Thanks for the ballpark lists. I went onto my Maps App on my iPhone and started making some very early plans for making this a reality. I have it pretty good. I only need to go west and south. 

I wanted to chit chat about Lucchino leaving. I wanted to discuss Farrell's diagnosis. And I was shocked that Dombrowski was brought in already with Cherington stepping down. All of these seem linked to the above post with the exception of Farrell's health. One of the reasons why I chose not to discuss this was because who wants to hear about a last place Red Sox team while we're in the midst of this pennant chase. Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they failed to bring back Lester and that set the course for overspending in other areas and picking a grab bag of starting pitchers. I'm still convinced that Cherington was a puppet for the Sox owners. His moves don't seem consistent with the team ideology of Bill James. There was no need to sign both Hanley & Pablo, other than to keep fans happy after they cheapened their way out of pursuing Lester. They had an abundance of outfielders going into 2015. Victorino was traded mid season for a utility player and Allen Craig is in the Phantom Zone or some shit. Oh yeah! Daniel Nava was gobbled up by the Rays via DFA. Don't forget that the "70 million dollar man" Rusney Castillo was in AAA at the start of the year. They also traded Rubby De La Rosa (along with Allen Webster) for Wade Miley. De La Rosa has been having a great year with Arizona. Maybe it's from being in the NL West? I think they should have kept him either as Koji's successor or a solid 4th or 5th starter. Miley has been the best pitcher in these recent boneheaded moves. Not paying up for Andrew Miller in the offseason was also idiotic, considering the great return of Eduardo Rodriguez for Miller at the deadline. That would have been great to have them both. 

In order for fans to fall in love with Dombrowksi, he needs to get rid of what he sent to us for Yoenis Cespedes. I can't think of a worst trade or contract extension in my years as a baseball fan. This is what happens when you lowball your ace. I don't know where to point the finger on this one? Larry or Cherington? Eat his contract and ship him out of here. If they are planning on bringing a legit ace, how do you justify paying a number 2 or 3 starter (that's being nice) that type of money? Clay Buchholz should have been a school teacher because he always gets his summers off. Isn't it funny how he pitched better, once they completely had no chance of getting a Wild Card spot? And they didn't trade him?! Same with Koji. Buchholz doesn't have the makeup to be an ace. He's been too coddled around here. Kelly has some great stuff sometimes and maybe he'd be better off in the bullpen. Masterson was just paying almost $10 million for anyone to be in the number 5 slot. 

And if you do watch games on NESN, it's like Lester never even existed. Of course, they're going to bring him up with Farrell's recent diagnosis. 

I just don't want Dombrowski to come in and ship off all of the young talent. He can keep Pablo's weight in check, like he did with Prince Fielder. The team has been doing well in the past few weeks. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot wrap my head around the number of poor decisions made by the Red Sox front office over the past 13 months. It has been a remarkable run by Cherington/Lucchino/anyone else who helped make those decisions. I won't even get into not signing Lester and instead signing the pitchers they did get. How did the average fan know that Panda's weight would likely become more of a problem as he ages, and the Sox brass didn't? Panda's production was down each year for his last couple of years in SF. Fans knew that. How did the FO not? Everyone (and I mean everyone) who knows baseball knows that Hanley is not a team player. The Red Sox knew it years ago - that is why they traded him! It looks like Panda + Ramirez = Crawford + Gonzalez from 5 years ago. The Red Sox got lucky a few years back when they were able to trade Crawford/Gonzalez and free up $ to get players to help them win a World Series. Can the Sox find another LA Dodgers out there to take Panda and Hanley? Doubtful....

But what is really important in all of this? Farrell's diagnosis. He might not be the best manager out there, but he sure seems like a good guy, and he is really well-spoken. I hope he is ok after the treatment he has started.

no hitters are weird. theyre amazing to watch unfold (i was in dc for scherzers earlier this year. took my pirate fan dad for fathers day. gave him the choice between that game and the next days and he picked correct) but theyre ultimately so flukey its hard to give them too much merit. just look at some guys who have thrown them and some guys who havent. thats not to say a bad pitcher could throw one, but at the same time, a dominant one might never even come close. its really all a matter of some borderline calls, great defensive plays, bloop hits, etc.

but in a way i guess that combo of luck and skill makes it kinda the ultimate baseball thing. the innings in dc after i realized what was going on were unlike anything else ive ever experienced in person. it made every pitch matter in a game that was otherwise over y the 5th

Until last night I'd never heard of Mike Fiers. Wow. There really are a lot of great young pitchers and hitters in the game right now. 

As a Brewers fan, I've had the good fortune of watching Mike Fiers for several seasons.  Despite the ups and downs of his average pitching career, he's one of the easiest guys to root for.  Plus, he often managed to perform above expectations given his skill set.  I loved watching him pitch last night; I was thrilled for him.

theyre ultimately so flukey its hard to give them too much merit.

strongly disagree. While you can argue that dominance is better measured by a high strikeout one hitter and I wouldn't disagree, you cannot deny that the ability to pitch at a major league level offers the possibility of having your best stuff on any given day.

