By popular demand...albums you hate by artists you love.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Clash -- Combat Rock

Smashing Pumpkins -- Adore

R.E.M. -- Reveal

Pete Townshend -- Psychoderelict

Combat Rock was one of those albums it took me forever to get, but I actually enjoy listening to it now. Not nearly as much as their earlier albums though.

Meat Puppets I

They're one of my favorite bands of all time and they had a huge impact on my life, but their first album is pretty much unlistenable.

Hüsker Dü - Metal Circus

Pretty much the same thing.

Prince

Nearly anything that he released since the year 2000 (with a couple of exceptions). It's like, just because he's a genius, he thinks that we need to hear every drop of piss that comes out of him. I love him, but we don't.

R.E.M. - Monster

Ahh..most people dislike it but I think Strange Currencies, Crush With Eye Liner and Circus Envy are solid. I like it because it doesn't sound like anything else they have done and I think it was ballsy to head in this direction.

Meat Puppets I

They're one of my favorite bands of all time and they had a huge impact on my life, but their first album is pretty much unlistenable.

Oh man, it's not my first choice when putting on a MPs album, but there's plenty of listenable material on there (imo). Try the one with the Bonus Tracks that came out in '99, maybe. 

Ahh..most people dislike it but I think Strange Currencies, Crush With Eye Liner and Circus Envy are solid. I like it because it doesn't sound like anything else they have done and I think it was ballsy to head in this direction.

"Bang and Blame, "too. "...Kenneth" is still a good tune, as well.

Oh man, it's not my first choice when putting on a MPs album, but there's plenty of listenable material on there (imo). Try the one with the Bonus Tracks that came out in '99, maybe. 

"Bang and Blame, "too. "...Kenneth" is still a good tune, as well.

It's been many years since I've put it on. Maybe I should give it another shot then.

It's been many years since I've put it on. Maybe I should give it another shot then.

It is a bit raw, in places, for sure but worth being busted out now and again. Do you have the re-release with the bonus tracks? Rykodisc re-released all the albums (to that point) in 1999 with some really killer bonus stuff, like tons of bonus tracks. A pal of mine worked for Ryko at the time and hooked me up with them. The Bonus Tracks on Meat Puppets 1 include covers of Iggy Pop, Neil Young, and the GD, as well. 

I agree that it doesn't sound like anything else they've done and that it was ballsy to head in that direction, but I still hate it. *laughs*

And trust me, I gave it more chances than I've probably given any other album, ever. If I had to pick one band who had the most influence on my life, it is R.E.M. But I just couldn't take Monster. Yes, there are a few decent songs, but to this day I cannot listen to that album in its entirety. R.E.M. lost me for several years after that. I did not even listen to New Adventures in HiFi when it was released. But they totally won me back with Up, and then I went back to listen to New Adventures and loved it. Monster just seems to be an anomaly for me.

I've found that I can enjoy the music-only version that was later released. The narration used to annoy me.

The music-only Psychoderelict is one of Townshend's best solo albums. There are some great songs on there. Releasing it with all the dialogue was a disastrous mistake - but he was deep in his Tony Awards phase back then, and was way too committed to melding rock and theater.

Is it heresy to say "Neil Young: almost everything after 1979"?

The music-only Psychoderelict is one of Townshend's best solo albums. There are some great songs on there. Releasing it with all the dialogue was a disastrous mistake - but he was deep in his Tony Awards phase back then, and was way too committed to melding rock and theater.

Agreed. I enjoy his theatrical projects (last night my neighbor and I watched the accompanying documentaries/films that were released with All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes and White City) but I don't want to hear a lot of spoken dialog when I'm listening to one of his increasingly rare solo albums.

Hüsker Dü - Metal Circus

Pretty much the same thing.

:(

im not a huge fan of the early speed freak ahrdcore side of husker du but metal circus is when they became great imo. it has that hardcore energy but the songs start so show more of the melodic side theyd perfect on zen arcade/new day rising/etc.

its not funny anymore is especially great. might even be my favorite grant track