I think Ilitch has been playing chess with the Reaper for quite some time, and he very desperately wants a WS ring before the devil comes to collect his due.

Norris pitched very well. They should have a ton of cash to play with in the off season. It was a smart move to sell this year - they might only be 3.5 games out of the wild card spot, but there's six teams ahead of them. 

If Verlander returns to form (curse you Kate Upton), they could be good again next year.

Dombrowski did a great job in Detroit. Took them to the WS twice, and their recent 4 division titles in a row is unprecedented in Tigers history. 

If the only trade he made was the one that brought Cabrera to Detroit, then he still would have earned high marks.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you read that he resigned? Everything I've read says that Ilitch canned him.

I was listening to a live stream of a local sports radio show here in Boston and that's how they broke the news and they kept the same wording in the 60 second news of the day.

I was listening to a live stream of a local sports radio show here in Boston and that's how they broke the news and they kept the same wording in the 60 second news of the day.

Huh.

The Detroit sports press are treating it like a mystery, and are making guesses as to what went sour. I don't think Dombrowski has made a statement to the press. Avila's, at his press conference, made a curious statement - that they intend for the Tigers to compete for a playoff spot this year. So my guess that Ilitch and Dombrowski were not on the same page as far as being buyers or sellers at the trade deadline. 

Fragile times for Ilitch lately. Losing Babcock from the Wings, canning Dombrowski, getting bad press over his stadium deal for the Wings, being old, his choices in toupees, his ever decreasing percentage of the pizza market...

How about that NL Central?  

3 of the 4 top teams in the NL are in the Central.  Which will probably mean someone in the NL Central will not make the playoffs and having a better record then the winner of the NL East.    

Looking forward for some good baseball down the stretch.  

I am a big fan of the NL Central. There is an old-schoolness in general with the teams in that division, and the teams have been playing some good baseball the past few years. I can get behind teams like the Pirates, Reds, Cubs, and Cardinals, especially when they are fun to watch.

Nobody should ever get behind the Cardinals.

Nobody should ever get behind the Cardinals.

I know, I know. My Dad was a lifelong Cardinals fan, so I have a soft spot for them. Last year, when he was in the final stages of dementia, we got him a CD of the radio call of the 7th game of the '64 World Series, called by Phil Rizzuto and Joe Garagiola. He listened to it over and over. He'd ask to put the ballgame on, and we'd put that on, and all was well.

So I guess I can get behind the Cardinals.

A few trades went under the radar today: Red Sox traded Mike Napoli to the Rangers where I'm assuming he will platoon with Prince Fielder and Mitch Moreland. Nap won't have a similar press conference like Victorino had a few weeks ago. I think he was sent off to Seattle right before the game tonight. 

Indians sent Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn to the Braves for 3B Chris Johnson. 

And I was watching the Red Sox-Tigers game on mute with Wilco going on from Outside Lands & I saw Jose Iglesias getting into a shoving match with James McCann in the dugout. I'm not sure what happened. 

Indians sent Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn to the Braves for 3B Chris Johnson. 

As a Braves fan I'm elated that the organization was able to extricate itself from CJ's contract. He had one good season after being traded to Atlanta, and Frank Wren threw way too much money in his direction (one of many reasons why Frank Wren is no longer with the club). I don't think we'll get much out of Swisher and Bourn, but the ends justify the means. We're not going anywhere for a couple of years anyway. 

And I was watching the Red Sox-Tigers game on mute with Wilco going on from Outside Lands & I saw Jose Iglesias getting into a shoving match with James McCann in the dugout. I'm not sure what happened. 

Looks like McCann thought Iglesias didn't try hard enough on turning a double play and then on a grounder that Iglesias sort of waived at.  

Looks like McCann thought Iglesias didn't try hard enough on turning a double play and then on a grounder that Iglesias sort of waived at.

Thanks! I saw the replay of this this morning. I thought that they were fighting over the last piece of Dubble Bubble.

"it marked the first time in baseball history all 15 home teams won on the same day." That could only happen in the past 17 years, when MLB expanded to 30 teams. Still hard to believe, but maybe not so hard to believe.

The last time all 12 home teams won was May 14th 1914 (included the NL, AL and Federal League).  Prior to expansion when all the home teams in the AL and NL won was 9/16/89, and there were three times in the 1800's.  

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/067ecfb96a6a4036be48db22fd6b7924/home-teams-win-all-15-games-first-time-mlb-history

The ballparks that I have been to….

Fenway Park 

Yankee Stadium (old) - They were actually filming For Love Of The Game. Most likely b roll footage, since they were playing the Tigers. 

Skydome - I don't remember too much about Toronto, since I was only 10 years old when I went here. However, I'll never sit way up in the upper decks ever again. I saw Frank Thomas hit a ball that hit the window of the Hard Rock Cafe during b.p. 

Parc de Olympique - cartoons on the big screen. "Chien cho" must mean hot dogs because that's all that I ever heard. Probably the biggest ballpark in terms of just being lost and exhausted just getting around. Easy to get to from the Montreal Metro. 

