Austin City Limits broadcast on Feb. 4th!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cox Cable here in Tulsa had it on some secondary PBS station. I DVR'd it. The guide must have been wrong because the first thing I saw was the middle of Bull Black Nova. The main PBSHD station was running the original Ocean's Eleven. Go figure. Here's hoping they repeat it.......

Loved it. Have to admit I wasn't super jazzed about the set list ahead of time - Bull Black Nova, some of the mellower songs off of the TWL - it had me wondering if a different set might be better. I was way in the wrong. Black Moon and Open Mind were great to hear, and it was the best version of BBN I've heard yet. War on War was a blast, as was Born Alone. I loved being able to see all of the things that go into making the sounds on a song like Poor Places - stuff you can't necessarily see when you are standing 10 heads back at a show. Far, Far Away was a treat, and the closer gave me goose bumps.

All that, and I did not wake anyone upstairs with my singing....

It's streaming in full at the Austin City Limits website. Click the link below and enjoy!

http://video.pbs.org/video/2190525171

Thanks for posting that link. I'm listening/watching as I type.

Very nice! I'd forgotten how amazing Poor Places is live. Beautiful performance of Black Moon. Far Far Away is, most moments, my favorite Wilco song, so excellent to hear it here.

Considering they never played in Edmonton this year (boo!) I can't complain about hearing the new songs somewhat live. That being said I just wish ACL would work on their synch issues a smidge.

Loved the little interview blurb after as well - Jeff, John and Pat

I didn't catch that before, so I went back and watched it. Insightful comments there about creativity. Loved the little laugh from Jeff after saying that it's possible to explore what's in your creative mind without being afraid you won't come back. Also liked Pat's comment about a sort of ESP in working together; you do sense that level of chemistry in this lineup.

I loved being able to see all of the things that go into making the sounds on a song like Poor Places - stuff you can't necessarily see when you are standing 10 heads back at a show. ....

Yes! The view from behind Glenn's kit was great. He really is some kind of magician.

edit: So, does anyone know if the entire performance is available to watch anywhere? The entire setlist for the night had all kinds of gems (Muzzle of Bees, Misunderstood, and more) but the 11 songs on the taping left me feeling a little, umm... underwhelmed? I think that show probably had a lot of great energy that wasn't really captured by the shortened setlist.

First of all- GREAT SHOW!! I know someone posted it earlier, but I'm going to include the link to the freshly archived new ACL episode & a few other links to hour long, or longer shows...

I'm also listing the broadcast setlist vs. the actual setlist. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Nick Lowe fan & I really appreciate them having the love & respect they do for him to have included a song of his within an 11 song broadcast, but in retrospect I REALLY would have much rather seen one of the more than a dozen Wilco songs that were edited out...I I think I would have preferred what I think someone else here mentioned, that they would have included another song from "The Whole Love"- I'd probably have gone with "Standing O", "I MIght" or maybe "Whole Love", but I wouldn't argue with "Black Moon", "Rising Red Lung" or "Capitol City" either...and I was thrilled to see "Open Mind" (probably my fave ballad on the album, and if not my fave, then one of my 3 or 4 fave songs on the album) made the show!!

2012 Austin City Limits:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2190525171

2011 Ed Sullivan Theater/Letterman Show

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonletterman/wilco/video/

2007 Austin City Limits Show

http://video.pbs.org/video/1458492765/

1999 Austin City Limits Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqYlM6N7rZ8&feature=related

Broadcast Show Setlist for 2012 Episode:

1-Art of Almost

2-Poor Places

3-Bull Black Nova

4-Open Mind

5-Born Alone

6-One Wing

7-Black Moon

8-War on War

9-Far, Far Away

10-Dawned on Me

11-Cruel to be Kind (with Nick Lowe)

Actual Full Setlist from 12/1/11 taping of Austin City Limits:

01 - Reservations

02 - Art of Almost

03 - I Might

04 - Misunderstood

05 - Black Moon

06 - Muzzle Of Bees

07 - Box Full of Letters

08 - Pot Kettle Black

09 - Born Alone

10 - Rising Red Lung

11 - Impossible Germany

12 - She's a Jar

13 - I'll Fight

14 - Dawned On Me

15 - I'm Always In Love

16 - Capitol City

17 - Red-Eyed and Blue

18 - I Got You (At the End of the Century)

19 - Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Encore:

20 - Whole Love

21 - Heavy Metal Drummer

22 - I'm the Man Who Loves You

23 - Standing O

24 - I'm A Wheel

Encore:

25 - Cruel to Be Kind (Nick Lowe)

Seems to me that Jeff gives a much better "print" inverview than on video, at least on this one. He just seems more awkward and introverted on video interviews, and doesn't come across as the same really bright and articulate guy to me.

