Wilco - 7/8/12 Geneva, IL (Fifth Third Bank Ballpark)

Look for my review on Hidden Track.

Wilco

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fifth Third Bank Ballpark

Geneva, IL

Set

Dawned on Me

War on War

I Might

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

Box Full of Letters

Handshake Drugs

Spiders (Kidsmoke) - Acoustic Version

Impossible Germany

Born Alone

Laminated Cat - Electric Version

Side with the Seeds

Say You Miss Me

Candyfloss

Jesus, Etc. w/ Andrew Bird

Hate it Here

Whole Love

I'm Always in Love

Heavy Metal Drummer

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Encore 1

Via Chicago

Art of Almost

Standing O

A Shot in the Arm

Encore 2

California Stars w/ Andrew Bird

The Late Greats

Hoodoo Voodoo w/ Wilco crew member Josh on cowbell

Say You Miss Me must've been a request, I've requested it before and it didn't get played, lucky you guys!

I also like the looks of War On War, Handshake Drugs and Box Full Of Letters early in the set, gets things rocking a little earlier.

Fun, beautiful(weather-wise) day/night. Fireworks were cool, too.

We stayed towards the back of the field (had two kids with me) - it was nice that it was not packed towards the back. Kane County did a nice job with traffic flow at the end of the night, for us at least. We parked in the "Preferred" lot and were out of there in about 3 minutes - I was a bit worried that there was going to be some type of bottleneck.

After seeing 3 of the Chicago shows last year - it was nice just to relax with the family and listen to the music in the open space. We didn't decide to go until the day before the show - glad we decided to go.

We also were in the back on Jeff / Nels side of the board. The band seemed really pumped - great show overall. Got there at 7:00 - no chance of getting close. This was the first show in many that i was about 90 rows back - the sound was fantastic. They should make this an annual occurrence...

The sound was good towards the back. Tweedy did seem very appreciative towards the crowd.

At the beginning of the last encore we headed up towards the top of the hill (adjacent to the parking lot) that overlooked the whole field/park - it was a rather impressive site.

The fireworks were being lit off on the same side of as the hill - which was cool.

Great show. My friends and I arrived at 2:30 to ensure we were right at the front; well worth the wait.

That's the closest I've been to seeing Nels on stage, and he's something else. My favorite moment was during California Stars: Nels gestured to Andrew Bird to take it away on the violin. In fact, the entire band seemed to step back to let Bird have the light. It seemed genuine and generous, "we might be the best live band around, but we'd really like to hear you play the violin." Lovely moment on a great night.

I was there as well. It should be noted that this was the largest crowd Wilco has ever played before where they were the headliner and it was PACKED. Not an intimate show, but a real full on outdoor show, heavy on the hits and it sounded good. I sat back in the grandstand and endured the sun for four or so hours. The Congregation was pretty good, although I think they are probably better in a club. Andrew Bird was in full rock mode and did a nice job. Wilco was totally pumped as was the crowd. It was a more suburban crowd than usual I think, with alot of milling around much of the time, particularly during the opening acts, but folks settled own more during Wilco. I must admit I bugged out after the second encore to get the hell out of there, but it the second encore sounded good on XRT.

As usual the light show was good as well. Which was good because the band members were about an inch tall from where I was sitting, but for a change I was glad to be sitting. The folks in the seats dug the show alot. it was an awesome night in the true sense of the word. Oh yea, if you did not hear this on WXRT, try and find a copy, because the revamped Spiders was the revelation of the night. For all those who have been complaining about the krautrock version all these years, that is gone. Great stuff.

LoueiB

Check the In A Future Age section of Via Chicago.

Thanks. Looks like I my dimeadozen account is no longer active. Will have to mess with that afterwork.

Too bad Andrew Bird was not recorded by WXRT. His set was a little looser than previous Bird shows I've seen but sounded great nonetheless.

With the exception of a few dear friends being absent :hmm , last night's show was nearly perfect. The change-up in the setlist was nice (for those interested in these kinds of things, Red Eyed/Got You and Dreamer were cut from the original setlist), the opening acts were great, the band seemed relaxed and happy, and the crowd was appreciative. Candyfloss! Plus the beautiful acoustic Spiders, Laminated Cat with wicked lighting, and so many others. The time passed much, much too quickly.

I'm well past believing I'm objective when it comes to this band, but we brought along a friend and avid music lover for whom this was his third Wilco show (and first GA). After the show, while waiting for the lots to clear out, we rehashed the night and he kept coming back to the incredible talent of each of the band members and the exceptional rock show they put on for the audience. It was nice to listen to someone with "fresh" ears get as excited about a band you love as you do. :)

Lou--you said it perfectly: ABird was in full rock mode, and it was fantastic. I hadn't heard him live in a couple of years, and last night's set made me grateful I snagged a couple of tickets for Madison in September. Anyone know anything about his new bass player? Great harmonies!

I fear it will be much too far down the road before I see many of you again, but until then... :cheers (

I was sitting in front of a couple dorks in the stands. One asked if Bird was playing ukelele and the other guy kept yelling for Pot Kettle Black (like Wilco could hear him from 150 yards away.

I think Bird does whatever he does when he does it, but I suspect he is touring more with a band for this tour.

LouieB

With the exception of a few dear friends being absent :hmm , last night's show was nearly perfect. The change-up in the setlist was nice (for those interested in these kinds of things, Red Eyed/Got You and Dreamer were cut from the original setlist), the opening acts were great, the band seemed relaxed and happy, and the crowd was appreciative. Candyfloss! Plus the beautiful acoustic Spiders, Laminated Cat with wicked lighting, and so many others. The time passed much, much too quickly.

I'm well past believing I'm objective when it comes to this band, but we brought along a friend and avid music lover for whom this was his third Wilco show (and first GA). After the show, while waiting for the lots to clear out, we rehashed the night and he kept coming back to the incredible talent of each of the band members and the exceptional rock show they put on for the audience. It was nice to listen to someone with "fresh" ears get as excited about a band you love as you do. :)

Lou--you said it perfectly: ABird was in full rock mode, and it was fantastic. I hadn't heard him live in a couple of years, and last night's set made me grateful I snagged a couple of tickets for Madison in September. Anyone know anything about his new bass player? Great harmonies!

I fear it will be much too far down the road before I see many of you again, but until then... :cheers (

Really missed seeing everyone, but it sounds like it was a splendid evening. Say You Miss Me sounded great on the radio, so whoever was responsible for that inclusion on the setlist...thanks. ;)

Too bad about Red-Eyed/I Got You and especially Dreamer, but after all, there were fireworks to set off! And speaking of, were they Wilco-themed, as I thought was supposed to be the case? And if so, what made them so? I kept picturing, like, each of the band members' faces emerging in colored lights or various Wilco "logos" or something... :lol

Re: Bird's "new" bass player, his name is Alan Hampton and it looks like he's a pretty busy singer-songwriter in his own right...with a bit of a Nels-ian knack for collaboration. Not sure if there had been any previous connection between him and Andrew, but he seems like as good a fill-in/replacement for Mike Lewis as Andrew could probably find. Anyway, check out his personal site for more info.

Oh, and how was the Congregation? I definitely was hoping to check them out...

Oh, and how was the Congregation? I definitely was hoping to check them out...

P, you were missed! I enjoyed the Congregation. Their set was a nice way to start things off: high energy, soulful vocalist, and excellent horns. They did a funky cover of "I Wanna Be Your Dog," which was a lot of fun. I wonder if, had they been touring with Wilco for a longer stretch, they would have tried to figure out a way to bring the horns in on a Wilco song or two. I also thoroughly enjoyed Andrew Bird's set. You might not expect it based strictly on albums, but in my experience he's always been awesome at outdoor festival-type shows. It was great hearing "Anonanimal" for the first time in awhile.

I had a fantastic time yesterday. Sure, it was ridiculously hot in the sun (though it could have been worse) but somehow that just added to the experience. Someone pointed out to me that the PA for last night's show was top-of-the-line, and I think that it was clear throughout the show. Everything sounded great, the band seemed to be in a good mood, and the crowd was happy and into it. As the sun started going down, I was reminded of how much I really enjoy outdoor summer shows. (Great timing for "Side with the Seeds"!) I'm glad Andrew joined the band for a couple of songs - maybe next time for "Dreamer."

The fireworks weren't Wilco themed ... I don't think that was part of the advertised package for this show, although I understand the stadium has had Wilco-themed fireworks in the past. I believe that involves the use of Wilco music, but band faces or logos would surely take it to the next level! :lol The fireworks really were an excellent capper for the night, regardless. Well, besides Steak and Shake.

