• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passenger from Normal, IL '78 is pretty smoking, too, I think.  To my ears its a well played, solid first set.  Phil and Jerry are both playing articulately,  Its got good energy.  I don't think as highly of that version of Music Never Stopped (better ones in May of '77 and although different, I like how the song was played in 1985, too).  Spring of '78 had a bunch of good shows and I think this is one of them.  I'm more pleased with this Dave's Pick than most of his other picks.

You guys cut them a lot of slack. :lol

However, as I mentioned above, the Scarlet > Fire is a definite keeper. Those cymbals that were pretty much absent throughout the first set make a welcome appearance, and Jerry is just on fire (no pun intended) through Scarlet and, especially, Fire.

I felt ripped off until I got to the second disc. As short as it is, it made the set worth buying, IMHO.

Has anyone else preordered Sunshine Daydream? I'm pretty bummed that it is once again available for 33 bucks on Amazon, with free shipping. That means I paid dead.net an additional $20 for

1) a booklet

2) a special documentary with interviews with Mountain Girl and Wavy Gravy

If I could cancel and then order it from Amazon instead, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Oh well...lesson learned.

David Nelson is WAY up on my list of musical heroes - Jerry's best man at his first wedding, 'partner-in-crime' since the age of 15, Jerry's buddy who took LSD with him for their first time, etc. He's a fucking American treasure.

Wow, I didn't know or remember all that about David Nelson and Jerry.  I think you can really hear all that in David Nelson Band, so much simpatico.

Passenger from Normal, IL '78 is pretty smoking, too, I think.  To my ears its a well played, solid first set.  Phil and Jerry are both playing articulately,  Its got good energy.  I don't think as highly of that version of Music Never Stopped (better ones in May of '77 and although different, I like how the song was played in 1985, too).  Spring of '78 had a bunch of good shows and I think this is one of them.  I'm more pleased with this Dave's Pick than most of his other picks.

I need to get this, I was there. Wonder if its still available. They are killing me, releasing shows I was at. Had to buy the May '77 box 'cause I was at the St. Louis show. And I bought Sunshine Daydream just because its Sunshine Daydream. Getting expensive.

Hell, I thought set 1 was pretty good. Stock, but pretty nice. 

I think every era has gems to be found. Even the Vince years - the Road Trips from Cal Expo (5/26/93) has a Playin' that must be hears to be believed. And the 6/28/92 show was a Top 10 all time in shows I saw (out of about 75). Hell, the 1st set from that night was one of the best 1st sets I ever personally saw.

Finally got around to watching that clip of exhuberant Jerry and it put an ear to ear smile on my face. Thanks Lammy!

Spent a portion of time on the road today listening to a good chunk of the first set from 8/10/82. Jerry's voice is not what it was in the 70s, but it's not bad, and the band is really tight! Really needed a dose of Brent-era Dead after absorbing so much 70s material lately.

A thought occurred to me while I was driving: are there songs that some of you guys don't like, but are generally well-liked and/or considered classic? And conversely, are there songs that are not that well-regarded by many, but that you really like?

For me: Tennessee Jed. The more times I hear it, the less I like it. I used to like it, but now...not so much. Just one moronic verse after another. It's funny when you first hear it, but after about a hundred times, it's annoying, and almost always overlong.

On the plus side: I actually like Day Job. It's kind of rare, and it's never too long. Also, Tons of Steel. I know I'm not alone in that one.

Spent a portion of time on the road today listening to a good chunk of the first set from 8/10/82. Jerry's voice is not what it was in the 70s, but it's not bad, and the band is really tight! Really needed a dose of Brent-era Dead after absorbing so much 70s material lately.

A thought occurred to me while I was driving: are there songs that some of you guys don't like, but are generally well-liked and/or considered classic? And conversely, are there songs that are not that well-regarded by many, but that you really like?

For me: Tennessee Jed. The more times I hear it, the less I like it. I used to like it, but now...not so much. Just one moronic verse after another. It's funny when you first hear it, but after about a hundred times, it's annoying, and almost always overlong.

On the plus side: I actually like Day Job. It's kind of rare, and it's never too long. Also, Tons of Steel. I know I'm not alone in that one.

In my "don't like but probably considered classics" category: Tennessee Jed, Ramble on Rose, Roses. Used to love the first two years ago, but now they are just too slow and don't really go anywhere. Always skip right by them.

