Wilco - 7/17/15 Pitchfork festival, Chicago

That's a pretty terrible review.  It certainly wasn't my favorite set of wilco (I thought the set after Star Wars was pretty uninspiring until Impossible Germany->Red Eyed/Blue->the finish), but it wasn't because the band wasn't into it by any stretch of the imagination. 

I think the pitchfork crowd can just be kind of lame for the most part.  I remember in 2010 on Pavement's comeback tour freaking out when the set started because it was such a big deal and the crowd around me could not have given less of a crap, which of course is ironic since Pitchfork wouldn't exist without Pavement!

From the noisey.vice review linked above..."They're like the hip persons version of the Dave Matthews Band."

Wow does that depress me. I've spent my last 20 years seeking out and listening to music that I like and it was all to be a slightly more hip Dave Matthews Band fan?

He was correct however. That was not one of Wilco's best sets, with the debut of an album barely anyone had heard, most of the hits, and a festival crowd. But going back to my 11 years of attending this festival (I went to intonation fest in union park in 2004&05) the headliners have usually left me slightly disappointed. Pavement and Modest Mouse come immediately to mind. And it is usually the mid afternoon act that steals the show. Tune yards and Robyn immediately come to mind. Pitchfork is a great music fest with a great overall vibe and patrons with diverse music tastes. It is not a homecoming show for Wilco.

Pavement was way better during their Millennium Park show that was within the year after Pitchfork.  There have been memorable performances for headliners but it is a tough slot to be sure. Some were memorably bad (Flaming Lips) or freaked out the crowd (Yoko One).  Because expectations are lower for the less known acts they leave a deeper impression.  I don't see that many groups because I am selling LPs (incidentally I did not meet any new VCers this year who came to buy LPs) so I see less music than your average Pitchforker,  Seeing a group you want to see in a concert or club date is always better than at a fest. 

edit-I finally read this stupid review.  If he had wanted to see a "Chicago" show he should have showed up at one of the residency shows where the audience actually gave a shit.  Opening with Star Wars was a gutsy move, because most of the audience was only vaguely acquainted with Wilco's repertoire and many folks had no idea what they were playing.  A young woman I stood next too was a fan and had no idea Star Wars had been released.  Jeff seemed totally happy about playing the new album and while it will take a bit more time to flesh out some of the new songs in concert they sounded just fine, like the album or not.  Meanwhile you have to expect a band to run through the greatest hits for an hour to make sure that the casual fans get something to take home.  (I heard a complaint about Sleater - Kinney being off from a deep fan too, but I thought they were great and I had seen them earlier in the year.) 

Those of us here and many others have very high expectations of Wilco since we are long term fans, but let's be honest. This is a band 20 years into a career that has put on a bunch of miles (and yea a few extra pounds.)  For every show to be a revelation is simply unreasonable.  And while I have to give Star Wars more listens, you can either take the slightly throw away feel as a negative or a positive. (I would love to have been at the band meeting {conference call} when Jeff told them they were doing the entire album at the beginning of this set; the band must have been shocked.)  So yea, it wasn't the greatest show ever, but it sure didn't suck.  Not even as jaded a fan as me, who has seen plenty of shows (not as many as others, but dozens and dozens) was hyped by it.  Simply being at the show where the new album was previewed was a kick and seeing them in front of a non-fan audience, as stupid as it was, gave me a lift.  Sure I have seen all those other songs done dozens of times, but when they rolled out Impossible Germany, I freaked.

Maybe the writer of this review needed a bit more beer and a few more joints to enjoy the show more, I don't know.  Maybe he has gotten jaded over the years if he thinks Wilco has anything to do with that other band he mentioned.  Get that guy a big doobie and tell him to chill out.

LouieB

I wonder why they didn't release this surprise album for Solid Sound and then play it in full live to that crowd. I'm sure it would have gone over much better. I know I loved watching the live stream from Pitchfork and loved that they were playing the whole album in its entirety. I watched it back afterwards and still think it was great.

Sometimes I think people have such high expectations. It's a lot to put on a person (or band.)

I wonder why they didn't release this surprise album for Solid Sound and then play it in full live to that crowd. I'm sure it would have gone over much better. I know I loved watching the live stream from Pitchfork and loved that they were playing the whole album in its entirety. I watched it back afterwards and still think it was great.

Sometimes I think people have such high expectations. It's a lot to put on a person (or band.)

