The American League is a mess - who knows where the White Sox could end up - though I am guessing not in the playoffs.

They are finally playing well, though - it's finally nice to be able to watch and root for them, without wanting to throw something.

The "after you make a catch, you have to be able to take the ball out of you glove with control" rule worked in our favor, tonight. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodgers acquire Mat Latos & Michael Morse from the Marlins. Hmm. Are they out of the Hamels sweepstakes?

If there was a VC like button, I would for the image above this post.

The question is will he be a 2 month or 3 month rental? I completely see this move as a 2016 fixture, but they're 2 GB in the Wild Card & 7GB in East. Price is also 7-0 at Rogers Centre. Kudos to Dombrowski for hanging by the telephone. Cespedes seems next to go & the market for him should be the crazy "trade" that fell apart last night. Mets were about to send Wilmer Flores & Zack Wheeler to Brewers for Carlos Gomez, but Mets were concerned about Gomez' hip. Flores was emotional as he was taken out of the game. It was a real roller coaster: you're going no actually you're staying.

I saw a tweet last night that said that Hamels rejected a trade to the Astros. I respect his decision to go to Texas, but I don't see them catching the Astros or Angels this year. And there's like 7 teams in front of them for the WC. Philly got a huge return for him.

It'll be interesting to see who got the better prospects in these 2 trades over the next several years.

Is Ben Cherington in a coma? Come on, Ben! Send Koji, Napoli and Pedroia somewhere. Mookie Betts was a 2B coming up. You did trade Rubby De La Rosa & Allen Webster for a year rental of Wade Milley who has admittedly been much better than the stiff known as Rick Porcello.

Do you like what they got for Price? We'll see how Daniel Norris turns out for Detroit.

3 aces in the rotation means nothing as we saw last year with the Tigers-Orioles ALDS. And let's not forget that the A's lost the Wild Card game with Jon Lester too. 

Oh, and K.C. traded Joe Blanton to Pittsburgh. 

Do you like what they got for Price? We'll see how Daniel Norris turns out for Detroit.

I suppose so. That they got anything at all is nice, since I've read that Price had no intention of staying in Detroit.

The Tigers have zero prospects in the Top 100 (according to this list). Norris is #25. So, that's something, I guess. Time will tell. But like I said, to get something at all, for a player that the Tigers weren't going to hold onto, is good. 

I saw a tweet last night that said that Hamels rejected a trade to the Astros. I respect his decision to go to Texas, but I don't see them catching the Astros or Angels this year. And there's like 7 teams in front of them for the WC. Philly got a huge return for him.

Nobody wants to live in Houston. Plus, Texas is looking at the next 2-3 years with this deal.

Yankees are getting OF/2B Dustin Ackley from Seattle. I'm surprised that Seattle hasn't unloaded a bit more.

Tigers trade Joakim Soria to Pirates for SS JaCoby Jones.

Brewers finally trade Carlos Gomez to Astros for 4 prospects (2 OF & 2 pitchers).

Reds send Mike Leake to Giants for a pair of minor leaguers.

Man it seems as though the Brewers are having a fire sale right now. 

The cubbies got Dan Harren, that seem like a marginally good pickup.  I am not sure on the players they gave up (a minor league inflielder and pitcher I think).  The Cubs are not on hook for much (if any money) and he will be an inning eater late in the season.  And who knows maybe the might flip him to the Dodgers or something. 

I'm hearing some noise down south that the Braves may make a push for Price during the offseason. I'll believe it when the ink is dry, but in the meantime I'll salivate over the possibility. 

On an unrelated note, I took in games in Oakland and San Francisco while in Northern California about a week ago. The Coliseum in Oakland is, well, sad. A team as consistently scrappy as the A's deserves a better venue. As for AT&T Park, that place is as close to ballpark perfection as I've ever seen.

In the replies to Jon Morosi's tweet, a lot of people pondered that he'll be heading somewhere else. 

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/628658996187152384

Well, obviously.

His contract was up at the end of the year. Ilitch probably made him his best offer, and Dombrowski probably turned it down, so Ilitch didn't want to wait until the season was over.

The news now is that he resigned. Take that for what you will. 

A very interesting turn of events in Detroit. He sold off a lot of big pieces and now he's gone. It'll be interesting to see where he gravitates to. 

From the Freep:

"I would like to thank Dave Dombrowski for his 14 years of service," Ilitch said in a released statement. "Together, we've enjoyed some success, but we're still in aggressive pursuit of our ultimate goal: to bring a World Series title to Detroit and Michigan. I've decided to release Dave from his contract in order to afford him the time to pursue other career opportunities. I feel this is the right time for the Tigers to move forward under new leadership."

The pieces that he got might bring Detroit a title. Or they obviously might not amount to nothing. 

One of the more bizarre business aspects of this sport. I know that a lot of people out here in Boston don't even mention Dan Duquette's name for their 2004 title, but he was responsible for a good portion of the important players for that team. 

Daniel Norris pitched very well on Sunday.