I don't think the full setlist that you have here links with the episode that aired. Right? No Far, Far Away, Bull Black Nova or War on War

Yeah, the ACL taping actually happened on 11/30/11. I posted the whole setlist in After The Show. That 12/1/11 setlist is from the actual show at ACL Live the following night. That was a full-length proper show.

Oops "Black Moon" WAS in the show...I wrong listed it as a song I'd have liked to have seen them possibly include in the broadcast...oh well... speaking of which my fave older songs that I'd like to have take the spot of the Nick Lowe performance would have been ones that weren't on previous broadcasts..."I'm Always In Love", "I Got You (At The End Of The Century)", "Outtasite (Outta Mind)", "Heavy Metal Drummer".("Reservations", "Box Full Of Letters", "Misunderstood", "Pot Kettle Black", "She's A Jar", "I'll Fight" & "Red Eyed & Blue" are also great & have never been on a broadcast)..or any of the aforementioned tracks from "The Whole Love" like "I Might", "Standing O", "Whole Love", "Rising Red Lung" or "Capitol City"...

"I'm A Wheel", "Muzzle Of Bees" were from the broadcast of the 2004 show (don't know about "I'm The Man Who Loves You"), but don't know that much about what did (know 5 songs), or didn't end up on the show yet...so as I said I'd try to shy away from things that have already ended up on other shows..."Poor Places" from this broadcast was part of the performance from 2004, though I don't know if it ended up as being shown or not...

2007 Broadcast:

1-You Are My Face

2-Handshake Drugs

3-Side With the Seeds

4-Via Chicago

5-Impossible Germany

6--Sky Blue Sky

7-Too Far Apart

8-Hate it Here

9-Walken

10-I'm the Man Who Loves You

11-On and On and On

2007 Show 9/15/07

01 - You Are My Face

02 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

03 - Pot Kettle Black

04 - Handshake Drugs

05 - Shot in the Arm

06 - Side with the Seeds

07 - Via Chicago

08 - Impossible Germany

09 - Sky Blue Sky

10 - Too Far Apart

11 - Jesus, Etc.

12 - Hate It Here

13 - Walken

14 - I'm the Man Who Loves You

15 - Hummingbird

16 - On and On and On

2004 Show 9/20/04- don't know what got broadcast or not...anyone else? Though the songs with ** I've found video of, so I know they were broadcast numbers...

01 - Muzzle Of Bees**

02 - Company In My Back

03 - Hummingbird

04 - Hell is Chrome**

05 - Handshake Drugs

06 - At Least That's What You Said**

07 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

08 - Shot in the Arm

09 - Jesus, Etc.

10 - Ashes of American Flags**

11 - The Late Greats

12 - I'm the Man Who Loves You

13 - I'm A Wheel**

14 - Theologians

15 - Poor Places

16 - Spiders (Kidsmoke)

I'm totally confused about the 1999 performance...the video on youtube says it's from that show, and it sure looks like ACL, but both Wilcobase & their official website only list 5 songs as having been performed?

** in 2004 they also played the Austin City Limits Festival 9/19/04- wonder if this got filmed too?

**in 2007 they also played the Austin City Limits Festival on 9/16/07- wonder if this got filmed too?

Oops- thanks bbop...Here's the corrected juxtaposition of full setlist played at taping & broadcast setlist

And here is the correct setlist...

1-One Sunday Morning>

2-Poor Places>

3-Art Of Almost

4-I Might

5-Black Moon

IATTBYH>

6-One Wing

7-Bull Black Nova

8-Radio Cure

9-Shouldn't Be Ashamed

10-Open Mind

11-Born Alone

12-Jesus, etc.

13-Capitol City

14-War On War

15-Dawned On Me

16-Hummingbird

------------------------

17-Whole Love

18-Impossible Germany

19-Far, Far Away

20-The Late Greats

21-Heavy Metal Drummer

22-Cruel To Be Kind [Nick Lowe] (w/Nick Lowe on acoustic guitar and lead vocals)

And the Broadcast setlist again:

Broadcast Show Setlist for 2012 Episode:

1-Art of Almost

2-Poor Places

3-Bull Black Nova

4-Open Mind

5-Born Alone

6-One Wing

7-Black Moon

8-War on War

9-Far, Far Away

10-Dawned on Me