That being said, anytime someone is able to pitch 9 innings and retire 27(+) professional  hitters without allowing a hit is certainly worth a shitload of merit, not to mention grit, competitiveness, and effort. And luck is a part of the game, as no hitters have been "earned" (see; J Santana) and lost (Armando Galarraga).

strongly disagree. While you can argue that dominance is better measured by a high strikeout one hitter and I wouldn't disagree, you cannot deny that the ability to pitch at a major league level offers the possibility of having your best stuff on any given day.

That being said, anytime someone is able to pitch 9 innings and retire 27(+) professional  hitters without allowing a hit is certainly worth a shitload of merit, not to mention grit, competitiveness, and effort. And luck is a part of the game, as no hitters have been "earned" (see; J Santana) and lost (Armando Galarraga).

No doubt a no-hitter is filled with great merit, but it is not alone a sign of a pitcher's greatness. Many great pitchers never threw a no-hitter and many forgettable ones did.

exactly. thats all im saying, and santana/galarraga are perfect examples of it imo. santana was a legitimately great pitcher but his no-no was certainly a fluke. galarraga wasnt great but he deserved a perfect game he didnt get. its more than just having your best stuff on any given day. lots of stuff beyond the pitchers control has to fall perfectly in place, but when it happens its solely the pitchers name that goes in the record books. im not saying its a bad thing, i love the element of luck in baseball, its just always struck me as odd.

didnt the giants just dfa that dude who threw one for them earlier this year?

From Wikipedia entry on Chris Heston:

On June 9, 2015, Heston no-hit the New York Mets 5–0 at Citi Field, becoming the 22nd rookie pitcher since 1900 to throw a no-hitter in a major-league regular-season game. He struck out 11 and walked none; the only 3 runners to reach base were hit by a pitch.[14] Heston closed his no-hitter with three strikeouts in the 9th inning, a feat last accomplished by Sandy Koufax in his perfect game in 1965 against the Chicago Cubs.[15][16] Heston's three hit by pitch batters in his no-hitter were the most since 1914, and has Heston as the fourth MLB pitcher since 1914 to have all of his base runners in his no-hitters be batters hit by a pitch.[17]

Heston was optioned to Triple-A Sacramento on August 21st, 2015.

It's been fun watching the tight race that's going on in the AL East. As a Jay's fan, hoping they can can clinch the division instead of going for the wild card slot. The 7 games against the Yankees next month are going to be nerve wracking for sure.

great seats sat night at o's/ twins game. O's look  a bit lost at the plate w/out the pitching to carry them- but i could be wrong- JC i'm a phils phan!

but as a York county, PA resident- how 'bout  that PA Redland  LLWS team tearing it up!!!!

He was with the Brewers until recently. He was good not great.

Fiers was the pitcher who broke Stanton' s jaw last year

And speaking of the flukiness of nohitters/perfect games, remember Phillip humber?

I hope to God the Mets actually make the playoffs...a fan base losing their Shit the way Mets fans do is not a pleasant thing to watch.

And on another note, think the nationals would like a do over for 2012 and the decision to sit Strasburg?

And on another topic, I guess it only took Ron Washington nine months to reconnect with his wife.

• 3 weeks later...

Watch out....Red Sox are closing in on 4th place. And only a game out of 3rd! They could finish in the middle of the division. That would be a mediocre finish in a mediocre division.

2 of the top 3 teams in the American League are in that "mediocre" division for what it's worth.

2 of the top 3 teams in the American League are in that "mediocre" division for what it's worth.

Great point. It is probably just me. I see significant flaws in both the Blue Jays (pitching) and Yankees (starting pitching) that may make them mediocre playoff teams. Those Blue Jays can hit like crazy, though.

Great point. It is probably just me. I see significant flaws in both the Blue Jays (pitching) and Yankees (starting pitching) that may make them mediocre playoff teams. Those Blue Jays can hit like crazy, though.

The Jays pitching has had some issues for sure, but the addition of Price, and now with Stroman back in the line-up, they're looking fairly good. R.A. Dickey has improved significantly over the season too, winning 7 of his last 8 games. Of course the Jays monster run production helps compensate on those days when the pitching isn't quite there. The Yankees on the other hand don't look all that strong at the moment, despite their record, they've been wildly inconsistent. They'll have to be careful, they definitely don't have their wild card slot in the bag yet.

At the moment I think the Jays are the team to beat in the American League. They're 4-3 against the Royals this year, and all those games were played before the Jays line-up got that influx of new talent. They're 4-2 against the Rangers and 11-5 against the Yankees. They're only 3-3 vs. the Astros, but have beaten them the last 3 times they've played. Should be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out.

There is a couple of interesting things that Managers are doing right now.  I, of course, am really amazed by what Joe Maddon is doing with a very young Cubs team.  

Joe Maddon gets an awful lot out of his players. And he seems like a pretty down to earth guy, too. I am pulling for the Cubs in the NL this fall.