I can't figure out why they didn't do it at Solid Sound too. It just makes much better sense from a pleasing the fans standpoint. 

Definitely got more publicity doing it at Pitchfork, rather than Solid Sound, also the band may have not been ready - rehearsal wise - to perform it at Solid Sound; plus the record may have not been completely finished.

the band may have not been ready - rehearsal wise - to perform it at Solid Sound; plus the record may have not been completely finished.

This is what I was thinking too.

Did no one on here catch the Tweedy show at Forecastle? Surprised there has been no thread or setlist.

Let me offer an alternative viewpoint on why this didn't happen at Solid Sound. I don't think they wanted to distract away from the artists & art at their own festival. Not to mention the majority of people there are either camping or staying at hotels. Are you going to let your fans listen to the whole album on a YouTube stream? The big part that gratified people was that Wilco sent us the album for download and we didn't have to go through iTunes. My smart phone couldn't download the album via WIlco. Concierge, may I buy a CD-R to attach to the hotel lobby computer to put Star Wars on cd so that I can listen to it? Of course, this is the thinking that they'd do it the day before Solid Sound started. They could have done it earlier in the week. How many of us would have been somewhat upset to all of a sudden have a new WIlco album to digest while the hallowed grounds of Mass MoCa were awaiting us will all of the treasures?

Maybe they wanted to roll it out in Chicago.

The best possible explanation is that it wasn't ready.

LouieB

From a record company perspective - having the Pitchfork show streamed across the world is a good thing. Obviously, Solid Sound didn't have that exposure.

They unleashed The Whole Love at SS2 so I am inclined to say that this was a combination of releasing on the "hometown crowd" instead (even if Pitchfork was more casual listeners) and a brilliant exposure marketing ploy. I think they should have released it that Monday which could have forced Pitchfork to give it a higher rating to boost their own festival, but that might not have worked. 

Wilco's "Star Wars" LIVE!!! Right after Wilco released their new album, "Star Wars", for free, they headlined the Pitchfork Music Festival in their hometown of Chicago & opened the show by playing the whole new album, start to finish. Someone uploaded their Pitchfork Fest (July 17th) performance of the complete new album...Enjoy!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8F1F1mVpg

And for anyone that hasn't gotten this already, here is the download of the full Pitchfork performance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wby5udgdbe7n923/Wilco%20-%202015-07-17%20Pitchfork%20Music%20Festival%20%5B1080p%5D.mkv?dl=0

Wilco's "Star Wars" LIVE!!! Right after Wilco released their new album, "Star Wars", for free, they headlined the Pitchfork Music Festival in their hometown of Chicago & opened the show by playing the whole new album, start to finish. Someone uploaded their Pitchfork Fest (July 17th) performance of the complete new album...Enjoy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8F1F1mVpg

And for anyone that hasn't gotten this already, here is the download of the full Pitchfork performance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wby5udgdbe7n923/Wilco%20-%202015-07-17%20Pitchfork%20Music%20Festival%20%5B1080p%5D.mkv?dl=0

and the complete audio: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kubfj9ucbri6gqy/AACUkz5GiRPvjNz4EG2A8xg9a?dl=0

Is it just me or is the audio on that YouTube vid way higher quality than the dropbox vid? Maybe I need to DL again.

Is it just me or is the audio on that YouTube vid way higher quality than the dropbox vid? Maybe I need to DL again.

I just checked it out, & despite my rather crappy computer sound system... it sounded at least as good on the download...my bet is that this might be where the youtube post comes from anyways...

Just checked the drop box version again and sounds great on my laptop, but if I hookup to my TV through HDMI it's a bit distorted. Maybe the cable?

Either way thanks for the YT link, really nice to hear the performance this clearly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8F1F1mVpg, someone posted it to YouTube

Thank you for posting this! I missed the stream the night of (was at a Modest Mouse show, which I didn't enjoy at all-- Wilco has spoiled me, I'm afraid). Anyway, I just watched it and am thoroughly amazed at how polished and organic it sounds right out of the gate. I'm sure some of the songs will evolve played live over time, but it is amazing on the first run! As an aside, I'm so glad this record came out and I think it is totally brilliant. There was a nagging little voice in my head that I was hanging onto Wilco too tight and for too long. My favorite studio recordings are so many years old, and while I truly LOVE seeing the band live, it is so exciting that they have this great new material to add to the mix. The flame has been re-kindled, that's for sure!