For the second category, there's some Brent song that fits the bill, but I can't even think of its name right now.

I think Tons Of Steel is Brent's best song with the Dead.  I love Phil's backing vocals on that, Brent and Phil's voices were a pretty good and probably underappreciated blend. Gimme Some Lovin' is another example.  I like a lot of Brent's songs, especially his early ones like Easy To Love You, Good Times Blues. Although, I really dislike I Will Take You Home.  Its a sweet sentiment, but not a song I want to hear at a concert.

I I like a lot of Brent's songs, especially his early ones like Easy To Love You, Good Times Blues. Although, I really dislike I Will Take You Home.  Its a sweet sentiment, but not a song I want to hear at a concert.

I've always liked the studio versions of Easy to Love You and Far From Me. Never have found live versions that surpassed them, which is unusual with the Dead.

Built To Last was the rare Garcia/Hunter tune that seemed kind of pedestrian to me.

And I don't ever really need to hear Mexicali again.

Listened to this one while caulking my windows last Saturday afternoon......the Dancin'--->Franklins is a whopper!

10/27/79
Cape Cod Coliseum - South Yarmouth, MA

Set 1:
Jack Straw
Candyman
Me And My Uncle
Big River
Brown-Eyed Women
Easy To Love You
New Minglewood Blues
Stagger Lee
Lost Sailor
Saint Of Circumstance
Deal

Set 2:
Dancin' In The Streets
Franklin's Tower
He's Gone
Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) Jam
The Other One
Drums
Not Fade Away
Black Peter
Around And Around

Encore:
One More Saturday Night

Listened to that Yarmouth show as well on Saturday!

I really like Far From Me live, as well as Easy to Love You. Built to Last I enjoy a lot, as well. 

Big fan of LLR, a well, which seems to be pretty disregarded by a lot of heads.

Seconded.

If you listen to too many early versions, it can seem kind of wimpy/cheesy. Bobby developed more as a singer throughout the 70s, and by the time the 80s rolled around, this could be a monster, with beautiful guitar work by Jerry as well.

Listened to that Yarmouth show as well on Saturday!

I really like Far From Me live, as well as Easy to Love You. Built to Last I enjoy a lot, as well. 

Were you caulking your windows? If so, that'd be really really weird.

In that recording, you could really hear how "green" Brents voice is. During Dancin', its almost painful. Kinda highpitched and screechy but his organ work more than makes up for it.

Listened to this one while caulking my windows last Saturday afternoon......the Dancin'--->Franklins is a whopper!

10/27/79

Cape Cod Coliseum - South Yarmouth, MA

Set 1:

Jack Straw

Candyman

Me And My Uncle

Big River

Brown-Eyed Women

Easy To Love You

New Minglewood Blues

Stagger Lee

Lost Sailor

Saint Of Circumstance

Deal

Set 2:

Dancin' In The Streets

Franklin's Tower

He's Gone

Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) Jam

The Other One

Drums

Not Fade Away

Black Peter

Around And Around

Encore:

One More Saturday Night

I was at that show! I had moved to Boston in August '79. Cops surrounded our car in the parking lot, I was able to gracefully exit and slink away. We all made it inside for a truly memorable show. The Dancin>Franklins is hall of fame material. I will have to play this tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me :)

I need to get this, I was there. Wonder if its still available. They are killing me, releasing shows I was at. Had to buy the May '77 box 'cause I was at the St. Louis show. And I bought Sunshine Daydream just because its Sunshine Daydream. Getting expensive.

i know they are trying to make money, but i really wish they'd just set up a download site for all these special releases and then maybe a separate download for artwork or a book.  then again, i guess i can stream anything over at archive, so i see the unique value of these sets.  

it's pure capitalism, i know...but all these shows were/are our shows, according to jerry.  now they are selling them back to us.  i'm sure this has been discussed to death, but it's just been on my mind lately.  the other thing is that archive.org, like the rest of streaming, is overwhelming.  i find my attention span is waning.  if the eyes is too fast, it's so easy to skip ahead, or just go to another show in a split second.  how did i get this way?  hell, the thing i always loved about GD is the long haul of the entire trip.  oh well.

Seconded.

If you listen to too many early versions, it can seem kind of wimpy/cheesy. Bobby developed more as a singer throughout the 70s, and by the time the 80s rolled around, this could be a monster, with beautiful guitar work by Jerry as well.

I really love that version of LL Rain without a net.  just so huge!