Roadcase Series

gotta say, pretty disappointed with the San Francisco Roadcase show. The sound quality is lacking, and the crowd is way too noisy and obnoxious.

I didn't really notice that about the sound quality but during that recent Reddit session Jeff said something specifically about the room having a "dead" sound. (I think that was the word he used.) He said they skipped sound check that day and they shouldn't have.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta say, pretty disappointed with the San Francisco Roadcase show. The sound quality is lacking, and the crowd is way too noisy and obnoxious.

Interestingly enough, while I thought the performances for both the recent Roadcase shows were great, I thought the sound (while not awful by any means) wasn't that great & wasn't up to the usual quality/standards of other Roadcase release (also odd that they'd release two sort of sub-par sound shows at once)...

I have to say that I think I really prefer the audio files floating around from the Pitchfork Fest to the Seattle/Redmond show. I'm curious to hear from any other folks that have both, as to which they think is better, the Pitchfork live show or the recent electric show Roadcase release?

Interestingly enough, while I thought the performances for both the recent Roadcase shows were great, I thought the sound, while not awful by any means, wasn't that great as well.

I have to say that I think I really prefer the audio files floating around from the Pitchfork Fest better than the Seattle/Redmond show. I'm curious to hear from any other folks that have both, as to which they prefer the Pitchfork live show or the recent electric show Roadcase?

The sound quality of both of the new releases is kinda lacking, to much audience mix, there is a screamer in the Seattle show that makes it almost un-listenable.  The San Francisco show is lacking mostly because of the way they amplify the acoustic shows, I just can't figure out why they want it to sound like that, it's just not enjoyable to not hear what's on stage, you can close mic the instruments (and vocals god damnit!) and still create the openness and space they are trying to create.

The sound quality of both of the new releases is kinda lacking, to much audience mix, there is a screamer in the Seattle show that makes it almost un-listenable. The San Francisco show is lacking mostly because of the way they amplify the acoustic shows, I just can't figure out why they want it to sound like that, it's just not enjoyable to not hear what's on stage, you can close mic the instruments (and vocals god damnit!) and still create the openness and space they are trying to create.

I agree about the screamer. It sounded like there were maybe twenty people in the audience and they were all obnoxious. I've never bought a roadcase where the audience gets on my nerves. It almost felt like I was there and getting pissed off at people.

SF show is a big miss in the roadcase series,sounds like an average aud.rec.on edirol.

That's disappointing. I bought both because I've been so excited about the new album but I haven't listened to the acoustic one yet. The mix on the KEXP show was sooo good that I jumped on the first acoustic roadcase because I wanted the same sound with more songs and lossless audio.

After following/seeing Wilco for the past 20 years - I was so excited the other night when I found this message board.  I see 1-2 shows a year when they come around MN and have also purchased a handful of the Roadcase recordings.  I did get both recent releases and while I do find the 'screamer' a little annoying on the Seattle show - it is hardly the deal breaker I have read people complaining about in the previous posts.  I think that is a pretty damn good recording overall and one where (obviously) the audience was totally into it.  I guess that is what happens when  the audience is mic'd… you can hear the audience.  Although - I can't imagine having to stand next to that girl during the show (shut up & dance).  As far as the San Francisco show - I got that one after downloading a bootleg recording that surfaced a couple days after the show.  Maybe some of you here heard it.  It was a decent audience recording made with a serious taping rig according to the notes (much more legit than a POS Edirol).  Well - this Roadcase version sounds 100% better than that.  From what I have seen the Wilco 'unplugged' shows are recorded with a limited number of microphones on stage (maybe less than 10 ???).  I agree with Bosco that there is probably a better way to do it for a cleaner sound, but maybe that defeats the purpose of what the band is trying to pull off on stage.  Either way I am so glad they released this one of a kind show.

It looks like numbers 33, 34, and 35 are all Tweedy shows, just listed under Jeff Tweedy. The Buffalo recording (#035) is excellent, but I may be biased since I was at the show.

I'm really fond of #34 at the Lincoln Theater in DC, possibly for the same reason. Also, Spencer came out and gave me a hug after the show, and Jeff did a great unamplified Misunderstood closer. They did seem in rare form that night in an intimate theater with a very receptive audience.

It looks like numbers 33, 34, and 35 are all Tweedy shows, just listed under Jeff Tweedy. The Buffalo recording (#035) is excellent, but I may be biased since I was at the show.

Sweet.  I thought those were solo shows.  Thanks so much.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my hands on the San Francisco and Redmond shows and I have to pipe in and say that the negativity about these recordings is unwarranted. I have no problems with a little added crowd noise and ambience from the room they were playing.

If anything the bar has been set too high by previous Roadcase releases and everyone has become a bit spoiled and their expectations are set unreasonably high. Regardless of how you feel, one should always keep in mind how nice it is to be able to purchase shows of such quality at a incredibly reasonable prices. Not to mention the convenience. It sure beats having to lug around your own recording rig to the show, putting in the work and then having to read everyone's online critique about the quality of your recording.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping we get at least something else on Roadcase before the end of the year... loved the performance of "Star Wars" at Pitchfork & would really love one more version of the whole album live... REALLY hoping that, at the very least, the Ithaca show gets a Roadcase release!! That was a truly magical night on many levels!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping we get at least something else on Roadcase before the end of the year... loved the performance of "Star Wars" at Pitchfork & would really love one more version of the whole album live... REALLY hoping that, at the very least, the Ithaca show gets a Roadcase release!! That was a truly magical night on many levels!!

And here's the latest... glad to have one more show from this leg of the tour... if they chose this one over Ithaca, I'm betting it's gotta be a great one- Bloomington, IN (9/25/15)

http://wilco.kungfustore.com/roadcase/roadcase-051-september-25-2015-bloomington-in-wilr51.html

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so it looks like a NYC show is up. Any thoughts on this one? I really want Space Oddity, but wouldn't mind some feedback on the overall sound quality of this show. 

I got Brooklyn night 2. I don't have the most discerning ears but it sounds great to me. There's a fair amount of crowd noise, but not in a distracting way. It's just that you're quite aware it's a live recording.

I got both nights. Both sound great to me. If anything, the version of Space Oddity from night two is a little tighter to my ears. Night two does have a slightly louder sing-along crowd if that bothers you.

Night one recording has a somewhat annoying fan who insists on thanking Nels and Jeff loudly between songs throughout the show.

I bought the download of the 2nd Brooklyn show. Very nice! I wanted "Space Oddity" & went with night 2 because of the setlist. "Spiders" was the push over the cliff for me. As much as I hate buying downloads, I've bought a few of the Roadcase shows & have not been disappointed. @ $9, the price is realistic. Still would prefer cd but understand the economics. Happy that the band is putting out hi quality live recordings. BTW, "Space Oddity" is stellar!