I must be in the FRONT ROW!

Anybody have the chance to get real close up for a concert you're excited about? I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity a few times in the mid/late 80s. Lets see, I saw The Firm, Deep Purple, Rush, Triumph, Iron Maiden and a couple others that I don't recall right now, all at the Rosemont Horizon. We knew a husband and wife bouncer team who handled the front row area who told us if we could get down close enough to get their attention, they'd stick us in the space between front row and the stage....and that's exactly what they did (except for Rush, which were legit front row tix).

Probably the most exciting was being a few feet from Jimmy Page, who we all worshipped at the time. I was able to see Ian Gillian tell Ritchie Blackmore about the great BJ he got during Ritchie's extended solo and I definitely got hearing damage in my right ear during the Iron Maiden show.

How about you?

I paid $525 (face value) for a single ticket to see the Who in Los Angeles about a dozen years ago. I was looking to buy 3 cheaper tickets for myself, my son and my friend, but when the online sale began I checked for a single ticket and drew one in the front row, so I bought it. My son and my friend ended up about 80 rows behind me.

I was just about the only non-celeb in our little roped-off area. I sat next to members of Kiss, Anthrax, Chili Peppers, Ashley Judd, John Cusack and the guy who knocked up Liz Hurley. (He was with a Baywatch girl.)

I saw the title of the thread and was afraid that Bob Uecker died...

Saw Dylan a few times and I was real up close -- when he use to do club shows. Since hardly anyone was there - I was able to walk right up in front  at a Weir/Wasserman show - that was kinda of cool.

Wilco and Tweedy shows, I guess too.

i was in the front row for my first Wilco show (YHF tour), towards stage left. it was at The Orpheum, where the front row seats go right to the stage.... it's a great venue if you are really close, and i've had the good fortune to get row 3 tickets for Nick Cave and 2nd row center aisle for Iggy and the Stooges back in 2007. at one point Iggy jumped off the stage to the aisle and was face to face with me, singing directly in my face. pretty fucking awesome.

I've been front row a couple times for Tweedy/Wilco, but the one show that is going to be forever in my mind as the best show I have ever seen/been at, and had amazing seat was Paul McCartney in Nashville this past fall.

3 rows from the stage. I made eye contact with a Beatle.

Pretty much never gonna top that unless I one day end up somehow singing with Jeff... 

I've been front row a couple times for Tweedy/Wilco, but the one show that is going to be forever in my mind as the best show I have ever seen/been at, and had amazing seat was Paul McCartney in Nashville this past fall.

3 rows from the stage. I made eye contact with a Beatle.

Pretty much never gonna top that unless I one day end up somehow singing with Jeff... 

I remember your story about singing on stage with Rhett Whatshisname. Isn't that up there? :banana

As for me,

Undertones / JT solo / Aimee Mann / Los Lobos / Emmylou x 2 / Beirut / Big Audio Dynamite / Elbow / Dawes / Devotchka / Duke Special / Ed Harcourt / Eddi Reader / Elvis Costello / Florence - before the Machine (in a room of about a dozen / Jonathan Richman / Maria McKee / The National / Neko Case / Patty Griffin (with a guest appearance by Robert Plant) / Boomtown Rats / Richard Hawley / Richmond Fontaine / Shearwater / Slade / The Specials / Squeeze / Stranglers / The Strypes / Wintersleep / Wilco 

Some quite a while ago ... all GA.

I was on the stage at the very last Geraldine Fibbers show (1997) because Nels and Carla convinced the venue that an underaged girl and I were part of the crew so that she could enter the 21+ venue.

The only time I was on stage for a show was when Wilco opened for Sheryl Crow at Red Rocks in '97 or so. Pretty cool perspective.

I have been at the very front leaning on the stage for many shows including but not limited to Wilco, X, Shane McGowan and the Popes, bare Jr. and Jason and the scorchers, but I have only once actually had tickets that were front row. It was for Peter Frampton in 1980 or 81. I didn't go because I lost interest between the time I got the tickets and the date of the show. My friends had a good time though.

I have been at the very front leaning on the stage for many shows including but not limited to Wilco, X, Shane McGowan and the Popes, bare Jr. and Jason and the scorchers, but I have only once actually had tickets that were front row.

Yep. I've never been able to score a front row seat for a show (closest was 2nd row for Wilco in 2002), but I have been on the rail in GA shows. Probably the most "eventful" was the AmericanaramA show in Tampa, since I was in the front, leaning on the rail, for Bob Weir, MMJ, WIlco and then Bobby D.

Undertones / JT solo / Aimee Mann / Los Lobos / Emmylou x 2 / Beirut / Big Audio Dynamite / Elbow / Dawes / Devotchka / Duke Special / Ed Harcourt / Eddi Reader / Elvis Costello / Florence - before the Machine (in a room of about a dozen / Jonathan Richman / Maria McKee / The National / Neko Case / Patty Griffin (with a guest appearance by Robert Plant) / Boomtown Rats / Richard Hawley / Richmond Fontaine / Shearwater / Slade / The Specials / Squeeze / Stranglers / The Strypes / Wintersleep / Wilco 

Some quite a while ago ... all GA.

Great screen name, give my regards to Ena Sharples...

Only one true front row seat - Patti Smith, Empire Pool Wembley - turned an arena gig into an intimate "Club show", but I've waited hours to get on the rail for too many GA shows and festival sets to list.  The atmosphere there is always great but often the acoustics are poor - vocals tend to go out through stageside PA and past the folks at the front so for shows where the sonics are more important to me, I like to get back by the soundboard.  My theory is that the soundman's going to mix it to sound best from where he's sitting.

Oh yeah, Hot Tuna at the Park West in the early 90s. Acoustic show. We walked in a couple minutes after the doors opened and went right to the table at center stage.

How'd this happen?

A good friend of mine is good friends with Jon "JP" Parker (former Wilco stage manager) and we got free roam. He used to do vocals on "Immigrant Song"and "Ziggy Stardust" sometimes at shows, too. Maybe "Paranoid," as well.

I too enjoy being right up front. One of the best was being right at Nels' feet in Hartford a couple years back. With no barrier, I had no choice but to rest my beer on the stage when it was time to clap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rested a cup of water on the lip of the stage once at a 97's gig, and Ken Bethea kicked it into my face.

I don't go to Old 97's shows anymore. 

I remember your story about singing on stage with Rhett Whatshisname. Isn't that up there? :banana

Yeah, it used to be, for sure.