Wilco - The Laptop Era

Hi - sorry if this has been discussed before.

Does anyone remember the period just after Leroy left the band when they were down to a 4 piece and Jeff was supposedly using a laptop (at his feet?) presumably for some of the noise/fx.

I wonder if anyone can provide more info about what the laptop was actually used for etc?

I have a few old recordings of that era and really like the sparse sound.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, I meant when Jay left not Leroy.

I definitely remember reading something about Jeff having a laptop at his feet at some stage..

A great period when Jeff's guitar playing was the focus.

Yes, during the late 2001 tour when it was just Jeff/Leroy/John/Glenn. Jeff had a MacBook in his rig, Leroy had a few samplers in his equipment also.

--Mike

IMO, best tour they did

There was certainly a magic in those shows with all the space in the songs, it's probably the closest Wilco has ever gotten to sounding like Jeff's solo material (which I would speculate is why they appeal to us).

I got into Wilco shortly after A Ghost Is Born was released, so I missed this lineup. Any good boots or footage from this four piece era? Also, why did Leroy leave the band?

In one very odd sense, it is probably a good thing that Leroy left the band.

Three conspicuously balding guys in a band is probably a little more than overkill.

Saw that tour in west palm beach. Only concert I ever went to myself. Wife wanted to go to MNF dolphins. So I drove 1.5 hours. First full wilco show. Carefree theatre. Like an old movie theatre. Great show but it was before I recorded shows and never heard the show. I remember when they encores there was nowhere to go so they opened the side door and just hung out for second

As stated above, 10-5-2001 is great. Also 11-28 (I believe in Seattle) as well as the show at the 930 in DC that year. Most of the stuff on Owl & Bear from that tour is great quality, although the set lists from those shows are nearly identical. Only so many tunes the four-piece could work up for a tour.

I went to a show at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence 4-24-2002 when they were still a 4 piece with Leroy. I believe it was the first show following YHF's proper release. They opened with Not for the Season, which I had never heard until that point. Wow - I have never been blown away hearing a song for the first time in concert like I was with that tune. Raw is the best way to describe it, with Jeff slashing at his guitar and Glenn playing a tribal beat. The rest of the night they focussed mostly on YHF tunes, describing the new album in between song banter as a "hard worker". It must have been cathartic for the band to finally see the album released.

I went to a show at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence 4-24-2002 when they were still a 4 piece with Leroy. I believe it was the first show following YHF's proper release. They opened with Not for the Season, which I had never heard until that point. Wow - I have never been blown away hearing a song for the first time in concert like I was with that tune. Raw is the best way to describe it, with Jeff slashing at his guitar and Glenn playing a tribal beat. The rest of the night they focussed mostly on YHF tunes, describing the new album in between song banter as a "hard worker". It must have been cathartic for the band to finally see the album released.

Yes - I like that rawness. Stripping everything down with a slight feeling that "anything could happen/it could fall apart at any minute".

Leroy was great in Wilco.

(ps. I love your avatar BillLee!)

In one very odd sense, it is probably a good thing that Leroy left the band.

Three conspicuously balding guys in a band is probably a little more than overkill.

Losing Leroy was not a good thing. He had a versatility that is unlike Pat. I like Pat, and the band sounds great. I just enjoyed that Leroy had a swing (and space) in his playing that I really liked. I also found him to be incredibly unselfish as a musician. Also, without Cline, it put the focus on Jeff's guitar (as mentioned above). I saw them after they added Mike ( Asheville 2003), and I enjoyed it immensely. My favorite show of all the times I have seen them play going back to 95.

Yes - I like that rawness. Stripping everything down with a slight feeling that "anything could happen/it could fall apart at any minute".

Leroy was great in Wilco.

I agree 100%. There was more risk, and a freedom that I don't hear in the live shows as much anymore. They sound so tight and polished now (caught night one at the Ryman). They sound great!!! It has the sound of a band of studio musicians. Not that there is anything wrong with that...... :)

Did Pat and Nels join at the same time or were there shows with one before the other? I think I've grown so accustomed to these songs with the arrangements of the current lineup that its very interesting to go back to some of the boots from the four piece period, or even after Mike joined. I love the current lineup, but I'm also a big fan of Tweedy's guitar playing and the stripped down sound from that era.

Also, how did Nels and Pat join? I realize there was a connection to Pat from the Autumn Defense, but I've always been curious how Nels hooked up with Wilco.

Nels was playing with Carla Bozulich, opening for Wilco and promoting their Red Headed Stranger album. If I recall, Carla and Nels joined Wilco a couple of times on that tour (Jeff and Carla doing a duet on Forget the Flowers).

I'm guessing the other Wilcos were familiar with Nels' work before that, but if I recall correctly, it was immediately following that tour that Nels was asked to join.

I sometimes feel like such an uncritical fangirl but I have to say I also miss the rawness and sense that something really unexpected could happen. They are so perfect right now and everyone in the band is such a master at what they do. It sounds like an odd complaint ("You're just too awesome!") but I think there's something to that. Especially given the alternative/punk ashes from which they have arisen like a phoenix, etc.

There's no one in the band I wouldn't miss if there were to be a shakeup, but human nature being what it is, there probably will be a shakeup at some point, and it probably won't be a bad thing.

On the last two proper shows for the YHF tour on 9/19/2003 and 9/20/2003, both Nels and Pat guested on a few tunes. Handshake Drugs in particular, Nels played guitar, Pat played extra percussion near Glenn's rig. They both came into the band after Ghost was recorded. Their first shows are the 5/19 and 5/20/2004 gigs at Otto's in Dekalb. All four shows are available in the Wilco archive on Owl and Bear.

I'm partial to the 12/5/2001 Los Angeles show from the four piece, and all of the Filmore run (parts of which were filmed for the I Am Trying To Break Your Heart documentary) are worth seeking out.

--Mike