• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hipster tag has become ridiculous.  You're a hipster if you drink PBR, but you're also a hipster if you're into craft beers.  Or if you're into wine.  Or fancy cocktails with obscure ingredients.  It's become a meaningless tag that applies to anyone younger than you who wears clothes or eyeglasses different than your own. 

don't forget Fixie Bikes   :twitchsmile

well there's definitely a specific phenotype among the species.

poorly-thought out tattoos

bandana as hair accessory

mustache

skinny jeans (regardless of body type)

zany glasses

Aside from the skinny jeans, that describes most of the rural hill people I see when I go to he mountains of north Georgia.

I drink PBR and drive a minivan that sports a orange "check engine" light on the dash. I also look a little bit like George W Bush (much to my horror).

Some of the old definitions of hipster on Urban Dictionary are very, very funny.

Referring to young people of around 18-30 years of age, who drink cheap beer (most often Pabst Blue Ribbon, on occasion Budweiser), smoke Parliaments, Lucky Strikes or hard to obtain foreign cigarettes (such as Gauloises) and take recreational drugs, coke being the most popular. Use a great deal of sarcasm, claim to be ironic. Are usually less than 5% body fat, drink copious amounts of coffee and eat children's cereal. Listen to Indie Rock, rely heavily on Pitchfork Media to tell them what's cool.

A hipster is someone who is smart enough to talk about philosophy, music, politics, art, etc. with you all day long, but not smart enough to see how big of a tool s/he is. The only sure fire way to tell if someone you're talking to is, in fact, a hipster is to ask them "are you a hipster?". If they respond no, and turn their cassette player back on, you can be sure you're dealing with a hipster.

Though early women evolved to prefer muscular, athletic, confident, secure men, hipsters are convinced that men who try to achieve these characteristics and their female admirers are doing so because they lack the intellectual capacity to realize that pale, sickly men with a smug attitude make the best partners.

Listens to bands that you have never heard of. Has hairstyle that can only be described as "complicated." (Most likely achieved by a minimum of one week not washing it.) Probably tattooed. Maybe gay. Definitely cooler than you. Reads Black Book, Nylon, and the Styles section of the New York Times. Drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon. Often. Complains. Always denies being a hipster. Hates the word. Probably living off parents money - and spends a great deal of it to look like they don't have any.

And finally…

Hipsters are too cool for Urban Dictionary. You probably don't know what they use because it's underground.

I actually bought this on the strength of the recommendations here...

Good Call.

Great!

If you get a chance to see him, it is one amazing show, a musical genius at the top of his game.

I was lucky enough to catch 2 of the NXNE showcases at the Silver Dollar. Got up close the first night and managed to not get kicked in the head by the crowd surfers. Met the daughter's new boyfriend the next day and recognized him as somebody who's leg I had grabbed and pushed away from the previous night. Both nights were excellent fun.

going backwards to a smattering of Ty Segall cds and liking what I'm hearing. Meant to try them out last year and forgot.

Also got the MK 1, but have not had a chance to listen. Same with Richard Buckner and Neko Case. slow slow slow.

I did listen a lot to John Murry - the Graceless Age and it will probably be top 5 stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP0b3a2JkgI

is this old or new Tame Impala? because this whole thing is great

That's the most recent album.   EDIT:  I listened to that link today on headphones and I have to say that I like more of it than I remembered from the few times I've listenied at home.  I don't like the first song or Feels Like We Always Go Backwards, but the rest are either pretty good or excellent.  Something about the vocals is a bit grating to me at times. I can't pinpoint why, exactly.  Nevertheless, there's a lot of good music on there, and some inventive studio trickery, so I'll give them more credit than I previously offered.

The new Okkervil River is very nice also.

Yes it is! I've been listening to it a lot this past week.

I also recommend:

Gregory Alan Isakov - Weatherman

Milk Carton Kids - The Ash & Clay

Marty Marquis (of Blitzen Trapper) - Coronal Mass Vernacular

Speaking of Blitzen Trapper, their new one will be out in a couple of weeks. I expect that one to make my list.

Huh, new Mazzy Star out, and a tour too!
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/sep/16/mazzy-star-seasons-day-album-stream

I am totally digging the new Neko Case. Finally got the new Richard Thompson. I like the 2nd half of the album much better than the first half.

Fans of Ty Segall here but no mentions of The Men? New Moon is such a great garage rock album I think, raw, soulful, what a rush to listen to it. 

Yeah. I'm slow on new garage band recommendations on purpose. Lotsa chaff, little wheat, so I don't jump on board for a year or two (or by the time the band has broken up in some terrible stage brawl)

thanks, have heard great things about the Men and the Mannequin Men. Got confused as to which to look up. Cheers.

excellent, great to hear. 

if Glenn comes to play near your town, definitely go see him. he's a got a very natural way of telling stories about the songs he's written, and the playing is superb. 

Is this what you're referring to, the Radiolab tour coming to Boston?  I didn't see On Fillmore at SS, don't know much about this, but Glenn being my favorite drummer I'll show up.

http://www.radiolab.org/live/

Our new live tour is coming to a city near you this fall!

Cataclysmic destruction. Surprising survival. In this new live stage performance, Radiolab turns its gaze to the topic of endings, both blazingly fast and agonizingly slow. With their signature blend of storytelling, science, and music, hosts Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich romp through hundreds of millions of years of history to arrive at the end, again and again. We've got a raucous bunch of comedians joining the party, with a different one for each show, including: Reggie Watts, Patton Oswalt, Simon Amstell, Ophira Eisenberg and Kurt Braunohler. With a cinematic live score created before your eyes by On Fillmore and Noveller, the evening will be a thought- provoking and laughter-inducing dance on the grave of our inevitable demise.