Rest in Peace, Levon

I know this is already being discussed in the thread titled "The Band", but I thought it deserved to be its own thread.

Levon Helm passed away peacefully today. What a huge loss for music, and for all his legions of fans. Rest in peace, Levon.

dsc01140vp.jpg

I took this at last June's Solid Sound Festival. So very glad I got to see him perform! Such joy in the music, and in him. I'll remember that performance for my whole life.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great shot. Levon had an amazing smile.

I posted this over in The Band thread. I'm copying it here.

Going to one of Levon's Midnight Rambles is one of the musical highlights of my life. A truly amazing experience.

Seeing him perform with Wilco at Solid Sound last year was pretty awesome too.

There is something so special about Levon. He'll be deeply missed.

Very saddened by this. I was super thrilled that i was finally able to make it to a midnight ramble in December, Dawes were there as were Jackson Browne, Donald Faigen, and Garth Hudson showed up too. Was a fantastic night of music that i'll never forget. He brought some wonderful songs and music into this world, and i think i've been watching this video on repeat all day, such a strong performance:

RIP Levon, you'll be sorely missed

I'm just remembering something about Levon's performance at Solid Sound last summer. He didn't sing much, he was losing his voice but he still tried to belt it out and when he couldn't quite do it his daughter Amy would step in and join him...and it was so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes.

Not unexpected, but still very sad.

An authentic voice of rock music has been stilled. A master drummer is gone.

Sleep well brother.

Levon only made it to Southern California once since his "comeback." Never forget that night, at the Greek Theatre in LA in August 2010, sitting on the edge of my seat, giddy with excitement. During a break between songs, a fan yelled out "LEVON...YOU...ARE...MY...FAVORITE...DRUMMER...EVER." It was audible to the entire crowd, got a great laugh, and I think the sentiment rang true to all those in attendance. Lots of highlights from that show: Ophelia, Shape I'm In, The Mountain w/Steve Earle (although I would've preferred Levon sang it), Levon's mandolin playing and dirty dancing during Deep Elem Blues w/Jim Keltner on drums, a soul stirring Blind Willie McTell, Harry Dean Stanton joining in on the Weight and I Shall Be Released. Shit, pretty much everything. Is there any musician and figure so univerally beloved by all? In remembering Levon, I'm reminded of what Dylan said about Garcia following his passing, and think it rings true for Levon as well. Fuck.

"There's no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don't think any eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great, much more than a superb musician, with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He's the very spirit personified of whatever is Muddy River country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn't only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he'll ever know. There's a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There's no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep."

albums don't get much more perfect than big pink and the band. those 90s albums were fun too,

loved seeing levon in movies. i could listen to the dude read the phonebook. he talked like he drummed. he just had that thing.

RIP brother. may richard and rick meet you with open arms in the big sky.

Very saddened by this. More than by the death of other musicians or heroes that I can recall. It was not only his music, awesome as it was, but by his smile, his enthusiasm, emotion....wore his humanness on his sleeve for the world to see...

This death may have affected more people I know than any other musician in recent memory (Alex Chilton was up there..). It is a sad day. Saw Levon with Rick Danko play to a handful of fans many years ago at the club that became Metro. They were drunk as could be and Dave Bromberg showed up to join the party.

LouieB