After the show, while waiting for the lots to clear out, we rehashed the night and he kept coming back to the incredible talent of each of the band members and the exceptional rock show they put on for the audience. It was nice to listen to someone with "fresh" ears get as excited about a band you love as you do. :)

Tell him I expect him to stand on his drum stool during Auntie Ebb's next performance.

Really enjoyed the show last night. Wow, what a gorgeous night for an outdoor summer concert! The setlist was very heavy on "rocking out" tunes. I know it's hard to make quieter ballads work in a big outdoor venue like that, but I did miss some of my favorites. Loved the inclusion of the Late Greats at the end there, and loved hearing Jesus etc. with Bird. I'm always impressed with the musicianship of these guys. They are pros.

The venue was actually gorgeous and the sound was phenomenal for a place that just doesn't host concerts (or frankly, any event) of this magnitude. The parking/traffic situation was somewhat hellacious, as some 15 year old kids were "directing traffic" which bizarrely consisted of blocking cars from getting out of our section. There was lots of yelling, swearing, and honking, and at one point a guy got out of his car and I thought there was gonna be a rumble. Luckily the kids got out of the way and we got out of there about 45 min after the show ended.

Next up, Essex Junction, VT in 3 weeks!

Someone pointed out to me that the PA for last night's show was top-of-the-line, and I think that it was clear throughout the show. Everything sounded great,

I noticed the same thing both years at Solid Sound. Standing out in Joe's Field, I thought the PA was noticeably great. Crystal clear sound out in the field at night.

Just reading all you guys' rave reviews of last night is making me so excited for my Wilco trifecta next week! (Wolf Trap x 2 + Charlottesville = THE BEST WEEK OF THE YEAR!!!) :hyper

These mid-summer setlists are crazy good. And if they play Muzzle of Bees next week, it will be all the more golden. Fingers crossed!

I kept picturing, like, each of the band members' faces emerging in colored lights or various Wilco "logos" or something... :lol

HA!

Re: Bird's "new" bass player, his name is Alan Hampton and it looks like he's a pretty busy singer-songwriter in his own right...with a bit of a Nels-ian knack for collaboration. Not sure if there had been any previous connection between him and Andrew, but he seems like as good a fill-in/replacement for Mike Lewis as Andrew could probably find. Anyway, check out his personal site for more info.

Thank you! God, you really deliver, P. (twss)

Tell him I expect him to stand on his drum stool during Auntie Ebb's next performance.

Oh, good call!

One other thing: they sound checked "In The Street" (aka the theme from That 70s Show... ;) ), and John sounded fantastic. He was also a little higher in the mix than usual last night, and it was great.

Really missed seeing everyone, but it sounds like it was a splendid evening. Say You Miss Me sounded great on the radio, so whoever was responsible for that inclusion on the setlist...thanks. ;)

Too bad about Red-Eyed/I Got You and especially Dreamer, but after all, there were fireworks to set off!

I voted for Dreamer again, glad to see it had a chance :thumbup I'm hoping its a semi regular closer for a while! As noted the sound was to be commended :worship and the set list was nicely crafted. We're all in for many memorable nights this summer!

A Great Show. We drove down from Mid Michigan and got in line early and ended up roughly 3 rows back on Nels side. Took a bit of adjustment for my 17 year old daughter and I to relax and enjoy the show.

Just a few hints for concert goers:

1.Smoking is a tough habit and being cooped up for hours is along time to go with out a cig but at least dont blow smoke into peoples faces.

2.If you tall, I mean 6'6" dont feel the need to migrate looking for a better view... you already have a great view and now my 5'3" daughter doesnt. At least be aware of your surroundings and ask people that move in front of if you are blocking thier view.... for instance since I tower at 5'7" I would extend that courtesy to 3rd graders.

3. If you are cute drunk girl in a sun dress do not assume your looks will allow you to run roughshod over people who showed up early to stake thier claim to their piece of land. I am sorry your rudeness brought forth a bit of my middle aged wrath. Your paprents aparently had no luck in teaching you about interpersonal relations so I felt it was my duty to help you with anthough lesson .. consider it tough love.

The show truly was a great show that gave me such hope for music and for most of humanity.

Thanks Kane County Cougars and Wilco for doing this incredible event. I hope to someday be able to bring Wilco to play at the Minor League Stadium I work at.