What do you do for a living?

I feel like I know a bit about some people on here but I don't think I know what y'all do for a living. Share if you like

I do property management for the electric company out here. I get to buy, sell and manage properties all throughout my home state.

What do you do?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, I always hated that question at parties.  It always seemed to be the default way of meeting someone.  Thus sizing them up by what their profession.  Also I never got the sense that person asking the question really cared what I did.  It was the way to fill the empty space.  

And by in large most people's occupation are really uninteresting.  I suppose if my job (which I enjoy BTW) was interesting to anyone, but me, I would have a different outlook on the question, but my job is real dull and technical unless you work in the Banking Industry.  

Instead I am the father of 2 great kids, a husband to a great lady, a curler, and a music fan.  That is far more interesting then I work for the largest Financial Services company in the world implementing banking software around the country.    

God, I always hated that question at parties.  It always seemed to be the default way of meeting someone.  Thus sizing them up by what their profession.  Also I never got the sense that person asking the question really cared what I did.  It was the way to fill the empty space.  

And by in large most people's occupation are really uninteresting.  I suppose if my job (which I enjoy BTW) was interesting to anyone, but me, I would have a different outlook on the question, but my job is real dull and technical unless you work in the Banking Industry.  

Instead I am the father of 2 great kids, a husband to a great lady, a curler, and a music fan.  That is far more interesting then I work for the largest Financial Services company in the world implementing banking software around the country.    

Well in my defense it took me 12 years to ask that question on this board so I think I broke the ice a long time ago!

Lol

On the same token for me I got two great young kids, great wife, love to travel, eating exotic food and a live music junky!

I'm an attorney though I've been working part-time since last fall to help with the care of my dad, who was diagnosed with stage four Hodgkin's lymphoma last year. Now that his health is stable (thank you, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center), I'm looking to resume my career and kinda start over (preferably in Chicago - where I was planning to move before his diagnosis). Given that I know about three people in Chicago and am from the Deep South, if anyone has any contacts up that way I'd REALLY appreciate a hookup.

Well in my defense it took me 12 years to ask that question on this board so I think I broke the ice a long time ago!

Lol

On the same token for me I got two great young kids, great wife, love to travel, eating exotic food and a live music junky!

I didn't mean to shit on your question, but I cringe when I am in a social situation where I am meeting new people and know that question is coming up.  

I always like John Hodgman's party question.  Which would you prefer as your superpower, flight or invisibility? Explain why.  

I didn't mean to shit on your question, but I cringe when I am in a social situation where I am meeting new people and know that question is coming up.  

I always like John Hodgman's party question.  Which would you prefer as your superpower, flight or invisibility? Explain why.  

No I hear ya! I do too sometimes..

and to answer your question depends how fast can I fly? If it is fast I would save a ton on airfare :)

I hate the question too, but I think it's because my job has very little to do with the type of person I am or what my true interests are. I never know if I'm in the majority or minority as a person who cares very little about his job.

I often say that the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life is my choice of college major, which was chosen as a means to funnel me towards a specific vocation that I usually regret every single day.