Roadcase Series

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly on point with the original post, but does anyone know of a way to obtain Roadcase 018 now? That would be the covers set from Solid Sound 2013. Watching the Every Other Summer trailer with Cut Your Hair reminded me that I never got this roadcase and now it seems to have vanished from the Wilco Store  :heartbroken

Mine sounds pretty good, it sounds like you think it would sound like, just picture 30 songs that sound like the last 4 songs from the Port Chester and Chicago shows.  I like the acoustic stuff, it's fun to hear them play songs in a different way however I'm just not into the mix.  Having musicians and singers standing 6 feet away from the microphone doesn't translate to large crowds, it's just not possible to make it loud enough.  I guess it's more 'authentic' whatever that means, but by not close micing and/or using pickups you are doing a disservice to the music being played, the musicians and the audience.  How much nicer would it have been if you could actually hear the piano when Mikael was playing it, they could have played all the same instruments and actually be heard doing it and it would have been much more pleasurable.  I honestly believe the problem with the crowd on Friday night was they became disinterested in the music and more interested in the party, when they couldn't hear the music being played the music became secondary, more of a background thing. 

This of course is all my opinion, but I was a live music audio engineer for over 20 years and have mixed for crowds larger then Solid Sound so I'd like to think I know something about what I'm talking about here.  For reference I was dead center and about 3/4 of the way back between the stage and the sound board, basically the sweet spot for sound.

It was definitely an experiment. I don't think they would ever attempt it again, at least not for a while. Like they said, out of all the places to try an all acoustic set, this would be the one.

Why did I think the Pilgrimage Festival was all acoustic also?

Why did I think the Pilgrimage Festival was all acoustic also?

As I understand it, the organizers for Pilgrimage are encouraging performers to do at least part of their set acoustically, but its not being positioned as an all acoustic festival.

As I understand it, the organizers for Pilgrimage are encouraging performers to do at least part of their set acoustically, but its not being positioned as an all acoustic festival.

Got it, thanks.

Mine sounds pretty good, it sounds like you think it would sound like, just picture 30 songs that sound like the last 4 songs from the Port Chester and Chicago shows.  I like the acoustic stuff, it's fun to hear them play songs in a different way however I'm just not into the mix.  Having musicians and singers standing 6 feet away from the microphone doesn't translate to large crowds, it's just not possible to make it loud enough.  I guess it's more 'authentic' whatever that means, but by not close micing and/or using pickups you are doing a disservice to the music being played, the musicians and the audience.  How much nicer would it have been if you could actually hear the piano when Mikael was playing it, they could have played all the same instruments and actually be heard doing it and it would have been much more pleasurable.  I honestly believe the problem with the crowd on Friday night was they became disinterested in the music and more interested in the party, when they couldn't hear the music being played the music became secondary, more of a background thing. 

This of course is all my opinion, but I was a live music audio engineer for over 20 years and have mixed for crowds larger then Solid Sound so I'd like to think I know something about what I'm talking about here.  For reference I was dead center and about 3/4 of the way back between the stage and the sound board, basically the sweet spot for sound.

I was standing right about where you were, I agree with the comment that we couldn't hear Mikael on piano.  But otherwise I thought the sound was fine and enjoyed the uniqueness of the hootenany set.  I gave the Roadcase release a proper listen, and it is way better than the radio feed, which has also now been permanently deleted.  It too served me well this last week.

I was standing right about where you were, I agree with the comment that we couldn't hear Mikael on piano.  But otherwise I thought the sound was fine and enjoyed the uniqueness of the hootenany set.  I gave the Roadcase release a proper listen, and it is way better than the radio feed, which has also now been permanently deleted.  It too served me well this last week.

I was on the rail on the right side, and I couldn't hear Mikael at all. 

I was on the rail on the right side, and I couldn't hear Mikael at all. 

I'm loving the Roadcase #47 release of the all acoustic show!! It's certainly a step up from both the kindly released previous sources (NYC Taper & the WFUV Broadcast), & I'm extra thrilled as I was up close on the right side fence myself (with some friends who I didn't want to leave, but was tempted to...because...) and I pretty much couldn't hear Mikael at all either.

I loved the all acoustic show, & was glad I got to see it. It was a little difficult sound wise though, & while a unique success, not quite as rousing & thrilling as the all-covers show (hope they bring that one back too!!) at Solid Sound 2013!! That said, varying levels of greatness & pleasure, are nice things to be thinking about...

It was great and fun and I'm glad I was there for it... but I thought some of the song choices odd, and there were not many big singalongs (which I kinda thought they were going for?), or if there were appropriate songs, did the audience choose to keep quiet so they could hear the show? And also no real rarities. I wonder if they would do a plugged-in acoustic show (MTV Unplugged style) if that would make the sound bigger, and elicit more audience participation.

Still, I'd be up for it again, now that I have a certain level of expectation.