By popular demand...albums you hate by artists you love.

:(

im not a huge fan of the early speed freak ahrdcore side of husker du but metal circus is when they became great imo. it has that hardcore energy but the songs start so show more of the melodic side theyd perfect on zen arcade/new day rising/etc.

its not funny anymore is especially great. might even be my favorite grant track

You know, I put in the wrong album title, I meant to say Land Speed Record, not Metal Circus.

MC still isn't my fave from them, but I don't hate it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need that about as much as you need Neil's coffee shop album. And Queen's Hot Space album. Which is to say - not at all.

Around the time Lou was inducted to the Hall of Fame, Bowie or Laurie Anderson or someone else said it will go down as one of his greatest works. I'm sure you're right, but I feel I owe it another listen

Around the time Lou was inducted to the Hall of Fame, Bowie or Laurie Anderson or someone else said it will go down as one of his greatest works. I'm sure you're right, but I feel I owe it another listen

It's probably on Youtube. I find most things on there. I'd say they are wrong. But - everyone likes what they like. I think Lou's best work is what he did in the VU.

You need that about as much as you need Neil's coffee shop album. And Queen's Hot Space album. Which is to say - not at all.

Ha ha..my friend is a die-hard Queen fan and our inside joke is always about Hot Space. I bought him a hot space tshirt and a hot space on vinyl one christmas..Ironically I still like the song Staying Power because it is sooo cheesy.

Pink Floyd - Anything post Roger Waters

Rolling Stones- Anything after 1981

Both of these. Definitely.

R.E.M. - Live

Some would point to "Around the Sun" as R.E.M.'s rock bottom, but they're wrong.  Rock bottom was when they put the ATS songs on an inexplicably packaged double live album. 

ha..I can see that..I saw a couple shows on that tour and ti was a weird time for REM..still I enjoyed it

Yup.

Also -

BeBop Deluxe - Drastic Plastic

David Byrne - Uh Oh

Yes - 90215

How dare you!  Next thing you be saying that Big Generator was bad too! :stunned

I actually like 90125 as an album, but it doesn't seem like Yes.  And, Yes has released a lot of junk.  To me, the nadir was Union with the band not really playing on half of it.  Still some good songs though.

Pink Floyd - Anything post Roger Waters

Rolling Stones- Anything after 1981

I loved Division Bell.  It's no Animals, but still pretty good.  Lots of Richard Wright on there.  I'd say Waters post-Floyd stuff might fit this topic.

How dare you! Next thing you be saying that Big Generator was bad too! :stunned

I actually like 90125 as an album, but it doesn't seem like Yes. And, Yes has released a lot of junk. To me, the nadir was Union with the band not really playing on half of it. Still some good songs though.

I honestly never heard Big Generator or anything thereafter. We used to refer to that horrible single as Honer of a Lonely Heart ("and honing is a lonely art"...must have been some Zappa influence in there, i.e., "he honed his cone").

I, too, despise all the post-Roger Floyd. That Endless River dreck is the worst offender. Polly Fucking Sampson? Gimme a break.

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief : There's a great EP in here by keeping 6 tracks. I don't hate this, but it is my least fave of their excellent output. It evokes an uneasy feeling in me, much like putting on Apocalypse Now. I do give them credit for being able to do that to me. 

Pearl Jam - Backspacer: I don't think I've ever laughed at a song, upon hearing it for the first time, from a band that I admire. Johnny Guitar made me laugh and I thought that it was some sort of satire. Kind of unforgettable tracks. I'm looking at the list and I don't remember how certain songs go. 

Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt: I swear that this was made, so that they could tour 2 years ago. Horrible! I think I listened to this once or twice and I even forget that it exists. 

Depeche Mode - Exciter: The first album made after Gahan finally cleaned himself up leaves this too bland for my taste. Their albums that followed this were actually very good.

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief : There's a great EP in here by keeping 6 tracks. I don't hate this, but it is my least fave of their excellent output. It evokes an uneasy feeling in me, much like putting on Apocalypse Now. I do give them credit for being able to do that to me. 

Pearl Jam - Backspacer: I don't think I've ever laughed at a song, upon hearing it for the first time, from a band that I admire. Johnny Guitar made me laugh and I thought that it was some sort of satire. Kind of unforgettable tracks. I'm looking at the list and I don't remember how certain songs go. 

Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt: I swear that this was made, so that they could tour 2 years ago. Horrible! I think I listened to this once or twice and I even forget that it exists. 

I could not buy the last one. Backspacer was it for me. I wish I had not bought that one.

I could not buy the last one. Backspacer was it for me. I wish I had not bought that one.

You're not the first person to say something like this. I don't know what happened?! The "Avocado" album was pretty amazing. 

I'm not sure which R.E.M. album I'd put up in this list. I'd really have to look at the track listing for any album after New Adventures In Hi-Fi. 

Edited after my lil trip to Wiki: Well, the fact that I completely forgot that Collapse Into Now existed or if I even listened to it achieves the status. You can easily take the best tracks from Up, Reveal, Around The Sun, and Accelerate to make one fine playlist. 

I never got along with that one either...

"Hate" is a strong word, but those last two Pearl Jam albums really come close. There isn't a great song between them, and only 2-4 songs that I would actually listen to.

You're not the first person to say something like this. I don't know what happened?! The "Avocado" album was pretty amazing. 

I agree. Pearl Jam is one of my favorites of theirs.

"Hate" is a strong word, but those last two Pearl Jam albums really come close. There isn't a great song between them, and only 2-4 songs that I would actually listen to.

I agree. Pearl Jam is one of my favorites of theirs.

I'm curious which songs. It can't be Sirens. That song sounds like Eddie Vedder sold his soul to the devil to get on AC radio. 

once a band puts out something like Cream Corn, Locust Abortion Technicians, or Rembrandt Pussyhorse, it can only go downhill...

Well, you said last "decent" album, though. Neither the Widowermaker Ep or Independent are close to those you cited, but they're still "decent."

I think I listened to Electriclarryland twice. I'm not saying it sucks, just that I can't recall anything besides "Pepper" from it....

I'm curious which songs. It can't be Sirens. That song sounds like Eddie Vedder sold his soul to the devil to get on AC radio. 

Amongst the Waves and Lightning Bolt are two that I can listen to. I don't hate Sirens, but it's nothing special.