Joe Robbie Stadium - another upper deck experience, but thankfully in April during school vacation, so it wasn't too hot. I remember thinking that this place was a dump and I was only 14. It felt like a minor league stadium on steroids meaning that there wasn't anything distinctive about it. 

I've been to the Georgia Dome, but the Braves weren't home at that time to catch a home game. They would have been at Fulton County Stadium to put the era into perspective.  I also stayed at the Marriot just down the road from Petco Park, but it was to avoid the New England weather. I drove by Angel Stadium on my way from San Diego to Los Angeles. 

The ballparks that I have been to….

Fenway Park 

Yankee Stadium (old) - They were actually filming For Love Of The Game. Most likely b roll footage, since they were playing the Tigers. 

Skydome - I don't remember too much about Toronto, since I was only 10 years old when I went here. However, I'll never sit way up in the upper decks ever again. I saw Frank Thomas hit a ball that hit the window of the Hard Rock Cafe during b.p. 

Parc de Olympique - cartoons on the big screen. "Chien cho" must mean hot dogs because that's all that I ever heard. Probably the biggest ballpark in terms of just being lost and exhausted just getting around. Easy to get to from the Montreal Metro. 

Joe Robbie Stadium - another upper deck experience, but thankfully in April during school vacation, so it wasn't too hot. I remember thinking that this place was a dump and I was only 14. It felt like a minor league stadium on steroids meaning that there wasn't anything distinctive about it. 

I've been to the Georgia Dome, but the Braves weren't home at that time to catch a home game. They would have been at Fulton County Stadium to put the era into perspective.  I also stayed at the Marriot just down the road from Petco Park, but it was to avoid the New England weather. I drove by Angel Stadium on my way from San Diego to Los Angeles. 

I use the MLB at the ballpark app to keep all of my ballparks straight.  Since have only been to 10 here is my top 10

10 - US Cellular (see my review in the Politics thread)

9 - New Yankee Stadium - surprisingly generic for a team with so much history

8 - Turner Field - another Meh

7 - Coors Field - good views

6 - Target Field - nice, clean, 

5 - Camden Yards - fun stadium.  Say a guy climb to the top of a foul poll.  

4 - Miller Park - good for if you want to do something besides watch the game

3 - Kauffman Stadium (best deal in all of baseball)

2 - SafeCo - best view in all of baseball and they have by far the nicest ushers.  I spent half of a game talking to the guy who watches the Dave Niehaus statue.  

1 - Wrigley - I am a Cubs fan.  There is no better ballpark or better team in all of baseball.  

I used to travel for work a lot and would always try to catch a game in the city I was at.  Here's my list (not in any order):

1.  Skydome (Toronto)

2.  Old Yankee Stadium (NY)

3.  Fenway Park (Boston)

4.  Camden Yards (Baltimore)

5.  Kauffman Stadium (KC)

6.  Target Field (Minneapolis)

7.  Metrodome (Minneapolis)

8.  Tiger Stadium (Detroit)

9.  Comerica Park (Detroit)

10. Progressive Field (Cleveland)

11. Old Comiskey Park (Chicago)

12  U.S. Cellular Field (Chicago)

13. Minute Maid Park (Houston)

14. Angel Stadium/The Big A (Anaheim)

15. Kingdome (Seattle)

16. Oakland Coliseum

17. Turner Field (Atlanta)

18. Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta)

19. Shea Stadium (NY)

20. Wrigley Dump (Chicago)

21. Old Busch Stadium (St. Louis)

22. Three Rivers Stadium  (Pittsburgh)

23  PNC Park (Pittsburgh)

24. Great America Ballpark (Cincinnati)

25. County Stadium (Milwaukee)

26. Miller Park (Milwaukee)

27. Candlestick Park (SF)

28. AT&T Park (SF)

29. Coors Field (Denver)

30. Petco Park (San Diego)

Tonight Daniel Norris became the first ever AL pitcher to hit a regular season HR at Wrigley.

If he does nothing else in his career, that's a pretty cool stat to own.

Oh, and it was his first career at bat.

Edit: I've also read that it's the first HR (WS and regular season) by an AL pitcher there. Not too many World Series have been played in Wrigley, so it should be easy to suss out.

So the Red Sox went with an "ace-less" starting five this season. The pitchers themselves had some fun with that term in the spring, as they said that whichever pitcher was pitching that day was the ace. Let's see how they have done so far:

Clay Buchholz - 7-7, 3.26, on 60-Day DL

Rick Porcello - 5-11, 5.81, on 15-Day DL (received a 4-year, $82 million extension in the spring)

Wade Miley - 10-9, 4.41, currently in rotation

Joe Kelly - 6-6, 5.37, currently in rotation

Justin Masterson - 4-2, 5.61, released

So the rotation-without-an-ace has been a notable failure. But is it more of a failure than Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez?